ADVERTISEMENT

Recruiting Update Thread

In reality, Richardson’s speed has kind of been a myth his whole career at UCF. Obviously, he’s incredibly fast (of course). But Malzahn has never really found consistent ways to get him the ball in the open field - so his elite speed has been wasted. He probably would have been better served to play in a Scott Frost offense.

Harvey is actually the guy that has had “top off the defense” moments - what I would consider plays of 50 yards or more.
I agree, Gus doesn't seem to know how to use him. He seems to go down rather easy when hit.

Reactions: ucffan642
I agree, Gus doesn't seem to know how to use him. He seems to go down rather easy when hit.
I think Gus had to use him in roles he wasn't built for last season due to a lack of depth at the running back position, which sure as heck won't be a problem in 2024.

Latest rumor is that the Alabama football team is transferring to UCF. :)
Haven't checked headlines for 2-3 days and incoming transfers are going crazy.
Who wants to guess the 2 deep now in the fall?

Alabama to Orlando

University Of Central Florida Win GIF by UCF Knights

i have to say i'm really liking the FCS and MAC transfers because their motivations are different. they aren't leaving because they aren't good enough, they're leaving because they want better exposure.
I knew someone who became a coach in the Big Ten after being in the MAC for sometime. He said the talent level that he had at the top tier on his team in the MAC was better than the Big Ten team although the depth was stronger in the Big Ten. Ironically his MAC teams had 7 wins over BCS teams including the Big 10, ACC & SEC

UCF is trending for 2025 CB Robert Jones.

Tyler Williams as well.

The other* Tyler Williams.

Seems like it though this guy looks like depth at this point. Kobe and xavier look to be wr1 & wr2. The bama transfer may be in the mix too with his size
Ja'Varrius Johnson ain't a "depth piece."

Gus didn't offer a "depth piece" the very instant he hit the portal on Dec. 15.

Texas A&M was considering Johnson for its top slot WR role, given the gruesome injury suffered by Troy transfer Jabre Barber, who was one of the nation's most explosive slot receivers (999 yards) in 2023, during the A&M spring game.

I haven't been posting over and over and over about a "depth piece" since last year. I have mentioned Ja'Varrius no fewer than 20 different posts.

Ja'Varrius is one of the crown jewels of UCF's signing class. No transfer on the Knights roster is more Day 1 ready to be an immediate impact player for UCF than Ja'Varrius Johnson.

Reactions: 90Knight
Ja'Varrius Johnson ain't a "depth piece."

Gus didn't offer a "depth piece" the very instant he hit the portal on Dec. 15.

Texas A&M was considering Johnson for its top slot WR role, given the gruesome injury suffered by Troy transfer Jabre Barber, who was one of the nation's most explosive slot receivers (999 yards) in 2023, during the A&M spring game.

I haven't been posting over and over and over about a "depth piece" since last year. I have mentioned Ja'Varrius no fewer than 20 different posts.

Ja'Varrius is one of the crown jewels of UCF's signing class. No transfer on the Knights roster is more Day 1 ready to be an immediate impact player for UCF than Ja'Varrius Johnson.
Probably really good, but hilarious you complaining about someone calling him a depth piece and you disagree by posting he literally was a depth piece.

Reactions: connerito
Who does he replace? Unless he replaces kobe, xavier, or the 6’5 bama transfer he is a depth piece. Im haply he will replace whittemore so pencil him in as WR4
You keep mentioning a 6'5 Alabama transfer. Maybe I missed it, but who are you talking about? I assume Jacoby Jones (Ohio transfer) was going to be WR3 after Kobe and X. Now Johnson (Auburn transfer) is certainly in that mix. I am happy to have 4 good WRs. Last year when Kobe was hurt I felt like there was a noticed drop off. We need depth. Injuries are going to happen.

You keep mentioning a 6'5 Alabama transfer. Maybe I missed it, but who are you talking about? I assume Jacoby Jones (Ohio transfer) was going to be WR3 after Kobe and X. Now Johnson (Auburn transfer) is certainly in that mix. I am happy to have 4 good WRs. Last year when Kobe was hurt I felt like there was a noticed drop off. We need depth. Injuries are going to happen.
A walk on.

UCF Football Leads Big 12 Recruiting Rankings for 2025

Honest Question: What is stopping Gus & UCF from becoming the next Dabo & Clemson (2010-2016) of the Big 12 over the next five years*?

(*Besides HS offensive tackle recruiting)

Clemson's record (2010-2016)
2010: 9-5
2011: 6-7
2012: 10-4
2013: 11-2
2014: 10-3
2015: 14-1 NCAA runner up
2016: 14-1 NCAA champ

UCF's record
2022: 9-5
2023: 6-7
2024: ???

Last edited:
If Kobe moves to X and Xavier to Z, then Ja'Varrius becomes the slot.

If Agiye Hall takes over X and Kobe retains Z, then Xavier will watch a lot good football.
If Agiye takes over X, Kobe and Xavier will start with him. Ja'Varrius will be first off the bench behind Kobe or Xavier. But it's more likely to be Kobe at X, Xavier at Z, and Ja'Varrius at the slot.

If Agiye takes over X, Kobe and Xavier will start with him. Ja'Varrius will be first off the bench behind Kobe or Xavier. But it's more likely to be Kobe at X, Xavier at Z, and Ja'Varrius at the slot.
I am going to explain it to you like this big dawg.

Javon Baker enrolled at UCF on June 8 after having only 9 receptions for 116 yards over 19 game appearances at uat. Despite joining the Knights just two months prior to the 2023 season, Baker finished with 56 catches for 796 yards and 5 TDs.

Now consider this ...

Gus literally "hid" Agiye (5 receptions for 79 yards over 10 game appearances) at UCF as a "regular student" for an entire semester before announcing he was "walking on" to the football team the very day prior to Ja'Varrius Johnson (former No. 1 WR at an SEC program) "announcing" his commitment to UCF. Johnson, BTW, entered the portal during the winter window on Dec. 15 and did not commit to UCF until just two days ago (May 14)--long after the portal closed on April 30 for regular transfers and May 1 for grad transfers.

Why do you think Gus went to such extremes and was so secretive about two guys he knew were going to be Knights all along?

@LoboCane Help me out here. Am I wrong to think a former SEC No. 1 WR of two years is better than a former AAC No 3 WR of one year?

Last edited:

Javon Baker enrolled at UCF on June 8 after having only 9 receptions for 116 yards over 19 game appearances at uat. Despite joining the Knights just two months prior to the 2023 season, Baker finished with 56 catches for 796 yards and 5 TDs.

Now consider this ...

Gus literally "hid" Agiye (5 receptions for 79 yards over 10 game appearances) at UCF as a "regular student" for an entire semester before announcing he was "walking on" to the football team the very day prior to Ja'Varrius Johnson (former No. 1 WR at an SEC program) "announcing" his commitment to UCF. Johnson, BTW, entered the portal during the winter window on Dec. 15 and did not commit to UCF until just two days ago (May 14)--long after the portal closed on April 30 for regular transfers and May 1 for grad transfers.

Why do you think Gus went to such extremes and was so secretive about two guys he knew were going to be Knights all along?

@LoboCane Help me out here. Am I wrong to think a former SEC No. 1 WR of two years is better than a former AAC No 3 WR of one year?
We'll see.....but I'm going to explain this to you little dawg.....dissing on Xavier won't win you any points on this Board. And, BTW, Xavier was a B12 No 3 WR last year with 33 Rec for 325 Yds, comparable yards and more receptions than Ja'Varrius. As I previously wrote, I think both will start Game 1 if they're healthy.

This javarious transfer was big and he is definitely talented but Xavier Townsend is a special talent. He needs the ball. I have no idea how they will incorporate all the talent with the RBs and WRs, it’s deeper than we’ve ever had…one ball and all…

Reactions: Oldest Man
Btw, maybe more of a wrench being thrown in the mix, but I have it on pretty good authority he left Auburn for lack of targets and is expecting to start. Who sits if he starts? I’m thinking he plays the slot and Kobe and X on the outside I guess. We’d be small if that was the case, no idea how Gus plans it.

Frankie Arthur did not qualify due to bad grades. That explains the lack of interest in him during his senior year.

Now consider this ...

No need to get your panties in a bunch. We filled the clown car back up with talent so i dont care who comes off the bench

Reactions: connerito
No need to get your panties in a bunch. We filled the clown car back up with talent so i dont care who comes off the bench
Apologies if I came across as a smart azz!

Was just trying to explain the events that unfolded in a manner that clearly showed why they happened at the time and in the way they did.

Had Ja'Varrius Johnson* committed and enrolled at UCF during the winter window, He or Xavier Townsend would have transferred out during the Spring window. And by "He or Xavier" I mean Xavier. UCF is the HUGE winner here.

Imagine this starting lineup:

KJ Jefferson -- Arkansas
RJ Harvey -- Virginia
Agiye Hall -- uat/Texas
Ja'Varrius Johnson -- Auburn (former SEC No. 1 WR)
Kobe Hudson -- Auburn (former SEC No. 1 WR)
Randy Pittman -- former FSU commit

That's Group 1

Now imagine

Jacarri Brown - u
Peny Boone - Maryland
Jacoby Jones - Ohio
Xavier Townsend - former Iowa State* commit
Chauncey Magwood - Kentucky

That's Group 2

With Trent Whittemore -- Florida, Jarrad Baker, and Bredell Richardson coming off the bench for special situations.

Now imagine that you don't have to imagine it.

*NOTE: Johnson was a May graduate of Auburn so he really couldn't enroll at UCF in the spring. Thus, his commitment "announcement" was delayed to keep UCF's recruiting class of WR and current WR group intact.

Last edited:

Was just trying to explain the events that unfolded in a manner that clearly showed why they happened at the time and in the way they did.

Had Ja'Varrius Johnson* committed and enrolled at UCF during the winter window, He or Xavier Townsend would have transferred out during the Spring window. And by "He or Xavier" I mean Xavier. UCF is the HUGE winner here.

KJ Jefferson -- Arkansas
RJ Harvey -- Virginia
Agiye Hall -- uat/Texas

That's Group 1

Now imagine

Jacarri Brown - u
Peny Boone - Maryland
Jacoby Jones - Ohio
Xavier Townsend - former Pitt commit

That's Group 2

With Trent Whittemore -- Florida, Jarrad Baker, and Bredell Richardson coming off the bench for special situations.

*NOTE: Johnson was a May graduate of Auburn so he really couldn't enroll at UCF in the spring. Thus, his commitment "announcement" was delayed to keep UCF's recruiting class of WR and current WR group intact.
That's quite a list (both Group 1 and Group 2) of playmakers. And your previous explanation of timing was not unreasonable although it's just one of many scenarios that could have been behind how this played out. In any case, expectations are going through the roof and UCF has been spotlighted in most major publications as having one of the best transfer portal rankings.

The bottom line is we have these athletes, now what's Gus gonna do with them? Come fall, the rubber will meet the road and the only rankings that will matter will be decided on the field. Looking forward to seeing if Gus can Coach these guys up to the level of the hype. My biggest concern is QB. With athletes like this, our QB will have to distribute the ball (both running and passing) and that means being smart running the ball and accurate throwing the ball. KJ has yet to show that he can do both to the degree that will be required to make UCF a top contender in the B12 (and nationally). He's "that guy", the most important person as well as the biggest question mark on your list. Gus' immediate response when discussing KJ is always that he's "got the experience" and that he's not worried about KJ. I hope he's right but the jury's still out and we'll see starting in Sept.

Last edited:
Reactions: Yaes

UCF Football Leads Big 12 Recruiting Rankings for 2025

Honest Question: What is stopping Gus & UCF from becoming the next Dabo & Clemson (2010-2016) of the Big 12 over the next five years*?

(*Besides HS offensive tackle recruiting)

Clemson's record (2010-2016)
2010: 9-5
2011: 6-7
2012: 10-4
2013: 11-2
2014: 10-3
2015: 14-1 NCAA runner up
2016: 14-1 NCAA champ

UCF's record
2022: 9-5
2023: 6-7
2024: ???
Only thing that can stop the Gus bus is Gus himself…

KJ Jefferson -- Arkansas
RJ Harvey -- Virginia
Agiye Hall -- uat/Texas

That's Group 1

Now imagine

Jacarri Brown - u
Peny Boone - Maryland
Jacoby Jones - Ohio
Xavier Townsend - former Pitt commit

That's Group 2

I thought Xavier Townsend was a former Iowa St. commit.

Reactions: AuburnLegacy_1
I thought Xavier Townsend was a former Iowa St. commit.
Correct.

UCF folks underestimate Ja'Varrius Johnson.

Johnson had only 18 offers and took only one official visit. He committed to Auburn on June 08, 2018 prior to his junior season. He didn't sign with Auburn until Dec. 19, 2019.

Everyone knew he was going to play for Gus. H*ll, he almost transferred to UCF in 2022, before Auburn dropped a bag and promised him the world at the last minute.
  • 12184760.jpg

February 02, 2022: Transfer Portal

Ja'Varrius Johnson entered the transfer portal

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT