ADVERTISEMENT

True or False? Geoff Collins interviewed for the UCF HC job

Brandon

Publisher
Staff
May 28, 2001
Winter Park, FL
www.ucfsports.com
Geoff Collins was a guest this week on the 'Saturday Down South' podcast. He's the former head coach at Georgia Tech and Temple. His on-field coaching career in FBS began with George O'Leary at UCF in 2008-09. He was also a defensive coordinator at Mississippi State and Florida.

At around the 53:00 mark, Collins was asked: "True or false, you interviewed for the UCF job after the 2015 season when Scott Frost got it?"

Geoff Collins: "The answer is false. I saw the same rumors. I think UCF is a great program. I know they brand themselves as the future of college football. I don't know that they're wrong. That's a great place, great fanbase, great recruiting area, all those things.

"One of the posts from 2015, Randy Shannon who was the co-DC/linebackers coach (at Florida), we were sitting next to each other in the defensive staff room. There was a post that got sent to me: 'Geoff Collins interviewed for the UCF head job, Randy Shannon to follow.' I was like, Was I there? Were you going this afternoon? Neither of those reports were accurate. It was flattering to get mentioned."

I went back and found the initial report, which was from Football Scoop on Nov. 24, 2015.

UCF: Per sources, new AD Danny White plans to interview both Geoff Collins and Randy Shannon from Jim McElwain’s staff at Florida. Separate sources believe that Dino Babers is expected to interview as well. We also have been told that Gene Chizik has been discussed as well. As more becomes clear we’ll keep you posted.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News