ADVERTISEMENT

UCF Basketball: Johnny Dawkins, Omar Payne & Jaylin Sellers reflect on Texas road trip, preview West Virginia home game

Brandon

Publisher
Staff
May 28, 2001
Winter Park, FL
www.ucfsports.com
UCF went 1-1 during their Lone Star State trip last week, rallying to beat Texas 77-71 last Wednesday and then dropping a 57-42 decision at No. 5 Houston on Saturday.

On Tuesday, UCF hosts West Virginia, a team that's coming off a court-storming win against Kansas. The Mountaineers struggled in non-conference play, but are now finding their rhythm now that talented guard RaeQuan Battle is eligible.

Coach Johnny Dawkins, Omar Payne and Jaylin Sellers appeared at Monday's press conference.

Johnny Dawkins

Looking back on last week, Dawkins thought it was a "good win" at Texas. He thought it was a great team win, the guys kept fighting and kept competing. Proud of their effort.

Give Houston credit, particularly for their tough defense. They didn't respond well. It will be a learning experience going forward.

Dawkins said the must "regroup and respond" going into the West Virginia. WVU is terrific now that they're healthy and everybody is eligible.

Dawkins then addressed the "classless" accusations from Longhorns coach Rodney Terry, who was upset by the Knights' postgame celebration.

"I didn't see anything because I walked off the floor. We didn't switch ends, so I didn't see what transpired at the time. For me, I just walked off the court. I didn't hear about any of that until I was in the press conference. So as you can imagine, I was a little surprised.

"But I know Coach Terry. Rodney is a good guy. Basketball is an emotional sport, like all sports. It's very emotional. Things can happen like that. But I thought our guys, like anyone that wins a game like that, they were excited about the win. That was the extent of it. I think when they went to the shake line, everyone was cordial and shook hands like we always do sportsmanship wise. That was the extent of what we did.

"Were they happy? They should be. Any team that wins any game should be excited. You invest so much in each one of these games in preparation. So when you win, it's big. I'm sure when they won the other night against Baylor they were very excited. That's the extent of it.

"I know Coach Terry. He's a good guy. It's one of those things that happens in our sport."

Dawkins was asked whether Rodney Terry had personally reached out to him.

"No, I have not spoken with him. Like I said, I do know him. We're friends. There's no real need on my end. I understand that emotions can run hot in those situations. We're human beings. I did read somewhere that he did apologize publicly for it. That says a lot. That means he's taking ownership of what happened and we move forward."

Looking back on Houston's smothering defense and how difficult they made things for UCF's offense, Dawkins said they have to learn how to play through the physicality. He thinks they'll improve from it.

Dawkins says he feels they defended well vs. Houston. That's what they hang their hat on.

Looking at West Virginia, they're starting to click after some early struggles. RaeQuan Battle was declared eligible to play in mid-December and he's averaging close to 20 points per game. Big man Jesse Edwards, their second-leading scorer and top rebounder, may return to action vs. UCF after being out with an injury. Dawkins says WVU has a lot of talent and are well coached. They're playing their best basketball right now.

Dawkins is hoping to see another big home crowd vs. WVU. He wants UCF to continue to show a big home-court advantage like you see in the rest of the Big 12.

On RaeQuan Battle, he's a three-level scorer. Long, athletic. Can drive and shoot from mid-range and long range. "He's a really good basketball player."

On Jaylin Sellers' health, he's improving. He didn't start vs. Texas because he hadn't practiced the day before.

On Shemarri Allen's offensive game, he was huge in the comeback win against Texas, scoring 15 points in the second half. He's a team captain. Dawkins says he's a natural leader and loves what he brings from that perspective. They know he can be a scorer, it's just about getting comfortable on the court.

Talking more about Shemarri, Dawkins says he has a great knowledge of the game and he's a great communicator. And he's very positive. That's why guys gravitate towards him.

Dawkins says this team is full of high-character individuals. They are resilient and believe they can always win, even despite early defiicits. Dawkins always watches effort and energy and his says this team has always impressed him in how they compete for 40 minutes.

Omar Payne

Looking back on the Texas comeback, Payne says they can't continue to get down early on. It was a great feeling getting the win though.

Payne has a great relationship with his center teammate Ibrahima Diallo. They hang out off the court, they like going to eat.

On Texas coach Rodney Terry screaming at the UCF players, Payne said it was a great win. He wasn't too sure why Terry was screaming at them. They weren't trying to be rude to the Texas players. It was more towards the crowd.

On the Houston game, Payne says they have come out more aggressive. UH has the No. 1 ranked defense and he thinks UCF can be just as good defensively.

On WVU, Payne played against them his sophomore year at Florida. He knows they're a good team. They're getting back on track with a full roster.

WVU center Jesse Edwards could return from injury vs. UCF. He's a 7-footer, so he and Diallo need to be ready and box out.

Payne has played in the SEC and Big Ten. He thinks the Big 12 is similar with the pace. It's like a mixture of both. He reiterated the Big 12 is the best conference in the country.

Payne is hoping to see the "stands filled" vs. WVU.

Jaylin Sellers

Looking back on the Texas game, Sellers says they have a lot of "fight" and they will "never give up" no matter the score. Sellers was proud of how they stayed composed in that game.

Sellers says he has a great relationship with Darius Johnson.

Looking at Houston's defense and what they need to do better, Sellers says they must make the simple plays. If you have a shot, take it. If you don't have a shot, don't force it. And learn how to play through contact and not get rattled.

Every game is a learning process for him.

On WVU, they're a good three-point shooting team. They just knocked off Kansas, so they have a lot of confidence. On RaeQuan Battle, he's a versatile guard and can do it all. Three-level scorer.

On his personal motivations, Sellers does everything for his family, whether it's his family at home or his UCF family.

It'll be good to see the "fronds back at the crib" on Tuesday and he's hoping to give the fans a win after losing their home game to BYU.

Sellers think they've proved to the Big 12 that they're here to stay. They were offended by the preseason last place prediction.

On playing with Shemarri Allen, Sellers says they've always wanted him to step up his offensive game because they know he can do it. Allen is a natural leader too.

Sellers can see that CJ Walker is getting closer to 100 percent. As for his personal health, Sellers says he's getting over his sickness that affected him last week.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News