ADVERTISEMENT

10 Things Teachers DID NOT Have to Deal With 10 Years Ago

Brandon

Publisher
Staff
May 28, 2001
Winter Park, FL
www.ucfsports.com
I thought this was an interesting piece.

==

Something is wrong—very, very wrong. Teachers across the country at all grade levels, in all subjects, teaching a wide variety of student populations, can sense it. There is a pulse of dysfunction, a steady palpitation of doom that the path we are on is not properly oriented.

There is a raw and amorphous anxiety creeping into the psyche of the corps of American teachers.

We may have trouble pinpointing the exact moment when something in our schools and broader culture went wildly astray, leaving in its wake teachers sapped of optimism and weighted with enervate comprehension. The following is a small sampling—this list could easily have been twice as long if my conversations with fellow teachers are any indication—of problems that teachers were not facing ten years ago.

https://theeducatorsroom.com/10-things-teachers-did-not-have-to-deal-with-10-years-ago/

Partially discredited itself right here ...

"#6: Fear of School Shootings and Lock-Downs: It is true that Columbine was nineteen years ago, but it is also true that the frequency of school shootings are accelerating."

It needs to rephrase ...

"#6: Fear of School Shootings and Lock-Downs: It is true that Columbine was nineteen years ago, but it is also perception that the frequency of school shootings are accelerating."

Reactions: 1ofTheseKnights
i read something a couple months ago. it was a blog post by a long time teacher. at the beginning of every school year she would ask the parents to just write a letter to her about their children to better understand them.

10 years ago shed get a massive stack of paper back. maybe 1 or 2 parents wouldnt write to her. now shes lucky if she gets 20% of the parents to write to her.

that is the major problem we have now. lack of parental involvement.

Reactions: Knight_Light
for those too lazy to read it
#1: The Inability to Punish Students:
#2: Cell Phone Addiction:
#3: Online Bullying:
#4: Pep Rallies for Standardized Testing:
#5: Constant Student Anxiety:
#6: Fear of School Shootings and Lock-Downs:
#7: Heroin, Opioid Epidemics:
#8: Politicized Schools:
#9: Era of “feelings” where students are never wrong:
#10: Naked Utilitarianism in Education:

8 years of President H. Rap Brown didn't quite bring about the age of enlightenment that you liberals thought it would, did it ?

"Get in their faces!"

-Guess who ?

Too many people view school as daycare and teachers as substitute parents. I'd kill some of those little bastards if I were a teacher.
“Children” back in the day were actually taught as well. Greatest generation actually taught cursive, Latin, Greek etc

Byproduct of bad businesses, media & hollywood wrecking the family in just a few short generations. Screw the nuclear family!

Without diving into the article and going point-counterpoint, I think all 10 of the things listed are true on their face. Dive into each one though and the 'why' and 'what to do about it' are going to have multiple positions.

Need to share this with the wife. She’s going through this now. Had hope 9 years ago of making an impact on kids lives but there is only so much you can do when you get constricted from the top and when the parents don’t care. It’s really become a daycare.
Teachers have the worst jobs for the lowest pay, even with a Master's degree.

My wife got out of the primary classroom last decade (after 6 years) for a reason, and got a second Master's degree while working on grants. She then taught adults as she worked on her PhD (which she completed in '17), but that paid far less.

Thought she had a professorship with tenure track position at a private college here in Alabama, as she was over-qualified and the Dean loved my wife. Long story short, we think it was because of our Christian denomination when it came to review at a higher level, of which they are entitled to their preferences as a private entity.

Now interviewing with a public university about 2 hours away. Rentals are cheap there, so it's looking like our best move. Really want to get back to being DINK, 6 years of SINK (other than $10-15K/year in on-line teaching) has gotten old.

Doesn't say anything about not receiving raises, paying more for benefits, and having their unions destroyed. (At least in Florida)

Parents don't pay attention any more because they don't have time to when they are both forced into working jobs.

Doesn't say anything about not receiving raises, paying more for benefits, and having their unions destroyed. (At least in Florida)
^^^ This is utter BS. Non-teacher pay has skyrocketed while teacher pay has gone nowhere. More money has never been the solution. Unions have been part of the problem, especially when you factor in tenure and those issues.

Parents don't pay attention any more because they don't have time to when they are both forced into working jobs.
^^^ Okay, now you're just trolling.

Uhhhhhhh... No, it is just a fact of life. Many, many, families have both parents working and that number has been growing fpr a long time.

Reactions: Crazyhole
Uhhhhhhh... No, it is just a fact of life. Many, many, families have both parents working and that number has been growing fpr a long time.

Sure two parents are working in most families. It plateaued in 1990 and is not the reason some parents don't care about their kids education. If it were the cause teachers would have had been having these problems with parents for nearly 30 years.

FT_dual-income-households-1960-20121.png

Reactions: UCFWayne

I'm sorry, but any one that disputes this as a reasonable consideration is living in fantasyland. It is most certainly a factor. Shit happens and people have to do what it takes to make ends meet, and unfortunately one of the things that ends up suffering is the level of involvement between parent and child. It isn't just greed or self fulfillment that diminishes a parents involvement in their kids lives, sometimes it's out of the necessity to provide and stay out of poverty.

I'd say it has more to do with wages for 90+% of Americans being stagnant since the Reagan era.
So you're admitting some of the "work Visa" and "off-shore" and "outsourcing" non-sense accelerated under Clinton?

While I do agree more families have both parents working, that’s not the actual issue.

Part of me thinks/hopes it’s a temporary thing but kids are not “taught” the same values they used to. I’m not talking “good Christian values” either, I’m talking just being a nice, hard working, polite person.

I was taught that way, I would teach my children the same. I won’t be having children though so...

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT