ADVERTISEMENT

2017 Undefeated UCF Football season?

CFKnight

Silver Knight
Aug 5, 2009
Maybe I've gone crazy in the offseason with no relevant sports to watch or talk about...

But... why not?

Can we go 12-0 in 2017 regular season?

We all believe Frost is the coach to get us back to a NY6 bowl.

I know it's easy to point at Milton and say we are far from perfect. Bortles wasn't a star right out of high school. Milton has the potential with a strong cast around him to beat anyone on our schedule.

Our marque OoC matchups are middle of the pack P6. That's the perfect schedule! We aren't playing Texas at Texas or Penn State in Ireland. It's just random middle of the pack P6 teams that will likely go 6-6.

Our AAC schedule is something we should be near the top of year in and year out. I love our conference but we shouldn't be quaking in our boots about Memphis or USF.

We can could be sitting on the dark horse of the 2017 season.

Let's go! Charge On!

Last edited:
Maybe I've gone crazy in the offseason with no relevant sports to watch or talk about...

But... why not?

I know it's easy to point at Milton and say we are far from perfect. Bortles wasn't a star right out of high school. Milton has the potential with a strong cast around him to beat anyone on our schedule.

Our marque OoC matchups are middle of the pack P6. That's the perfect schedule! We aren't playing Texas at Texas or Penn State in Ireland. It's just random middle of the pack P6 teams that will likely go 6-6.

Our AAC schedule is something we should be near the top of year in and year out. I love our conference but we shouldn't be quaking in our boots about Memphis or USF.

Let's go! Charge On!
Odds are probably 500-1 we go undefeated. But Penn st in Ireland both times we played them were middle of the pack. The year we played Ohio St was their down year too. You don't know till season is over how good teams may be. Maryland could surprise people. I doubt it but you never know.

But... why not?

Let's go! Charge On!
no maybe....you have gone crazy. It's OK, I used to drink the kool-aid also (years ago).....but if you witnessed the bowl game.....we're not so good.

no maybe....you have gone crazy. It's OK, I used to drink the kool-aid also (years ago).....but if you witnessed the bowl game.....we're not so good.

The bowl game has 0 (maybe even less than 0 if thats possible) bearing on this years team.

Also, yes he has gone crazy. Even in small conferences, going undefeated is VERY VERY HARD.

The bowl game has 0 (maybe even less than 0 if thats possible) bearing on this years team.

Also, yes he has gone crazy. Even in small conferences, going undefeated is VERY VERY HARD.
How can you say zero? It was the closest game to the end of the season. We played a good (not unbelievable) team that made us look horrible and embarrassing. So I don't see how you can say "zero" bearing. We have some work to do. Hopefully this year we would be able to at least keep up with an "Arkansas State" team that was really good. Respectfully I disagree. I used to drink the early Kool-aid and think...OMG we are going to be so much better. But the reality is....we could be better, but We're not going to be "Blake Bortles" better :)....this is my opinion :)

How can you say zero? It was the closest game to the end of the season. We played a good (not unbelievable) team that made us look horrible and embarrassing. So I don't see how you can say "zero" bearing. We have some work to do. Hopefully this year we would be able to at least keep up with an "Arkansas State" team that was really good. Respectfully I disagree. I used to drink the early Kool-aid and think...OMG we are going to be so much better. But the reality is....we could be better, but We're not going to be "Blake Bortles" better :)....this is my opinion :)
Because we were a first year team, coach and the only players who fit our positions on offense were largely freshmen thrown into the fire to play.
Also we have basically a new defense, most of our starters will be different, especially our secondary (who got embarrassed by AK State).
We also have another recruiting class, and full year of practice that will be with us going into this season.

In sum
We lost more players who didnt fit our system, but also didnt really lose any talent at all on offense. Add to that adding new players who do fit
Our whole line plus new guys are in.
We added a spring and now summer of practice to nail down our playbook.

That added together, we should be significantly better than last year. Heck we could have the same exact team as last year no additions, and if u add a year of practice in our system (so that its no longer a foreign language to half the players), we would still be twice as good.

Because we were a first year team, coach and the only players who fit our positions on offense were largely freshmen thrown into the fire to play.
Also we have basically a new defense, most of our starters will be different, especially our secondary (who got embarrassed by AK State).
We also have another recruiting class, and full year of practice that will be with us going into this season.

In sum
We lost more players who didnt fit our system, but also didnt really lose any talent at all on offense. Add to that adding new players who do fit
Our whole line plus new guys are in.
We added a spring and now summer of practice to nail down our playbook.

That added together, we should be significantly better than last year. Heck we could have the same exact team as last year no additions, and if u add a year of practice in our system (so that its no longer a foreign language to half the players), we would still be twice as good.
How do you quantify twice as good? It all depends on QB play. Everything else won't matter if we can't score points. Remember last year our defense and ST were responsible for a good amount of points and we still didn't win 8 games.

How do you quantify twice as good? It all depends on QB play. Everything else won't matter if we can't score points. Remember last year our defense and ST were responsible for a good amount of points and we still didn't win 8 games.

QBS always get too much credit when the O does well and too much blame when things don't work out so well.

Not minimizing the importance of qb play, the success or failure of this UCF offense depends on how improved the OL would be. A great OL could make an average qb look great, but great QBs look average without great OL play.

Knowing coach Frost since he was 9 years old and having followed his career as a player and coach, I know the OL and improving their performance has been and continues to be his top priority here without neglecting the fact that the qb play here must improve.

As an old OL coach and having watched a few Spring practices and some Summer workouts here, I think this OL is improving and that is the best news for the UCF QBs.

There is a reason Vegas has set the UCF's win total at 7.5 and I think this team has a great shot at beating that line by a few games. The future of the UCF program is indeed a bright one under this HC and his staff, but patience is needed.

In coach Frost I trust.

Go Knights my second favorite team in college football.

Two seasons ago, UCF was better than their 0-12 record. That pain was a combination of too many injuries early in the season... and coaches that couldn't get out of their own way... (Bresnahan was just God awful)

The rebound under Frost should have been a little expected. Better coaches and healthy players help a heck of a lot... but as others above have noted, O'Leary's players don't necessarily fit Frost's game of football. Frost has basically one and a half classes (technically two, but many of the first year signees were O'Leary recruits).

Looking at the UCF schedule, making a bowl game is virtually guaranteed. Maine, FIU, Memphis at home, ECU at home, U Conn at home, and @ SMU should give the Knights 6 wins in the bag. I think UCF can win two of the other three AAC road games @Cincy, @Temple, and @Navy... So that's 8 wins.

Ga Tech is a lot like Navy, of course... and it's at home. Maryland on the road could be the toughtest game of the year until Thanksgiving.

To be honest, I think the USF-UCF game at the end of the season could decide the Eastern Conference.

Reactions: G-Knight
Two seasons ago, UCF was better than their 0-12 record. That pain was a combination of too many injuries early in the season... and coaches that couldn't get out of their own way... (Bresnahan was just God awful)

The rebound under Frost should have been a little expected. Better coaches and healthy players help a heck of a lot... but as others above have noted, O'Leary's players don't necessarily fit Frost's game of football. Frost has basically one and a half classes (technically two, but many of the first year signees were O'Leary recruits).

Looking at the UCF schedule, making a bowl game is virtually guaranteed. Maine, FIU, Memphis at home, ECU at home, U Conn at home, and @ SMU should give the Knights 6 wins in the bag. I think UCF can win two of the other three AAC road games @Cincy, @Temple, and @Navy... So that's 8 wins.

Ga Tech is a lot like Navy, of course... and it's at home. Maryland on the road could be the toughtest game of the year until Thanksgiving.

To be honest, I think the USF-UCF game at the end of the season could decide the Eastern Conference.
Hope so but you guys could be undefeated if defense is even remotely decent.

Every game on our schedule is winnable. GT, Maryland, and USF are good but not unbeatable.

But every team has bad days, injuries, etc. Never know when we're going to be playing in ice storm and coach forgot the space heaters. Going undefeated is very hard even if you're better than every team on your schedule.

Every game on our schedule is winnable. GT, Maryland, and USF are good but not unbeatable.

But every team has bad days, injuries, etc. Never know when we're going to be playing in ice storm and coach forgot the space heaters. Going undefeated is very hard even if you're better than every team on your schedule.
Hopefully we beat 1 out of those 3. I'll take it. If we beat 2, we're having a amazing season

I don't think Memphis at home and SMU on the road are guaranteed wins at all. Also, does playing Maine count towards our wins needed to make a bowl game?

He didn't forget them. He ordered them not to be turned on.

Reactions: Mikesi
It's expensive for home games for us. I have 3 kids so I need 5 tickets plus food and hotel and gas money. Usually runs me $500 each game. I rarely go to away games unless in South Florida.

It's expensive for home games for us. I have 3 kids so I need 5 tickets plus food and hotel and gas money. Usually runs me $500 each game. I rarely go to away games unless in South Florida.
Wow. Now I know why you're always asking about it the game is televised.

Wow. Now I know why you're always asking about it the game is televised.
I usually know the tv details. Also why my cable bill is astronomical. I need every channel to not miss a game. I could go by myself to the games but that isn't as much fun and I like to bring the wife and kids when I go to Orlando. I feel guilty if he take a mini vacation without them.

I usually know the tv details. Also why my cable bill is astronomical. I need every channel to not miss a game. I could go by myself to the games but that isn't as much fun and I like to bring the wife and kids when I go to Orlando. I feel guilty if he take a mini vacation without them.
For sure! Have to bring the family.

QBS always get too much credit when the O does well and too much blame when things don't work out so well.

Not minimizing the importance of qb play, the success or failure of this UCF offense depends on how improved the OL would be. A great OL could make an average qb look great, but great QBs look average without great OL play.

Knowing coach Frost since he was 9 years old and having followed his career as a player and coach, I know the OL and improving their performance has been and continues to be his top priority here without neglecting the fact that the qb play here must improve.

As an old OL coach and having watched a few Spring practices and some Summer workouts here, I think this OL is improving and that is the best news for the UCF QBs.

There is a reason Vegas has set the UCF's win total at 7.5 and I think this team has a great shot at beating that line by a few games. The future of the UCF program is indeed a bright one under this HC and his staff, but patience is needed.

In coach Frost I trust.

Go Knights my second favorite team in college football.

Keep it going coach Frost and the Knights! As I said before the season started, this program is in very good hands with Frost!

Go Knights!!

I read through this thread thinking it was just posted today. I wondered how so many had such little faith after going 6-0 so far.

Reactions: Mikesi
Nobody saw this coming. Making a preseason prediction in 2016-2017 was a guessing game. Who even knew about Mike Hughes?

2018 predictions should be more accurate unless something drastic happens

I know the season is still relatively young but this years team has represented the conference well just like I hoped it would when GOL took reigns. Except for 2013 and maybe 2007 (ok 2010 bowl is fine but talking about regular season), when we were the best team in the conference we still managed to lose ooc games to P5/BCS conferences - losing to 5 win Missouri is the best example. Now as the best team so far in the American were repping ourselves well - winning by 28 at Maryland. when youre the best team in a lower ranked conference at least beat .500 p5 squad.
Go UCF. The season will be tough especially against SMU but lets aim for undefeated season.

Nobody saw this coming. Making a preseason prediction in 2016-2017 was a guessing game. Who even knew about Mike Hughes?

You called that one.

I knew.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT