ADVERTISEMENT

2019 AAC Preseason Position Previews: Quarterback

Brady White had one job last year: get the ball to Pollard and Henderson. He is more wait and see than the UCF situation. And holy crap; Barnett? Really?

Reactions: knightraveler
I thought King graduated 2 seasons ago :) Like KZ his biggest downside is his body size and ability to stay healthy.

King should be elite but I'm not hearing a lot of confidence in his recovery.

Ridder and White should improve with experience.

Barnett is a wait and see but with their new OC I expect better numbers. I know they're going to go over the middle more and that was a weak spot for us. So regarding Barnett, we are wait and see too.

Really decent list.

Navy, QB, hahahahahaah, what with 20 passes thrown all year, I guess it doesn't really matter who's QB, just as long as he's fast and can pitch the ball a foot or two.

Navy, QB, hahahahahaah, what with 20 passes thrown all year, I guess it doesn't really matter who's QB, just as long as he's fast and can pitch the ball a foot or two.
The position is just as important for navy as any other team, in my view. Making the wrong read means not getting your 3-4 yards and falling behind the chains or, even worse, a turnover/negative play.

Its not a ton but they did throw about 130 passes last year. Being able to make those passes count for big plays (the few times they try it) can be a huge difference.

I’d say the author put them in the Right category.

Reactions: UCFootball14
I think Temples guy and King are the two best for sure.

Brady White seemed more like a game manager than anything. I feel like you could take any QB from UCF and they would have been a 10+ win team last year.

Maybe Ridder has a big year and impresses. I didn’t see anything out of him last year that impressed me but to be fair I only watched him vs us and their bowl game.

Entertaining offseason reading based on nothing but last year results but meaningless when bullets start flying this fall. I would rather see an analysis on coaching and coordinators rather than last years position players. That’s the real tell IMO. Thinking UCF would be one of only a couple few at elite level on that one.

I think that Mack is going to start game #1. That could change if the offense struggles

It would be ashame if Wimbush transferred and didn’t start, but when you now have a quality program that has won 25 out of 26 game, you have to earn it. We need to win almost every game again. Can’t give any player a free pass. Wimbush will have to step his passing game up to a new level for him.

We’ve come a long way from 2014 when GOL picked Dinovo over Holman. He was terrible. Just not ready to play in a game like that

Stanford is one of our toughest games and would be a very nice win, but I was discussing it with some friends this evening and we all agreed that at Cincinnati will be our toughest challenge.
A Cincinnati loss would make winning the division twice as hard. If we don’t win the division then we end up in Birmingham in December.

Reactions: Ucfmikes
It would be ashame if Wimbush transferred and didn’t start, but when you now have a quality program that has won 25 out of 26 game, you have to earn it. We need to win almost every game again. Can’t give any player a free pass. Wimbush will have to step his passing game up to a new level for him.

We’ve come a long way from 2014 when GOL picked Dinovo over Holman. He was terrible. Just not ready to play in a game like that
In his defense he had to pick shit on a stick or drink his own urine. Neither choice was great.

Reactions: ahabmw and Ucfmikes
A Cincinnati loss would make winning the division twice as hard. If we don’t win the division then we end up in Birmingham in December.
Yes. It would basically mean that we couldn’t lose another conference game and they have to lose 2. We lose that game and we are screwed

They are going to be pretty seasoned after playing Ohio State and UCLA. The good news is that they do end their season at Memphis

That game and at Houston are their only other realistic chances at a conference loss

So.., all games are important, but that’s our #1. It’s like the Louisville game in 2013

Reactions: Stormthecourt?
Whoever is the starter is gonna be on a very short leash.....IMO with a potentially improved running game our offense should never struggle, we might just have to grind things out a little more than we are use to

I agree. If the offense sputters and it appears to be a QB issue I think there will be a change pretty fast...especially in the early season games. I trust that the coaches will play the best player without bias...especially if it is clear cut.

Whoever is the starter is gonna be on a very short leash.....IMO with a potentially improved running game our offense should never struggle, we might just have to grind things out a little more than we are use to

I agree. If the offense sputters and it appears to be a QB issue I think there will be a change pretty fast...especially in the early season games. I trust that the coaches will play the best player without bias...especially if it is clear cut.
It seems like it might not end up being a clear cut decision. I think it really might end up just being whoever makes the fewest mistakes.

"whoever makes the fewest mistakes"

That is what Coach Heup said in last month's meet-n-greets.

In my opinion it will be Wimbush. Being a dual threat with experience and only one year of eligibility. Why not use him.
Yea that was the point of the post. If it's a clear cut decision I think that would mean someone was really shinning and was doing better than just not making mistakes. If the decision is difficult to make, I would think nobody is a clear better decision so it would fall back on whoever makes the fewest mistakes.

Not sure if I'm making sense

Let's not forget Mack has the higher upside (more years left, more room to grow, etc.) than Wimbush. If Wimbush can't complete 60% or better of his passes he'll be riding pine no matter how much he runs.

Reactions: Ucfmikes
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT