ADVERTISEMENT

2019 OK

Crazyhole

Todd's Tiki Bar
Jun 4, 2004
Guess we had a close call with an asteroid this week. About 500 ft in diameter and nobody saw it coming until it would have been too late to do anything. They call it a city killer that possibly would have been the end of millions of people. Pretty crazy that we are at risk of these kinds of things and yet our focus is on things like Mueller.

Guess we had a close call with an asteroid this week. About 500 ft in diameter and nobody saw it coming until it would have been too late to do anything. They call it a city killer that possibly would have been the end of millions of people. Pretty crazy that we are at risk of these kinds of things and yet our focus is on things like Mueller.
How far was it? Doubtful we couldn’t have knocked it off course or have detected it. 500 feet is huge

45000 miles away.
Wow! I’ll have to read up on this

By the way, the Space Center is amazing if you ever get a chance to go

I’m like 45-50 minutes away. They have all of that data

It was supposed to hit Nebraska
Dear holy God, please let it come back and finish the job, but please leave Scott Frost and his team left alive to seek vengeance on all who have disrespected your holy Husker squad.

Dear holy God, please let it come back and finish the job, but please leave Scott Frost and his team left alive to seek vengeance on all who have disrespected your holy Husker squad.
I read it was the size of a large bolder and we are safe for at least 100 years

That’s nearly the entire planet

Reactions: Crazyhole

Haven't been checking in much this week but I saw you asked me what we should be focused on instead of Mueller....

I read it was the size of a large bolder and we are safe for at least 100 years
When I think of boulders, I don't envision something that's the size of 2 city blocks. That's pretty crazy to think this was just a small asteroid, the ones we really worry about are like 3 miles in diameter or bigger. Hard to envision a rock that large.

When I think of boulders, I don't envision something that's the size of 2 city blocks. That's pretty crazy to think this was just a small asteroid, the ones we really worry about are like 3 miles in diameter or bigger. Hard to envision a rock that large.
Large (3 mile diameter) asteroids fortunately hit the earth once every 20 million years. Those are definitely planet altering events and fortunately we have the technology to track that and alter its course

Smaller meteors like the Chelyabinsk meteor in 2013 (66 feet) are difficult to detect if their orbits arise quickly from around the sun.

The Tunguska event in the Siberian forest in 1908 was the most Earth impactful event in modern history. It was estimated to be 164-262 feet in diameter

That’s definitely a city killer. As far as our technology to DETECT that, I’m not so sure
Fortunately, those are fairly rare events.

Apparently, they are more rare than originally thought

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT