ADVERTISEMENT

2023 UCF Knights Men's Soccer Preview - Welcome to the Sun Belt

ucf1

Bronze Knight
Gold Member
Dec 17, 2001
Trace Trylko recently spent time at the UCF Soccer complex talking with members of the UCF Men's soccer team, including F Lucca Dourado and D Anderson Sosa. Both players are expected to play a big role for the 2023 Knights squad.

Head Coach Scott Calabrese also shared perspective on the season, which will see the Knights participating as a new member in the Sun Belt Conference. Despite being a new, UCF was picked to finish 4th in the preseason media poll.

Click here for more.

NCAA men's soccer is all about the ACC.
Other conferences may have a top-25 mainstay (ex: BIG has Indiana), but the ACC is far and away the top tier.

Our old conference had 2 such solid squads (i.e. top-25 staples): SMU and Tulsa. Other teams would show here and there as happened last year, but those newer teams will get bounced in the first round of the tourney and be replaced by another group next year.

I would say our new home is arguably better at the top, but lacks the parity of the AAC. Kentucky is a national powerhouse program and Marshall won the title in 2020. South Carolina (Cocks fans always leave room for you to merge) and WVU are likely to make a top-25 showing at some point or at least RV. The rest of the Sun Belt teams don't quite have national-brand money but can surprise based on gameday personnel matchups.

College soccer is not a "minor league" like football and instead more resembles a "retirement league" for overseas football academy kids.

So few "contact days" means the focus becomes the weightroom and much less time is allotted for technical development. Without turning this into a rant, our national system for development is busted and NCAA soccer is some kind of Dr. Frankenstein show. Not that they aren't playing good, entertaining ball we can't get behind, it's just apples-to-pineapples when comparing football to football.

So which conference is better for us? I like where we are now. The new target isn't simply being top-25 worthy, it's taking down national contenders... there's a GOL quote in there somewhere.

I know its not this easy, but I wish the BIG XII would add men's soccer. Texas is a hotbed for talent.

I ran into the usf men’s soccer team today at Pikes Place Market in Seattle.

They just lost to Washington. And beat UCF earlier this season. The boys were happy. 1-0 against us means more than loss to Wash. 😞
To put that correctly, beating us in an exhibition game means more than a loss to Washington in a real game!! I can't even say 1-0 since it doesn't count on either team's record and according to the UCF website the score of the game was "Completed" (along with other exhibition games). So happy for them.

Reactions: ProAttitude
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT