ADVERTISEMENT

2024 Position Preview - Defensive Line

Bring Back Wackadoos

Four-Star Recruit
Mar 15, 2023
Key losses - DE Tre'Mon Morris-Brash, DE Josh Celiscar
Top returners - DT Ricky Barber (34 career starts at UCF), DT Lee Hunter (13 career starts at UCF), DT John Walker (1 career start), DE Malachi Lawrence
New additions - DE Daylan Dotson (transfer from UT-Martin), DE Nyjalik Kelly (transfer from Miami, 3 career starts), DT Marcus Downs (6-5/300, top rated HS DT in South Carolina, three-star)

This group is as deep as it has ever been over the football, returning all four defensive tackles that played in UCF's rotation last season. Hunter - who was selected pre-season All-Big 12 - anchors the unit, while Barber is a veteran with tons of experience (sixth-year in college, first-team All-AAC in '22) who was banged-up for a decent chunk of last season. Walker, who was named to the On3 True Freshmen All-American Team, will look to build upon his first year as a Knight. Further down the depth chart, a couple of very interesting developmental prospects could see snaps for UCF this season in Derrick LeBlanc (6-5/295) and Andrew Rumph (6-3/305). LeBlanc (a high school teammate of Walker's at Osceola) - who played in the Under Armour All-American game in 2022 - was rated as a four-star prospect and top-150 player in the nation coming out of high school by 247Sports. Rumph - a former top-100 player in FL in the class of 2023 - redshirted last season.

The defensive end position lost a lot of experience this off-season with Morris-Brash (NFL) and Celiscar (transfer) moving on. Lawrence broke out last season, earning an All-Big 12 honorable mention pick (7.5 sacks, 10.5 tackles for loss). UCF brought in Dotson - an FCS All-American last season - to try and shore up their room after Celiscar announced he was entering the portal. The Knights also brought in former four-star edge rusher Kelly (class of 2022) from Miami to add additional depth. UCF also boasts two prized recruits from the '23 class - Isaiah Nixon and Kaven Call - at the defensive end position.

My attempt at an early Fall depth chart:
Rush - Malachi Lawrence (6-4/243, RS Jr.), Nyjalik Kelly (6-5/250, Jr.) OR Isaiah Nixon (6-4/215, RS Fr.)
DT - Lee Hunter (6-4/320, RS Jr.), Matthew Alexander (6-3/295, RS Jr.) OR Derrick LeBlanc (6-5/295, RS Fr.)
DT - Ricky Barber (6-3/295, 6th year), John Walker (6-4/310, So.)
SDE - Dylan Dotson (6-3/255, 5th year), Kaven Call (6-3/240, So.)

Rush - Malachi Lawrence (6-4/243, RS Jr.), Nyjalik Kelly (6-5/250, Jr.) OR Isaiah Nixon (6-4/215, RS Fr.)
DT - Lee Hunter (6-4/320, RS Jr.), Matthew Alexander (6-3/295, RS Jr.) OR Derrick LeBlanc (6-5/295, RS Fr.)
Stacked…

That lineup possible, but I flipped Lawrence and Dotson on my depth chart because UCF sold Dotson on replacing Tre'Mon Morris-Brash.

Dotson played only the on weakside for UT-Martin against Georgia in the season-opener for both teams.

On the hoof, he looks more like edge defender.

UCF sees him as an edge rusher who can make a big impact.

"They're losing Tre'Mon Morris-Brash and they need a veteran guy to come in and play," Dotson told UCFSports.com. "Not just walk on the field, but try to replace the production they're losing. I was watching their bowl practice and I really feel I could play with them.

"Coach (Kenny) Ingram thinks I can be an every-down edge that can rush the passer. He said he could tell I have great football knowledge so I'd fit in right away. I was impressed that he did his research on me. I want to come in and be an impact, not just a third-down guy."

Reactions: 90Knight
Didn't we say the sane thing about last year's defense?
Celiscar really struggled last year on the strong side. He got pushed around a bit as the competition jumped up to the P5-level. Let’s see if UCF can find someone at end to solidify their otherwise solid line lineup.

Defensive Tackle is definitely UCF's strong point this upcoming season. I wouldn't be surprised if John Walker is starting.

Surprisingly, Celiscar did struggle last year so we really only need to replace Morris-Brash’s production. Don’t know if he was hurt or what, but I expected him to take the next step based on his previous year’s play. We’re so solid with our DTs rotation having 5-6 legit DTs. The key will be how our DEs hold up against the run and obviously…how much pressure they can apply on the QB.

I expect our run defense to be better (can’t be much worse 😄). Other than Johnson last year, our LBs were absolutely horrible vs the run. They were getting consistently pushed 5 yards off the LOS and missed tackles over and over again for huge gains. Our DTs will be able to penetrate and keep OL men off our LBs so they can make plays. Whether or not our DEs and LBs can do that remains to be seen. Our transfer LBs are much bigger than last year’s and also have a lot of experience.

I’m excited about Le blanc..If he can play DE (300 lbs screams DT) and pass rush…that’s a big 6’5 300 lb body on the edge vs the run. At worst, He’ll be solid depth at DT and keep players fresh. The freshman from South Carolina already has the size (300) to play immediately. He seems to not only be big and strong, but quick for his size… and could be getting a lot of tackles behind the LOS.

I’m Looking forward to an improved defense this year.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT