ADVERTISEMENT

2024 Position Preview - Offensive Line

Bring Back Wackadoos

Four-Star Recruit
Mar 15, 2023
Key losses - OT Tylan Grable, OG Lokahi Pauole
Top returners - Amari Kight, 6th year (6-7/318, 10 starts at UCF), Marcellus Marshall, SR. (6-5/310, 11 starts at UCF), Adrian Medley, 6th year (6-5/305, 7 starts at UCF)
New additions - Jabari Brooks (6-3/335, transfer from Samford), Wes Dorsey (6-7/315, transfer from WKU), Keegan Smith (6-3/295, transfer from Central Michigan), Waltclaire Flynn (6-2/304, FR.)

If there's one unit I'm concerned about heading into the 2024 season for UCF, then it would have to be their newly made over offensive line group. One reason for the concern is the loss of Pauole, who has been the leader and rock of the room over the past four seasons (48 starts at UCF as an interior lineman from 2019-2023). That's a massive man the Knights can no longer count on to create holes up the middle. UCF also loses Grable, who was a two-year starter (27 starts) at tackle for the Knights.

Kight and Medley are both very experienced sixth-year guys who do return in the trenches. Injuries and depth in front of them are two things that have held both players back in their respective college careers, but both found consistent playing time down the stretch for UCF last season. Marshall, who transferred to UCF from Kent State, was a welcomed addition to the OL room (starting games both inside and outside on the line last year).

To add experience on the line, UCF added a trio of lineman through the portal this past offseason. Brooks was an All-Conference lineman last season at Samford and comes to Orlando with over 30 career starts in the Southern Conference (guard and center). Dorsey started 11 games at tackle last season for Western Kentucky, while Smith started at right guard for Central Michigan in 2023 (15 career starts).

Unlike the defensive line that rotates guys in and out throughout drives, Coach Hand likes to find one cohesive unit to go with (barring injuries of course). Sure, an occasional substitution will need to happen from time to time. But my point is, Coach Hand will have his hands-full (get it?) finding a grouping to go with in camp, while ensuring that they have ample enough time to gel as a cohesive unit.

Prior Positional Previews:
Defensive Line - https://ucf.forums.rivals.com/threads/2024-position-preview-defensive-line.117479/

My attempt at an early Fall depth chart:

LT - Amari Kight or Wes Dorsey
LG - Adrian Medley or Jabari Brooks, Cameron Kinnie
C - Jabari Brooks or Caden Kitler, Waltclaire Flynn
RG - Marcellus Marshall or Caden Kitler, Keegan Smith
RT - Amari Kight or Marcellus Marshall

Losing LT Tylan Grable and C Bula Schmidt hurts.

I cannot believe I am saying this.

LT Amari Knight
LG Marcellus Marshall
C Caden Kitler
RG Adrian Medley
RT Paul Rubelt

Key losses - OT Tylan Grable, OG Lokahi Pauole
Top returners - Amari Kight, 6th year (6-7/318, 10 starts at UCF), Marcellus Marshall, SR. (6-5/310, 11 starts at UCF), Adrian Medley, 6th year (6-5/305, 7 starts at UCF)
New additions - Jabari Brooks (6-3/335, transfer from Samford), Wes Dorsey (6-7/315, transfer from WKU), Keegan Smith (6-3/295, transfer from Central Michigan), Waltclaire Flynn (6-2/304, FR.)

If there's one unit I'm concerned about heading into the 2024 season for UCF, then it would have to be their newly made over offensive line group. One reason for the concern is the loss of Pauole, who has been the leader and rock of the room over the past four seasons (48 starts at UCF as an interior lineman from 2019-2023). That's a massive man the Knights can no longer count on to create holes up the middle. UCF also loses Grable, who was a two-year starter (27 starts) at tackle for the Knights.

Kight and Medley are both very experienced sixth-year guys who do return in the trenches. Injuries and depth in front of them are two things that have held both players back in their respective college careers, but both found consistent playing time down the stretch for UCF last season. Marshall, who transferred to UCF from Kent State, was a welcomed addition to the OL room (starting games both inside and outside on the line last year).

To add experience on the line, UCF added a trio of lineman through the portal this past offseason. Brooks was an All-Conference lineman last season at Samford and comes to Orlando with over 30 career starts in the Southern Conference (guard and center). Dorsey started 11 games at tackle last season for Western Kentucky, while Smith started at right guard for Central Michigan in 2023 (15 career starts).

Unlike the defensive line that rotates guys in and out throughout drives, Coach Hand likes to find one cohesive unit to go with (barring injuries of course). Sure, an occasional substitution will need to happen from time to time. But my point is, Coach Hand will have his hands-full (get it?) finding a grouping to go with in camp, while ensuring that they have ample enough time to gel as a cohesive unit.

Prior Positional Previews:
Defensive Line - https://ucf.forums.rivals.com/threads/2024-position-preview-defensive-line.117479/
Wackadoo…Weird that you did not mention the obvious problem…the elephant in the room? Gus Malzone and Herb Hand have signed a total of five high school OL in three full recruiting classes. A program typically signs 5 high school OL every year.

Failure to recruit and develop young OL and trying to backfill with the portal. That strategy absolutely failed this off season as UCF could not entice any viable OL to join the program and was forced to bring in dudes that are not P4 players.

Losing LT Tylan Grable and C Bula Schmidt hurts.

I cannot believe I am saying this.

LT Amari Knight
LG Marcellus Marshall
C Caden Kitler
RG Adrian Medley
RT Paul Rubelt
Schmidt was out as much as he was in last year. I didn’t mention him because he’s not nearly as big of a loss as Pauole and Grable.

Rubelt!? No way, I don’t see it. Marshall will be on the right side of the line, either at RG or RT. And I’m sure Brooks will be in there somewhere, either at G or C.

I like Paul. Keeps his head down and works. He’s a good backup. Hopefully he isn’t the starter but if he is he’s had 3 years in offense and seems to listen to coaching.

Wackadoo…Weird that you did not mention the obvious problem…the elephant in the room? Gus Malzone and Herb Hand have signed a total of five high school OL in three full recruiting classes. A program typically signs 5 high school OL every year.

Failure to recruit and develop young OL and trying to backfill with the portal. That strategy absolutely failed this off season as UCF could not entice any viable OL to join the program and was forced to bring in dudes that are not P4 players.
You say a lot of garbage on here that I don’t agree with, but I will give you this. HS recruiting on the offensive line has been rather lacking over the last few seasons - no question.

It hasn’t bitten UCF on the field yet, but like I alluded to in this post - Grable and Pauole have been rocks for the Knights. They haven’t really recruited anyone over the last few cycles to replace them (although I do love W. Flynn, he is a player).

Maybe this is the year that the strategy of relying on the portal bites UCF’s offensive line. Maybe it’s not the year, and they come together. We shall see, certainly a big question.

I think Hand has done a very good job in identifying mostly experienced transfer linemen and bringing them in. Kight and Marshall have been absolute home runs. I think Bula Schmidt was a good starter when healthy. Hand only missed on the kid from Sanford who transferred out, We had a very good running game because of our stud RBs, but that OL had a lot to do with having one of the best running games in the country. Throw in a better passing game from a much better passing QB and this offense will be a lot of fun to watch.

I expect the guys transferring in to be solid contributors. They’re experienced with a lot of tape Hand was able to watch and evaluate. Hand got commitments from them pretty early, so I don’t see these as desperation signings. Hand thinks these guys can start for us and based on his track record…. I trust his evaluations.

The position group I am most concerned about. Just don’t think we added enough P4 quality players in the portal this year and recruiting has been poor.

Schmidt was out as much as he was in last year. I didn’t mention him because he’s not nearly as big of a loss as Pauole and Grable.
Wasn't my thoughts actually. That came straight from CFB depth charts.

"Losing LT Tylan Grable and C Bula Schmidt hurts. But this line is ready for the "next man up" and have replacements ready to roll. Marcellus Marshall has played a bunch of positions, including LG, RG and RT. This will remain a strength and having a mobile QB under center can help hide some of the deficiencies. They will have positional flexibility with so many players playing multiple positions."

Rubelt!? No way, I don’t see it. Marshall will be on the right side of the line, either at RG or RT. And I’m sure Brooks will be in there somewhere, either at G or C.
That is conventional wisdom.

However, virtually every depth chart I have seen lists Rubelt or Dorsey starting at right tackle with Patrick Burnett was a reserve. I have not seen a depth chart that lists Brooks as a starter.

Side by side, Kight and Marshall would create one of the most dominant weak side rushing tandems and pass pro units in the Big 12.

Anything is possible.

Left tackle is the only position set in stone. UCF is in for a long year if Amare Kight misses extended time due to injury. He and KJ Jefferson are the most important players on the team.

A program typically signs 5 high school OL every year.
Cap

That was true prior to the transfer portal. Not now.

FSU signed 13 offensive linemen for the Classes of 2021-2024 (4 total classes). Only five or so remain with the program. The rest have transferred out. None start BTW. Only one is in the 2 deep IIRC.

Florida has signed 16 over that same time span. Most of those have transferred out as well.

UCF has retained 💯% of its high school offensive linemen signees. Compare those retention figures to ANY program in the nation.

Few impactful true plug-and-play offensive linemen hit the portal in 2024.

Cap

That was true prior to the transfer portal. Not now.

FSU signed 13 offensive linemen for the Classes of 2021-2024 (4 total classes). Only five or so remain with the program. The rest have transferred out. None start BTW. Only one is in the 2 deep IIRC.

Florida has signed 16 over that same time span. Most of those have transferred out as well.

UCF has retained 💯% of its high school offensive linemen signees. Compare those retention figures to ANY program in the nation.

Few impactful true plug-and-play offensive linemen hit the portal in 2024.

LoL. You kids have the option of the German kid or Dorsey to start at RT? Most of you seem ok with it. Comical.

Miami signed: 5 high school OL in 2023 (two will be starters this year), 4 high school OL in 2024 (+ 1 JUCO) and have 5 high school OL committed for 2025.

There’s going to be high competition for good OL hitting the portal (limited supply) and it would be very expensive to get them. That’s why UCF ended up with what it ended up from the portal this year. Smart programs develop the lines and use the portal for a guy or two.

Why do you think UCF is desperate for OL now? Because they have developed nobody that signed with Gus Malzone out of high school.

Last edited:
Why do you think UCF is desperate for OL now? Because they have developed nobody that signed with Gus Malzone out of high school.
Not desperate enough to accept commits from 86 composites Takaylen Muex or Demetrius Campbell or 85 composite Jaden Wilkerson.

Oh and BTW, Max Buchanan is now a 3⭐ 87 composite.

That "vaulted" online class is the u's lowest four ranked commits.

Not desperate enough to accept commits from 86 composites Takaylen Muex or Demetrius Campbell or 85 composite Jaden Wilkerson.

Oh and BTW, Max Buchanan is now a 3⭐ 87 composite.

That "vaulted" online class is the u's lowest four ranked commits.

All of the commits have the same composite ranking as they did when they committed to Miami. All of the Orlando kids Malzone wanted badly.

Miami will be starting Samson 5* OT/G (redshirt freshman), Maugioa 5* OT started every game last year as a true freshman and will start again this year.

Miami has a top ten OL in college football. UCF?

Last edited:
I'd love to see Rubelt excel in Fall Camp, because he's been here so long, has worked hard, etc. And I'm imagining the psychological effect for a D lineman, seeing a nearly 7', 340 lb human (in cleats) lining up in front of him!

Last edited:
I'd love to see Rubelt excel in Fall Camp, because he's been here so long, has worked hard, etc. And I'm imagining the psychological effect for a D lineman, seeing a nearly 7', 340 lb human (in cleats) lining up in front of him!
He’s on the All Airport Team for sure. Perhaps even a captain for Coin Toss.

• Haha
Reactions: Gvilleknight
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT