ADVERTISEMENT

2024 Position Preview - Wide Receivers

Bring Back Wackadoos

Four-Star Recruit
Mar 15, 2023
Key losses: Javon Baker (NFL)
Top returners: Kobe Hudson, 5th year (6-1/200, 22 career starts at UCF, five starts at Auburn), Xavier Townsend, Jr. (5-11/185, 11 career starts)
Key additions: Ja'Varrius Johnson, 6th year (5-10/180, transfer from Auburn), Jacoby Jones, 5th year (6-3/228, transfer from Ohio University), Jordyn Bridgewater, Fr. (6-0/170), Bredell Richardson, Fr. (6-1/180), Kason Stokes, Fr. (6-2/180)

Losing Baker to the NFL, who caught 108 balls for over 1,900 yards (and 12 TD's) over the last two seasons, is something this UCF offense will have to overcome in 2024. Hudson is back and primed to be the go-to receiver for the Knights (All-Big 12 Honorable Mention in 2023, 44 receptions for 900 yards and 8 TD's). Hudson ranked 4th in the Big 12 (7th in the nation) in yards per catch last season (20.4).

The key will be finding a number two receiver this Fall to take some pressure off Hudson. The two leading candidates for that role appear to be Townsend and/or sixth-year Auburn transfer Ja'Varrius Johnson. Townsend is one of the most versatile (and dangerous) weapons on the team, who is capable of picking up chunk-yardage for the Knights in a multitude of ways (career: 452 receiving yards, 319 punt return yards, 224 kick return yards, 190 rushing yards). From 2021-23, Johnson hauled in 63 receptions for 1,094 and 10 TD's (two rushing TD's) at Auburn.

The Knights were also successful this past offseason bringing in a little more size into their WR room, snagging Jones (formerly at Ohio). At 6-3/228, Jones could potentially provide UCF with a larger-bodied target down in the red zone (50 career receptions, 879 career yards, 5 TD's). Chauncey Magwood (RS Jr., transferred last season from Kentucky, 6-0/185) is another experienced receiver for UCF that could potentially breakout in '24.

UCF gained commitments from a trio of receivers from the '24 HS class in Bridgewater, Richardson, and Stokes. Richardson (Rivals Top-150, top-25 player in FL) is a four-star recruit who chose UCF over LSU, Michigan, Michigan State, and Oregon.

Prior Positional Previews:
Defensive Line - https://ucf.forums.rivals.com/threads/2024-position-preview-defensive-line.117479/
Offensive Line - https://ucf.forums.rivals.com/threads/2024-position-preview-offensive-line.117554/
Linebackers - https://ucf.forums.rivals.com/threads/2024-position-preview-linebackers.117648/
Running Backs - https://ucf.forums.rivals.com/threads/2024-position-preview-running-backs.117885/
Quarterbacks and Tight Ends - https://ucf.forums.rivals.com/threads/2024-position-preview-quarterbacks-tight-ends.118225/

Reactions: Knight_Light
My attempt at a depth chart:
X: Hudson or J. Jones, T. Patterson
Slot: Townsend or J. Johnson, C. Magwood
Z: J. Johnson or Hudson, B. Richardson

And yes, I understand that Johnson it rather small to play outside. His size is more prototypical of a slot receiver (as is Townsend). But to get your best players all on the field, UCF may have to line up both Townsend and Johnson together - with someone playing on the outside. Both of those guys are difference-makers running the football off motion/sweep/outside zone as well. UCF could have an opportunity to get real creative here.

Johnson could play the "Z" at times here at UCF. Here he is against Alabama playing outside (at the 'Z'). Pre-snap, he jet-motions away from the trips-side. The receiver to the field runs a slant, and Johnson runs a wheel route off him up the left sideline for a relatively uncontested TD reception:

https://x.com/247sports/status/1728549843444830692?s=46&t=5gog8WZYpQdBBcQ-YbUmUA

I argue that Agiya Hall is a monumental loss as well. Hall would have made a larger impact on UCF in 2024 than Christian Leary would have made in 2023.
Townsend is one of the most versatile (and dangerous) weapons on the team,
Straight Face Trying Not To Laugh GIF

At 6-3/228, Jones could potentially provide UCF with a larger-bodied target down in the red zone (50 career receptions, 879 career yards, 5 TD's).
The Original Series Yes GIF by Star Trek

I argue that Agiya Hall is a monumental loss as well. Hall would have made a larger impact on UCF in 2024 than Christian Leary would have made in 2023.

Straight Face Trying Not To Laugh GIF

The Original Series Yes GIF by Star Trek
I have no idea why you shit all over Townsend whenever you get the chance, but you just keep proving time and again that you don’t know ball.

He is a threat to break-off chunk plays in a multitude of ways, that’s not an opinion. In a limited role over the last two years, he’s gained 1,185 all-purpose yards on just 119 total touches. Anyone looking at just his receiving numbers is a casual. Playing behind Baker and Hudson for two years (and O’Keefe for a season), of course his effectiveness would have been limited (and he primarily played running back in high school).

That’s okay, stay on that side.

I have no idea why you shit all over Townsend whenever you get the chance, but you just keep proving time and again that you don’t know ball.

He is a threat to break-off chunk plays in a multitude of ways, that’s not an opinion. In a limited role over the last two years, he’s gained 1,185 all-purpose yards on just 119 total touches. Anyone looking at just his receiving numbers is a casual. Playing behind Baker and Hudson for two years (and O’Keefe for a season), of course his effectiveness would have been limited (and he primarily played running back in high school).

I would rather not respond for kid's sake.

I will say this, though. His best play comes with the ball in his hands.

I have watched him play when he doesn't have it.

Grant Heard produced an All-Big 12 WR in Javon Baker and an honorable mention in Kobe Hudson--and was DESERVEDLY fired by Gus.

The "without-the-ball" WR play as a whole was 'not good.' Townsend was a major contributor.

Last edited:
Wont Jarrad Baker be getting targets?
Maybe, but I don’t really see how. He’s also another slot guy. Played a little last year, but that was primarily for a couple games when Townsend was out.

If Baker is on the field during any kind of significant action, I’m guessing that would mean Townsend and/or Johnson are injured. That wouldn’t be a good thing.

Baker seems to be a great kid that has worked really hard to come back from multiple injuries. I just don’t see a path for him to get significant snaps, but I could be wrong.

Top returners: Kobe Hudson, 5th year (6-1/200, 22 career starts at UCF, five starts at Auburn), Xavier Townsend, Jr. (5-11/185, 11 career starts)
Key additions: Ja'Varrius Johnson, 6th year (5-10/180, transfer from Auburn), Jacoby Jones, 5th year (6-3/228, transfer from Ohio University), Jordyn Bridgewater, Fr. (6-0/170), Bredell Richardson, Fr. (6-1/180), Kason Stokes, Fr. (6-2/180)

Losing Baker to the NFL, who caught 108 balls for over 1,900 yards (and 12 TD's) over the last two seasons, is something this UCF offense will have to overcome in 2024. Hudson is back and primed to be the go-to receiver for the Knights (All-Big 12 Honorable Mention in 2023, 44 receptions for 900 yards and 8 TD's). Hudson ranked 4th in the Big 12 (7th in the nation) in yards per catch last season (20.4).

The key will be finding a number two receiver this Fall to take some pressure off Hudson. The two leading candidates for that role appear to be Townsend and/or sixth-year Auburn transfer Ja'Varrius Johnson. Townsend is one of the most versatile (and dangerous) weapons on the team, who is capable of picking up chunk-yardage for the Knights in a multitude of ways (career: 452 receiving yards, 319 punt return yards, 224 kick return yards, 190 rushing yards). From 2021-23, Johnson hauled in 63 receptions for 1,094 and 10 TD's (two rushing TD's) at Auburn.

The Knights were also successful this past offseason bringing in a little more size into their WR room, snagging Jones (formerly at Ohio). At 6-3/228, Jones could potentially provide UCF with a larger-bodied target down in the red zone (50 career receptions, 879 career yards, 5 TD's). Chauncey Magwood (RS Jr., transferred last season from Kentucky, 6-0/185) is another experienced receiver for UCF that could potentially breakout in '24.

UCF gained commitments from a trio of receivers from the '24 HS class in Bridgewater, Richardson, and Stokes. Richardson (Rivals Top-150, top-25 player in FL) is a four-star recruit who chose UCF over LSU, Michigan, Michigan State, and Oregon.

Prior Positional Previews:
Defensive Line - https://ucf.forums.rivals.com/threads/2024-position-preview-defensive-line.117479/
Offensive Line - https://ucf.forums.rivals.com/threads/2024-position-preview-offensive-line.117554/
Linebackers - https://ucf.forums.rivals.com/threads/2024-position-preview-linebackers.117648/
Running Backs - https://ucf.forums.rivals.com/threads/2024-position-preview-running-backs.117885/
Quarterbacks and Tight Ends - https://ucf.forums.rivals.com/threads/2024-position-preview-quarterbacks-tight-ends.118225/
Only downside to Townsend is his size...as Hudson isn't that big either. (Townsend is versatile and quick...so he will get opportunity to get into the open field on certain sets).

Baker seemed to play bigger than his size as teams had to key on Baker which as you noted, freed up Hudson.

If Jones and even Whittenore can make an impact on the outside...it could give this offense the large target they need.

Look for Pittman to be played out wide as he will be a quasi WR in many play sets...so another large strong target to hit.

Only downside to Townsend is his size...as Hudson isn't that big either. (Townsend is versatile and quick...so he will get opportunity to get into the open field on certain sets).

Baker seemed to play bigger than his size as teams had to key on Baker which as you noted, freed up Hudson.

If Jones and even Whittenore can make an impact on the outside...it could give this offense the large target they need.

Look for Pittman to be played out wide as he will be a quasi WR in many play sets...so another large strong target to hit.
Love it. Pittman is ready to make a jump, agreed.

Reactions: Knight_Light
We have a clown car worth of talent at WR and RB position. I'm hoping that Gus can do a better job than last year of cycling in talent, especially at the WR position.

tenor.gif

I agree. Townsend is simply a playmaker. He’s been behind Baker and Hudson on touches, but I expect him to have a very good season with more opportunities .

He can make big plays happen with the ball in his hands. He should get plenty of screen passes and jet sweeps he can break in to big plays…as well as throws downfield exploiting his speed. With a much better passer in Jefferson and an exceptional running game keeping offenses honest, our WRs and RBs will have lots of big plays.

I asked the same question in another thread AL1 has some issue with Townsend like he owes him money or some shit. But seems to be the president of the Agiye Hall fan club.

I would rather not respond for kid's sake.

I will say this, though. His best play comes with the ball in his hands.

I have watched him play when he doesn't have it.

Grant Heard produced an All-Big 12 WR in Javon Baker and an honorable mention in Kobe Hudson--and was DESERVEDLY fired by Gus.

The "without-the-ball" WR play as a whole was 'not good.' Townsend was a major contributor.
You changed the subject, but I will agree with you on your point.

UCF’s receivers as a unit have really fallen off the couple of seasons as blockers.

We had a group in the Frost/Heupel era (T. Smith, Snelson, Davis, M. Williams, etc.) that took a ton of pride being physical. ‘No block, no rock’.

Javon Baker became a much more physical player over his two years here, but the group as a whole has to get better in the run/screen game.

You changed the subject, but I will agree with you on your point.

UCF’s receivers as a unit have really fallen off the couple of seasons as blockers.

We had a group in the Frost/Heupel era (T. Smith, Snelson, Davis, M. Williams, etc.) that took a ton of pride being physical. ‘No block, no rock’.

Javon Baker became a much more physical player over his two years here, but the group as a whole has to get better in the run/screen game.
Blocking for others moves the chains and potential for more targets and TDs for the guy blocking.

Reactions: AuburnLegacy_1
Honestly it is a position with a lot of question marks for me, both at the top (how will Hudson do now facing their top CB every week), in the starting lineup besides Townsend, and overall depth….where we have a lot of hit/miss type transfers and unknown young guys.

Honestly it is a position with a lot of question marks for me, both at the top (how will Hudson do now facing their top CB every week), in the starting lineup besides Townsend, and overall depth….where we have a lot of hit/miss type transfers and unknown young guys.
Ja'Varrius Johnson is NOT an unknown.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT