ADVERTISEMENT

$30 Million Shortfall for UCF

KnightofCamelot

Bronze Knight
Jun 24, 2019
From a recent Danny White interview, looks like we can't afford to play without fans in the stands:

"Financially, our reality is, that's about a $30 million problem for us if we play football games [without fans.] I realize our TV revenue but for us, a huge chunk is the game-day revenue. I don't have an answer for a $30 million problem. I would hope that we look to postpone it later in the fall or even in the spring before we get real serious talking about playing without fans in the stands."

Doesn’t make sense. You don’t have to pay any game day personnel. Still get tv money. TV money should go up because more eyes on games.

Doesn’t make sense. You don’t have to pay any game day personnel. Still get tv money. TV money should go up because more eyes on games.
The gate for a home game is in the millions add concessions/souvenirs/memorabilia and that amount is 1000 times what the cost saved by not having game day personnel working. The only additional eyes on the TV would be the 45,000 that wouldn't be at the game....out of a US viewership of 350 Million that 45K extra viewers is not going to be sufficient enough to reopen our TV contract.

Kind of makes sense to me since I'm getting $1500 back and not spending $50 on food and drinks every game. My $50 alone probably pays for one employee's full day there. I think/hope they make a killing on concessions and beer.

And I doubt ESPN decides to shell out more money so we can make ends meet. Their long term goal is to whittle down the number of teams and conferences so they can pay less (more per team of course but with a lot fewer teams) anyway so if a bunch of teams go out of business it just accelerates that. Plus they don't have a bunch of extra money laying around just to bail out CFB teams.

Does a school charge student athletic fees when a student cannot attend an athletic event?

http://www.nicholsonstudentmedia.co...cle_8f8d24c2-3c53-11e8-8356-bb6ed0b4e1b7.html
Very good point and I think this might be the biggest thing to worry about. Our student fee model is awesome for where we are at but eventually we'll have to give it up. UCF students get in free because they pay fees but at other schools students have to come out of pocket to attend. I've heard about one school where they do something like a "1 year all-sports pass" students pay $300 for...and they still get turned away some times. But as popularity of football declines, fewer students will want to pay for everyone else to go to games. Especially if we have 1,000,000 students enrolled and there's only 10,000 seats available haha.

I like it though. It gives sudents with little or no money the ability to see games and have fun a few times per year. Plus students are louder and bring way more energy than people who pay $1000/seat.

I think Danny is going to have to cut some Olympic sports to make up the difference.

Maybe there is a social distancing attendance model that can be implemented. Dolphins announced they will have 15,000 attendance limit. I imagine the Canes will probably follow the same model since it’s literally the same stadium.

I think Danny is going to have to cut some Olympic sports to make up the difference.

Maybe there is a social distancing attendance model that can be implemented. Dolphins announced they will have 15,000 attendance limit. I imagine the Canes will probably follow the same model since it’s literally the same stadium.

Can’t do that though otherwise we fall below FBS viability.

Can’t do that though otherwise we fall below FBS viability.
LOL when was the last time those rules were actually enforced. It’s a moot topic from an era long gone. Probably wouldn’t be hard for the NCAA to allow exceptions for this season.

The gate for a home game is in the millions add concessions/souvenirs/memorabilia and that amount is 1000 times what the cost saved by not having game day personnel working. The only additional eyes on the TV would be the 45,000 that wouldn't be at the game....out of a US viewership of 350 Million that 45K extra viewers is not going to be sufficient enough to reopen our TV contract.
concessions and clothing sales are HUGE!!! Is there a way to let a limited amount of people into the stadium safely? Gloves, masks, social distancing? Thoughts?

This^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ 15K is good, and it works

Reactions: Endeavor.
Kind of makes sense to me since I'm getting $1500 back and not spending $50 on food and drinks every game. My $50 alone probably pays for one employee's full day there. I think/hope they make a killing on concessions and beer.

And I doubt ESPN decides to shell out more money so we can make ends meet. Their long term goal is to whittle down the number of teams and conferences so they can pay less (more per team of course but with a lot fewer teams) anyway so if a bunch of teams go out of business it just accelerates that. Plus they don't have a bunch of extra money laying around just to bail out CFB teams.
TV contract will be renegotiated or they lose conferences next go around. Guaranteed.

They will definitely waive this policy due to safety requirements.

Safety requirements? I get maybe for wrestling, but schools dropping tennis but keeping football for safety is the opposite for both general injuries and COVID-19.

Reactions: shacket
From a recent Danny White interview, looks like we can't afford to play without fans in the stands:

"Financially, our reality is, that's about a $30 million problem for us if we play football games [without fans.] I realize our TV revenue but for us, a huge chunk is the game-day revenue. I don't have an answer for a $30 million problem. I would hope that we look to postpone it later in the fall or even in the spring before we get real serious talking about playing without fans in the stands."
Danny working some game. UCF already received close to $50M from the feds due to COVID.

Safety requirements? I get maybe for wrestling, but schools dropping tennis but keeping football for safety is the opposite for both general injuries and COVID-19.
Safety requirements as in allowing restricted numbers of spectators in the stadiums. The NCAA isn’t going to hold universities to the minimum attendance rules when they’re having to restrict the number of persons they can safely admit into their stadiums to watch games.

Only P5 schools would be able to pull off a season without fans in the stands.

A vaccine is a game changer. If this Australian vaccine gets approved after their human trials. We might be able to have fans in the stands.

Might only be the back half of the season but holy shit we might get a vaccine this year.

A vaccine is a game changer. If this Australian vaccine gets approved after their human trials. We might be able to have fans in the stands.

Might only be the back half of the season but holy shit we might get a vaccine this year.

I feel like the idea of a vaccine in the short term is a false hope. Long term, great.

There isn't going to be this mass lineup of individuals getting the vaccine day 1. There is still a large segment of the population that won't get Flu shots for free, and those have been around forever. I get a Flu shot every year, and I am not comfortable jumping in line for a brand new vaccine. The only way vaccine gets widely distributed is if it's forced, and that opens up a whole other mess.

Reactions: Stetson_1883
I feel like the idea of a vaccine in the short term is a false hope. Long term, great.

There isn't going to be this mass lineup of individuals getting the vaccine day 1. There is still a large segment of the population that won't get Flu shots for free, and those have been around forever. I get a Flu shot every year, and I am not comfortable jumping in line for a brand new vaccine. The only way vaccine gets widely distributed is if it's forced, and that opens up a whole other mess.
Also a lot of people dont realize that vaccines are not 100% effective. This years flu shot is I think in the 40-50% efficacy range.

Reactions: Ucfmikes

Fluoride is in the tap water because big brother cares about my teeth.

You need proof of vaccinations to attend public schools.

I’m cool with covid vaccination documents being a requirement for attending live sporting events.

vaccine is obviously important but the more urgency should be with a proven & consistent treatment to keep it under control at home so less people fear/need hospitalization. that would create more of a peace of mind short term.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT