ADVERTISEMENT

4 Star QB Looking at UCF

According to most people around him and some from 247, hes more or less a lock unless we severely see something we dont like about him and drop him off our radar.
Nice! Wish schools would provide more clips of designed or read-option QB runs, short passes over the middle and out routes, and scrambling away from a rush or throwing on the run when flushed.

Nice! Wish schools would provide more clips of designed or read-option QB runs, short passes over the middle and out routes, and scrambling away from a rush or throwing on the run when flushed.
Did the RB qualify? I didn't see any update on his ACT performance.

Wont have any update til almost summer apparently since it has to do with his school grades too.
I also wouldnt worry too much, even without him, Bentavious Thompson is a really high 3 star who could make a day 1 impact too.

Wont have any update til almost summer apparently since it has to do with his school grades too.
I also wouldnt worry too much, even without him, Bentavious Thompson is a really high 3 star who could make a day 1 impact too.
He had surgery... right ?

And what an additional blocker to protect the QB or create a hole in the line for the other back.

And what an additional blocker to protect the QB or create a hole in the line for the other back.
Thats where we have to wait and see. Line looks solid on paper, if they stay healthy, no reason they wont be dam good. Very young line still. Dont think any seniors on o line that have a legit shot to play, could be forgetting a player or two

We all thought after first 6 games last season we were heading towards a finish like our basketball team but reality is we have to be patient for these new recruits to grow into new program. I like what I see happening recruiting wise (boy was end of GOL era recruiting depressing) but like others am on the impatient side for players to mature :)

We all thought after first 6 games last season we were heading towards a finish like our basketball team but reality is we have to be patient for these new recruits to grow into new program. I like what I see happening recruiting wise (boy was end of GOL era recruiting depressing) but like others am on the impatient side for players to mature :)
That's why, I disagreed last summer when everyone said Frost would be more successful than Dawkins the first year. Sure, both were starting with squads coming off horrible seasons, but 12-19 beats 0-12; in addition, Dawkins had a strong, mature returning core at every position to condition, teach his system, mentor individually, and get to believe in themselves. Frost did not. Finally, Dawkins system isn't is not nearly as different from what players were used to as was Frost's, where a fraction of a second late on a read or block is disastrous.

That's why, I disagreed last summer when everyone said Frost would be more successful than Dawkins the first year. Sure, both were starting with squads coming off horrible seasons, but 12-19 beats 0-12; in addition, Dawkins had a strong, mature returning core at every position to condition, teach his system, mentor individually, and get to believe in themselves. Frost did not. Finally, Dawkins system isn't is not nearly as different from what players were used to as was Frost's, where a fraction of a second late on a read or block is disastrous.
You couldnt be more right on this.
Even if Dawkins drastically changed play style, its still easier to learn 10-20 new sets/defenses/traps in basketball than it is to learn 100+ plays on O and D with subtle variations and play calls basically equaling a few hundred play/read combinations.

You couldnt be more right on this.
Even if Dawkins drastically changed play style, its still easier to learn 10-20 new sets/defenses/traps in basketball than it is to learn 100+ plays on O and D with subtle variations and play calls basically equaling a few hundred play/read combinations.

We just need more speed, not more plays in football. "And that's all I have to say about that. "Forrest Gump" :sunglasses:

Our secret weapon for the middle runs :)

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Thanks for the love everyone, it&#39;s VERY MUCH appreciated. Together We Will Rise! ⚡️ <a href="https://twitter.com/UCF_Football">@UCF_Football</a> <a href="https://twitter.com/Knights247">@Knights247</a> <a href="https://twitter.com/juanctoribio">@juanctoribio</a> <a href="https://t.co/ym1Sxi7CwV">pic.twitter.com/ym1Sxi7CwV</a></p>&mdash; Edrick Neal ⚡️ (@Lil_Bug62) <a href="">March 22, 2017</a></blockquote>
<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Edrick Neal

According to most people around him and some from 247, hes more or less a lock unless we severely see something we dont like about him and drop him off our radar.
That is until he gets an offer from someone like Oregon, FSU, etc... then he bolts. There is no such thing as a lock on a 4-star player when you're a G5 program.

No way. I'm a schlub fan and even I knew once teams had some film on us, reality would set in. I thought we over-achieved last season at 6-6. If there is no big leap at the QB position, I don't see us finishing any better than 6-6 again. The year after that...we should make a big jump in progress as kids aren't learning everything from scratch, recruits "designed" for this offense start playing, and let's not forgot the head coach and staff are learning a lot of things for the first time themselves.

That is until he gets an offer from someone like Oregon, FSU, etc... then he bolts. There is no such thing as a lock on a 4-star player when you're a G5 program.

I agree but at the same time he runs a spread read option in high school. Most kids will stay away from him even if he is a 4 star since most Power programs dont run a read and its hard to completely change the way any player, especially a QB, plays his whole game. The schools we should worry about somewhat are Oregons, Baylors, TCU's of the world, except location is probably the biggest factor for him. Thats one thing we have nobody else can truly offer. We are in his dads back yard, and his dad loves the school.

I agree nobody is a lock, but this kid is as close as one can be unless we back off.

I agree but at the same time he runs a spread read option in high school. Most kids will stay away from him even if he is a 4 star since most Power programs dont run a read and its hard to completely change the way any player, especially a QB, plays his whole game. The schools we should worry about somewhat are Oregons, Baylors, TCU's of the world, except location is probably the biggest factor for him. Thats one thing we have nobody else can truly offer. We are in his dads back yard, and his dad loves the school.

I agree nobody is a lock, but this kid is as close as one can be unless we back off.
Nothing succeeds like success. Penn State changed this past season, installed a freshman QB, and voila! Immediate success and a Rose Bowl (that they should have won). If you haven't watched their read option offense, please do. Does their QB have an NFL arm? Nope, no much different from Milton! But every big sideline and long pass seems to get caught despite close coverage. Watch from 8:50 onward:

Last edited:
Nothing succeeds like success. Penn State changed this past season, installed a freshman QB, and voila! Immediate success and a Rose Bowl (that they should have won). If you haven't watched their read option offense, please do. Does their QB have an NFL arm? Nope, no much different from Milton! But every big sideline and long pass seems to get caught despite close coverage. Watch from 8:50 onward:
His arm is way, way better than Milton, that said, the kid has a big OL in front of him, that actually blocked, and that high first round draft pick RB helps as well...Saquon is a bad@ss.

Reactions: Miltonian
His arm is way, way better than Milton, that said, the kid has a big OL in front of him, that actually blocked, and that high first round draft pick RB helps as well...Saquon is a bad@ss.
It's a really average arm. Lots of wounded ducks off his scrambles, though there are a few nice spirals. Sure they have a decent line, but it's not much better than the previous season when they got plastered repeatedly. And they had a way tougher, more physical schedule than UCF ever has to play. They negated opponents rushes by using an Oregon-type system.

Does their QB have an NFL arm? Nope, no much different from Milton! ..... Watch from 8:50 onward:

Watched a bit from 8:50 on as you suggested...but see no comparison whatsoever to his arm/delivery vs. Milton's 3/4 sidearm wounded duck passes. Are you saying I should have not seen much difference between the two?

Watched a bit from 8:50 on as you suggested...but see no comparison whatsoever to his arm/delivery vs. Milton's 3/4 sidearm wounded duck passes. Are you saying I should have not seen much difference between the two?
The first two medium range passes do have a nice spiral, but his "creative" style passes have a definite Milton-esque character. What Milton does that drives critics crazy is off-balance lobs weakly to wide open receivers over the outstretched hands of safeties trying to get back into coverage.

Reactions: 2015UCFMBA
As someone who coached Scott Frost at HS and been watching his career both as a player and coach all along, I can not say it enough how fortunate the UCF football program is to have him as the HC here.

I hope all UCF fans stay patient and support this extremely talented HC and his capable staff. They are doing some great things here and the future of this football program under coach Frost's leadership is going to be a very bright one indeed.

I watched last Spring practices and have attended some practices this Spring and the improvements are very noticeable. Players understand the systems much better and are executing the fundamentals of this game much better now than this time last year. As a lifelong coach and based on what I am seeing this Spring, I have no doubt that this UCF team is going to be a much improved team from last year.

There is no question that Coach Frost inherited a mess and a team that didn't have many talented players suited for his defensive and offensive systems, but he and his staff have done a great job of coaching during difficult transition period. And they continue to do a remarkable job in recruiting, and I believe with a great season this Fall, many more high caliber players will be interested in UCF and would be committing to play for this outstanding HC.

Go UCF! My second favorite team in college football!

I was just watching the NFL channel today and got inspired by a guy that they said was too short. Two words folks. Doug Flutie!

As someone who coached Scott Frost at HS and been watching his career both as a player and coach all along, I can not say it enough how fortunate the UCF football program is to have him as the HC here.

I hope all UCF fans stay patient and support this extremely talented HC and his capable staff. They are doing some great things here and the future of this football program under coach Frost's leadership is going to be a very bright one indeed.

I watched last Spring practices and have attended some practices this Spring and the improvements are very noticeable. Players understand the systems much better and are executing the fundamentals of this game much better now than this time last year. As a lifelong coach and based on what I am seeing this Spring, I have no doubt that this UCF team is going to be a much improved team from last year.

There is no question that Coach Frost inherited a mess and a team that didn't have many talented players suited for his defensive and offensive systems, but he and his staff have done a great job of coaching during difficult transition period. And they continue to do a remarkable job in recruiting, and I believe with a great season this Fall, many more high caliber players will be interested in UCF and would be committing to play for this outstanding HC.

Go UCF! My second favorite team in college football!
Thank you for spitting some logic on to this board!

There is no question that Coach Frost inherited a mess and a team that didn't have many talented players suited for his defensive and offensive systems, [/QUOTE]
This is the part I don't understand. UCF had the 3rd fewest seniors in the nation during the 0-12 season, and this was born out by all the freshman who played that year. But that would make it a rebuilding year with many more experienced players when Frost arrived, unless recruiting the previous two years had been a disaster. Was it?

The alternative narrative I heard more was that GOL recruits were ill-suited to Frost's offensive system. Linemen recruited to wear down defenses and sustain blocks were too slow and heavy to execute quick hit plays. Running had to trim down (Dontravius took off 15 lbs), too. Akins was moved to TE as that position became one for receiving rather than blocking on runs.

So which was it? Can't attribute things to just a "culture of losing" because the basketball team had 4 straight years of losing, finishing it off with 11 losses in a row. It can't just be no recruiting class because Frost grabbed a ton of recruits while Dawkins played without a freshman. I think a big difference was that Dawkins has 8 years of P5 head coaching and Frost had none. No substitute for that experience. Frost will get better. Dawkins already had.

There is no question that Coach Frost inherited a mess and a team that didn't have many talented players suited for his defensive and offensive systems,
This is the part I don't understand. UCF had the 3rd fewest seniors in the nation during the 0-12 season, and this was born out by all the freshman who played that year. But that would make it a rebuilding year with many more experienced players when Frost arrived, unless recruiting the previous two years had been a disaster. Was it?

The alternative narrative I heard more was that GOL recruits were ill-suited to Frost's offensive system. Linemen recruited to wear down defenses and sustain blocks were too slow and heavy to execute quick hit plays. Running had to trim down (Dontravius took off 15 lbs), too. Akins was moved to TE as that position became one for receiving rather than blocking on runs.

So which was it? Can't attribute things to just a "culture of losing" because the basketball team had 4 straight years of losing, finishing it off with 11 losses in a row. It can't just be no recruiting class because Frost grabbed a ton of recruits while Dawkins played without a freshman. I think a big difference was that Dawkins has 8 years of P5 head coaching and Frost had none. No substitute for that experience. Frost will get better. Dawkins already had.[/QUOTE]

It doesnt have to be one thing. Actually in the final 2 years of GOL, recruiting was okay at best. We got very good players, but only signed 12-15 guys who actually stayed on the roster. It also doesnt help inheriting young players if they cannot learn a new system. (which takes time, if you see how the coaches spoke about the players this spring vs last spring, its night and day) This year they are sharpening the sword so to speak. Last year they were just trying to forge the sword, forget sharpening.
Its also that football is much harder to win, basketball u have to get 5-8 kids to bite into your coaching schemes and give effort. Basketball you need to sign 2-3 players in recruiting per year. Basketball you only have a few sets to learn and they are pretty much universal by the time youre in college.

Football you need to recruit 20-25 kids a year, in your specific offense or defense, with the right attitude for your team. Most of those kids will either A. Not pan out, some leave the team or B. Not play until they are juniors and seniors. Then you have the 4-5 kids per year who actually make a difference early. Basketball you can survive on raw talent, football you cant AS MUCH.
Football has too many more factors, you cant compare Dawkins to Frost. Thats like comparing a sprinter to a marathon runner. Two different sports, wildly different skill sets and conditions to become a winner.

There is no question that Coach Frost inherited a mess and a team that didn't have many talented players suited for his defensive and offensive systems,

So which was it? Can't attribute things to just a "culture of losing" because the basketball team had 4 straight years of losing, finishing it off with 11 losses in a row. It can't just be no recruiting class because Frost grabbed a ton of recruits while Dawkins played without a freshman. I think a big difference was that Dawkins has 8 years of P5 head coaching and Frost had none. No substitute for that experience. Frost will get better. Dawkins already had.[/QUOTE]

I do not pretend to know much about UCF Football before coach Frost arrived, but I tried to study it a little bit since. By no means I was trying to put down the previous staff's efforts or abilities, but a few things were apparent to me when I got to watch this team a year ago in Spring:

A) The last couple of recruiting classes by the previous staff were not very great and lacked explosive athletes who could be classified as game changing players. There were some young and some upper class men who were decent players, but certainly not many difference makers in the bunch.

B) Many of those players were recruited for an entirely different offensive (Pro-style) and defensive (4-3 read and react) systems and had a hard time to adjust to new systems (spread option O and 3-4 attacking D). The transition was most difficult for those players and that is why I thing Frost and his staff did a fantastic job of coaching around that obstacle last year..

C) Last December when I watched the team, I saw an extremely poor team when it comes to S&C. Most of those players coming off of a 0-12 season and facing a uncertain coaching situation, let the S&C go by the way side (S&C is a 12 moths a year job for players at the big boy football level). Coach Frost's S&C staff did a remarkable job that Off season to prepare some of those for the season.

D) When a team goes 0-12 and when the entire coaching staff is fired, players tend to go into a shell and their mentalities towards the game become unstable and weak. This was very much the case with this team last Winter. Coach frost and staff did a fantastic job to change that mentality as quickly as they could, but in Football and at this level it takes a year or 2 after the transition to fully instill a strong winning mentality among 100 plus players.

E) Football is not Basketball where you are dealing with 10 to 12 players. It takes far greater work and time to turn around a football team that went 0-12 and to motivate/adjust 100 plus players' attitudes. There is no question coach Frost needs to become more experienced as a HC and he is indeed growing in that area while receiving advise from legendary HCs like coach Osborne and Kelly. He and his team are far ahead of last year in that area of "experience"

So, when I say coach Frost inherited a "mess", I meant he got a team that was mentally devastated, ill prepared physically, void of difference makers, and not fully equipped to execute the new systems.

All of those things are changing slowly but surely under coach Frost. He changed the players mentalities and made them believe that they could win and win at a high level IF they work hard and pay attention on and off the filed. He coached them to get better at executing the new systems. He has recruited many players who are much more suited for his systems (specially the 2017 class). And he is building a team from inside out with a great deal of attention given to DL and OL development and a greater emphasis to the physical running game on offense and stopping the run on defense.

Hope this makes sense. Future of this UCF is bright and most fans should worry about keeping Frost after this season as I know many P5 schools are watching him very closely including my beloved Huskers.

Go Big Red and Go Knights!

Dawkins has improved as a head coach. I thought the sting of being fired at Stanford would linger but it hasn't. I think he got energized by moving back to the east coast and near his recruiting territory.

I do not pretend to know much about UCF Football before coach Frost arrived, but I tried to study it a little bit since. By no means I was trying to put down the previous staff's efforts or abilities, but a few things were apparent to me when I got to watch this team a year ago in Spring:

Most of what you said was accurate. You are missing a couple of pieces of the puzzle. UCF had been on reduced scholarships for several years following the mess that our previous AD created (long story) and after the 2013 season and Fiesta Bowl win GOL wanted to retire but was asked to stay on. As part of this GOL got to pick his successor Bent Key who became "head coachin in waiting" but was actually running the show with GOL as a front man. Key turned out to be possibly the worst head coach I have ever seen. As a result Key was fired and GOL "resigned". I don't think anyone saw how bad the coaching had become as we won the AAC in 2014 which hid much of the problems. Add to it the mass number of injuries in 2015 and you had a perfect storm.

Frost stepped into a program that had decent talent, but had not been properly trained or coached. There was an institutional problem that needed a complete restart and Frost was the guy to do it.

Most of what you said was accurate. You are missing a couple of pieces of the puzzle. UCF had been on reduced scholarships for several years following the mess that our previous AD created (long story) and after the 2013 season and Fiesta Bowl win GOL wanted to retire but was asked to stay on. As part of this GOL got to pick his successor Bent Key who became "head coachin in waiting" but was actually running the show with GOL as a front man. Key turned out to be possibly the worst head coach I have ever seen. As a result Key was fired and GOL "resigned". I don't think anyone saw how bad the coaching had become as we won the AAC in 2014 which hid much of the problems. Add to it the mass number of injuries in 2015 and you had a perfect storm.

Frost stepped into a program that had decent talent, but had not been properly trained or coached. There was an institutional problem that needed a complete restart and Frost was the guy to do it.

Thank you for this info. Makes perfect sense!

A) The last couple of recruiting classes by the previous staff were not very great and lacked explosive athletes who could be classified as game changing players. There were some young and some upper class men who were decent players, but certainly not many difference makers in the bunch.

B) Many of those players were recruited for an entirely different offensive (Pro-style) and defensive (4-3 read and react) systems and had a hard time to adjust to new systems (spread option O and 3-4 attacking D). The transition was most difficult for those players and that is why I thing Frost and his staff did a fantastic job of coaching around that obstacle last year..

C) Last December when I watched the team, I saw an extremely poor team when it comes to S&C. Most of those players coming off of a 0-12 season and facing a uncertain coaching situation, let the S&C go by the way side (S&C is a 12 moths a year job for players at the big boy football level). Coach Frost's S&C staff did a remarkable job that Off season to prepare some of those for the season.

D) When a team goes 0-12 and when the entire coaching staff is fired, players tend to go into a shell and their mentalities towards the game become unstable and weak. This was very much the case with this team last Winter. Coach frost and staff did a fantastic job to change that mentality as quickly as they could, but in Football and at this level it takes a year or 2 after the transition to fully instill a strong winning mentality among 100 plus players.

E) Football is not Basketball where you are dealing with 10 to 12 players. It takes far greater work and time to turn around a football team that went 0-12 and to motivate/adjust 100 plus players' attitudes. There is no question coach Frost needs to become more experienced as a HC and he is indeed growing in that area while receiving advise from legendary HCs like coach Osborne and Kelly. He and his team are far ahead of last year in that area of "experience"

So, when I say coach Frost inherited a "mess", I meant he got a team that was mentally devastated, ill prepared physically, void of difference makers, and not fully equipped to execute the new systems.

All of those things are changing slowly but surely under coach Frost. He changed the players mentalities and made them believe that they could win and win at a high level IF they work hard and pay attention on and off the filed. He coached them to get better at executing the new systems. He has recruited many players who are much more suited for his systems (specially the 2017 class). And he is building a team from inside out with a great deal of attention given to DL and OL development and a greater emphasis to the physical running game on offense and stopping the run on defense.
Hope this makes sense. Future of this UCF is bright and most fans should worry about keeping Frost after this season as I know many P5 schools are watching him very closely including my beloved Huskers.

Thank for your thoughtful response. Appreciate your special perspective and insights. I think the basketball and baseball success and fan interest is all part of the same rekindling of UCF's prior growth path. The new AD has the much needed professionalism, administrative skill, ambition, and contacts to support his new top coaching hires with everything they need for success.

This is what most people fail to realize. You couldnt be more spot on. Everyone else sees W's vs L's....then doesnt bother to dig any deeper to find why. They see the result and make accusations from there, not the true cause.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT