ADVERTISEMENT

A Mass Shooter's 'Motive'

The amount he purchased in the short amount of time undetected is certainly a concerning gap to close.
Here's a thought: How about a national gun registry where guns of all shapes and sizes are registered in one comprehensive, computerized database.

The system could be programmed to raise flags when an individual starts racking up an extraordinary number of gun purchases. Yeah, it could mean avid gun collectors get an occasional visit from the authorities. But so what if it could be a proactive step that saves thousands of innocent lives over time.

I'm sure our resident gun fetishists would freak the hell out about it and claim its some sort of violation of their Second Amendent rights.

I'm saying the extensive planning that jackwagon went through, (1+ year) he was acquiring firearms regardless of legal/illegal.

The amount he purchased in the short amount of time undetected is certainly a concerning gap to close.
If he was buying them legally then it doesn't matter if they were "detected". You keep throwing in "illegal", when it has nothing to do with this situation.

If he was buying them legally then it doesn't matter if they were "detected". You keep throwing in "illegal", when it has nothing to do with this situation.
The concept of illegal guns is sort of like illegal alcohol. The guns and alcohol exist because at a base level they are legal and produced and sold legally. Blaming “illegal” guns for gun violence is like blaming “illegal” alcohol for a DUI. The legality is moot when accessibility is easy.

The concept of illegal guns is sort of like illegal alcohol. The guns and alcohol exist because at a base level they are legal and produced and sold legally. Blaming “illegal” guns for gun violence is like blaming “illegal” alcohol for a DUI. The legality is moot when accessibility is easy.
Very well said.

Here's a thought: How about a national gun registry where guns of all shapes and sizes are registered in one comprehensive, computerized database.

The system could be programmed to raise flags when an individual starts racking up an extraordinary number of gun purchases. Yeah, it could mean avid gun collectors get an occasional visit from the authorities. But so what if it could be a proactive step that saves thousands of innocent lives over time.
It's a fine idea... To piggy back and stimulate further thought... I'm not sure if most shootings would have been flagged by a sales volume tracker though. One firearm with 4 clips will do plenty of damage.

More proaction on "the signs" or "red flags" needs to be a pillar of prevention. Nothing is more frustrating than hearing that the shooter(s) showed "signs".

My feeling in those past situations is people / officials didn't want the liability of potentially false accusations, i.e. threat of lawsuits. We all know we're a very litigious society.

It's a fine idea... To piggy back and stimulate further thought... I'm not sure if most shootings would have been flagged by a sales volume tracker though. One firearm with 4 clips will do plenty of damage.

More proaction on "the signs" or "red flags" needs to be a pillar of prevention. Nothing is more frustrating than hearing that the shooter(s) showed "signs".

My feeling in those past situations is people / officials didn't want the liability of potentially false accusations, i.e. threat of lawsuits. We all know we're a very litigious society.
Unless a person is incarcerated for showing “signs”, there is not much that can be done to prevent their acquisition and use of firearms in a country where they are abundant and easily accessible.

Unless a person is incarcerated for showing “signs”, there is not much that can be done to prevent their acquisition and use of firearms in a country where they are abundant and easily accessible.
But can you stop them from playing video games and listening to all that rap music? That's the real problem, not the guns.

giphy.gif

You are the one who brought up "illegal", in regards to a situation it doesnt even apply, and now you are telling us not to talk about it?
Yes, I'm telling you, you went down the wrong path with my comment... Vegas dude planned for over a year, so legal or not, that nut case would have figured out how to get guns, and private sales is a gap in the system.

So you can redirect your energy into realistic solutions... Like flagging kids with issues, so if they appear at a gun shop, or if parents have purchased guns from a dealer - authorities are aware, can take proactive measures.

But can you stop them from playing video games and listening to all that rap music? That's the real problem, not the guns.
Are you suggesting violent games, movies, music doesn't contribute to the normalization / desensitizing of certain aspects of our culture? 🤔

Yes, I'm telling you, you went down the wrong path with my comment... Vegas dude planned for over a year, so legal or not, that nut case would have figured out how to get guns, and private sales is a gap in the system.

So you can redirect your energy into realistic solutions... Like flagging kids with issues, so if they appear at a gun shop, or if parents have purchased guns from a dealer - authorities are aware, can take proactive measures.

How did I go down the wrong path, when I comment directly on a statement you made? You went down the wrong path and then want to blame it on everyone else.

Plenty of people put their energy into realistic solutions, but it doesnt go anywhere because one political party cares more about guns than dead people. Until that changes, and we start voting out politicians who only care about their lobbying money, nothing is going to change. I dont know how you vote since all you do is lecture people on this board without actually taking a stance on anything, but if you do vote GOP, then we certainly dont need your lectures on gun issues.

Are you suggesting violent games, movies, music doesn't contribute to the normalization / desensitizing of certain aspects of our culture? 🤔

Video games, music, and movies are available all over the world. The difference, is most countries have reasonable gun laws. You are just trying to deflect from that actual issue, which is this country has a gun problem, where as most other western nations dont.

Nice strawman. No. Im not suggesting that. Just suggesting what I actually stated. Which is that gun crime is correlated to gun availability. Not video games, movies, and music.

I’m not sure what “flagging kids with issues” means or “when parents are purchasing guns from a dealer” entails. Nor how it would curb any gun violence if the authorities were aware that the guns were possessed. What are “proactive measures” short of removing the ability to acquire guns?

Logical fallacy much?

Try to think a little bit harder here. This isn’t a good look for you.

Back the truck up on the legal/illegal debate, someone made a wrong turn on assumption lane...
Funny how these assumptions begin with statements you've made. If folks here are making 'erroneous' assumptions, that's on you.
I control others' interpretations, got it.
Yeah, we've got it --- as in your number. When you get called out for the sh*t you wrote here and in the DeSantis education thread, you bat your eyes in innocence and say, "Who? Lil ol' ME?"

Reactions: Ucfmikes
Obviously, these non-stop mass shootings are sickening enough on their own. But the immediate media reactions to them are beyond asinine. We always hear the same news reporters say the same damn thing in their aftermath:
"No word yet on the shooter's motive."

THE SHOOTER'S "MOTIVE"??!? WTF??!? The latest Mass Shooter-of-the-Day has just mowed down a whole bunch of innocent people in cold blood so his 'motive' is really important for all of us to get to the bottom of ASAP so we can understand why this tragedy occurred??? Really???

Hey, here's a wild thought: Maybe these shooters are all ****ING CRAZY!!!!
I would think you find motives so that you can formulate an actual "plan" to identify future potential mass shooters or maybe find ways to address the "causes". You also need to figure out how to stop them from LEGALLY purchasing a gun. If you say they are crazy do we offer more support to Americans with mental issues? Sometimes you have to get out of your emotions to find solutions to problems.

Regular reminder that the UK had it's last school shooting over a quarter century ago because they immediately passed legislation to keep it from happening again.

Meanwhile the US measures the time between school shootings in hours.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT