ADVERTISEMENT

A painful but necessary learning experience

Oldest Man

Silver Knight
Oct 19, 2001
Let's face it, this game will have the biggest impact on MM....as a team, we won 38-0 and will still be top 25....as a QB, it was a learning experience for MM and Heupel (especially our offensive play calling).....and MM's QBR coming out of this game may just take him out of any realistic Heisman discussions....

We could have run the ball the entire game and scored more than 38 points....GA St threw 7 passes the week before....and we had no idea how good or bad their secondary was....but we went to our strength and SC State basically shut it down....they really do have a top notch D secondary

Making adjustments on the fly is something our O play calling will have to do...but they didn't do a very good job last night...and MM didn't help the cause with his hesitation, late throws and bad choices....

The good news is we can enjoy the victory as a team and MM and the O coaches can correct their mistakes...and there were plenty of mistakes on O last night...looking forward to them learning from last night and getting better...

Good synopsis.

Even before yesterday, he had .00000001% chance of winning the Heisman. Wrong team, wrong conference. We would have to be at least 13-1 (at least made it into the CFI and won the first game), and he'd have to surpass 4500 yds, at least 40 TDs against less than 10 picks.

I think you worry about getting better each week and winning games and that's all you can do. The conference title is, and always will be, the #1 goal.

Reactions: Knight Strength
Let's face it, this game will have the biggest impact on MM....as a team, we won 38-0 and will still be top 25....as a QB, it was a learning experience for MM and Heupel (especially our offensive play calling).....and MM's QBR coming out of this game may just take him out of any realistic Heisman discussions....

We could have run the ball the entire game and scored more than 38 points....GA St threw 7 passes the week before....and we had no idea how good or bad their secondary was....but we went to our strength and SC State basically shut it down....they really do have a top notch D secondary

Making adjustments on the fly is something our O play calling will have to do...but they didn't do a very good job last night...and MM didn't help the cause with his hesitation, late throws and bad choices....

The good news is we can enjoy the victory as a team and MM and the O coaches can correct their mistakes...and there were plenty of mistakes on O last night...looking forward to them learning from last night and getting better...

I think his hesitation was in part due to seeing the coverage and trying to force the ball anyway. According to Marc Daniels they were playing a nickel D and taking away our downfield passing game. But we kept forcing it downfield. Maybe should have ran the ball more, and forced them out of the nickel. With our stable of running backs we could have done that all day long, rather than force what is not there and frustrate the offense.

I’d like to see Heup take the training wheels off Mack and let him air out a few long passes. If anything happens to KZ then Mack will need to have confidence in making the long throws.

Reactions: ReturnOf
Any talks of being drafted also takes a major hit. He showed that he needs his speed and mobility to create his passing game, it's just not going to translate in the NFL where the slowest guys are faster than the fastest in college and bigger.

Any talks of being drafted also takes a major hit. He showed that he needs his speed and mobility to create his passing game, it's just not going to translate in the NFL where the slowest guys are faster than the fastest in college and bigger.
This. Great and huge point

He had to have been told not to run. Seemed like a preseason NFL game where the QBs are working on throwing to certain receivers regardless what the defense was giving. Nixon seemed like he wasn’t there. Only remember that one nice catch that was underthrown.

Reactions: MckenzieMilton10
He had to have been told not to run. Seemed like a preseason NFL game where the QBs are working on throwing to certain receivers regardless what the defense was giving. Nixon seemed like he wasn’t there. Only remember that one nice catch that was underthrown.
Nixon might have been dinged up, or Heup went very vanilla and was/is going to unleash the full game plan on UNC and Pitt. We just don't know what a first time coach is thinking. Frost was doing strange things his first season, like even though we sometimes had decent leads we still were running plays with 20 seconds left on the clock. To this day I think the reason for this was to just teach the team to run plays faster. He know year 1 was an entire teaching season and he had the leash to do it. I wouldn't doubt if Heup has gone too far conservative with his play-calling so far, because he does have high expectations on him. Although I could be totally wrong and the team really needs time to get comfortable under the new passing scheme. I guess we'll find out how it all unfolds as we play more games. This is why college football can have such highs and lows. Why good games and bad games can come out of nowhere.

Reactions: ProAttitude
I think this was a really good thing to happen. I believe the team prepared hard core for UCONN and once they saw how easy it was against them, let off the gas. I think they started to believe we’re going to win just because. This should have been a good reality check to remind them we’re not invincible. I predict this week will be MUCH improved, if we play.

Also, wasn’t SCState positioned to be a classic trap game? Just came off a good conference win and looking ahead to a tough P5 team? (Of course now we know UNC sucks, but didn’t at the time)

Reactions: Nyght Shadow
We needed to run more slants and crossing routes. Or dump it to the RBs. I don't think AK or Otis had many targets yesterday.

THIS. I kept saying to myself we need to do more slants and dumps on this nickel D because downfield wasn't having it. But I am no coach but it seemed pretty obvious. To the guy who said we should have ran it more we ran more than passing which is already against the norm for a Huepel ran offense.

Reactions: ProAttitude
Milton didnt run or scramble much which was probably by design after he got dinged up. Took unnecessary risks to try to put up big numbers when in reality, SC State was set up with extra DBs to take away the pass. This is why UCF run game averaged over 10 per carry. Would have been better to take what they were giving up and just run it down their throat all game. But that doesn’t get him is numbers.

Part of it is just the transition into Heups offense. With any luck, instead of asking MM adjusting to the new scheme, CJH will adjust his playcalling to meet the teams strengths. I'm sure that CJH saw this as an opportunity to see how well the players are adapting to what he wants to do.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT