ADVERTISEMENT

***Aaron Robinson has been a bright spot on defense***

Brandon

Publisher
Staff
May 28, 2001
Winter Park, FL
www.ucfsports.com

UCF returned some experience on the defensive side of the ball, but it's one of the new starters who grades as the top early-season performer.

Aaron Robinson, a first-year starter at nickelback, has a 79.4 rating according to PFF College, which evaluates players on every snap they're in the game. "A-Rob" has been responsible for 20 tackles through the first four games and also pulled down an interception against Stanford.

"(The coaches are) definitely satisfied with how I'm performing," Robinson said in an interview this week. "They want me to keep it going. There's always areas I can improve on. They like where I'm heading."

Robinson transferred in from Alabama prior to the 2017 season, looking for an expanded role within the secondary. In the first play of the first game he was eligible to play - the 2018 season opener at UConn - he suffered a serious concussion on the opening kickoff.

He eventually returned to action, though in a much more limited role than expected. Robinson ended up appearing in seven games, still trying to acclimate himself back to full speed.

In the spring, coaches asked the Deerfield Beach native to make the move to nickelback. Corner looked to be in good hands with Nevelle Clarke and Brandon Moore returning and UCF needed a solid option at nickel following the graduation of Rashard Causey.

"This past spring, they felt like they needed a nickel back and called me for the job. It was a next man u thing. It was definitely an opportunity for me to help the team the best way I could. I was a little nervous at first, but the coaches walked me through it."

cbzzwxq0o2ldglvydfnf

There are differences between cornerback and nickel, but Robinson made fast work of the transition.

"I felt like I adapted pretty quickly," he said. "Cornerback you're on the outside. Nickel, you're in the box or slot with more space inside. It's definitely a different thing for me, but it came along pretty well I feel like."

Causey, who a year earlier made the same move from backup corner to starting safety, also was there to guide him along.

"Early on in the spring, he hit me up and kind of gave me some tips on the nickel position and helped walk me through it," Robinson said. "Coaching me up on things that I needed help with and areas he first had struggles on."

Robinson said the team was upset over their performance in the Pitt game, but he feels they've learned from the experience.

"It took a pretty big toll on us all," he said. "Nobody likes losing. We were sore losers after that. We're brothers. We're a family. A team. We came together, we need to step it up. Let's take that extra mile. We've been going about it pretty good this week."

The Knights are back home this weekend to begin American conference play against UConn.

"There's nothing like playing a home game here in the Bounce House," Robinson said. "I feel like it was a tough loss last week on the road. Being back home, it's back in our favor. Great fanbase. Go out with a chip on our shoulder and ready to give our next opponent everything we've got."

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News