ADVERTISEMENT

Andrew Yang on Universal Basic Income

ChrisKnight06

Todd's Tiki Bar
Gold Member
Nov 30, 2005
It feels like I'm always posting something from a Rogan podcast and it's really because I find a lot of the guests so interesting no matter the subject matter. Just love hearing people unpack ideas instead of sound bites.

I had never heard of this Andrew Yang guy before and my introduction to him was the social media post promoting this podcast appearance, stating that he's a Dem Pres candidate for 2020 and that he'd be on to talk about Universal Basic Income.

I went in to this skeptical as all hell but came away impressed with his data driven approach. I really appreciate the way he's thinking about this technological wave we're experiencing and the very real dilemmas it will continue to bring.

An important aspect of this is to stop thinking of it as some problem down the road and to realize most American jobs fall in to industries that are more and more subject to automation. Admin/clerical, retail, transportation, manufacturing. It's more complicated than retraining and we should all agree it's not nearly as simple as learning to code. They use to trucking industry a lot bc he's spent a lot of time talking with truckers.

I challenge you to listen. I realize the easy thing to do is comment and dismiss the concept on its face but there is zero doubt a real discussion needs to be had and I think you will appreciate that he's getting it started in a thoughtful way.

It's really not about "if" but "when". Automation will reach a point that we will be able to eliminate 99% of low level jobs, and those people will need to be able to make a living at some point.

giphy.gif

Reactions: UCFWayne
maybe in 20+ years we can talk about it.

That's a bit short sighted, don't you think? Shouldn't we be planning for the future? 20 years isn't that far away. It's in most of our lifetimes an definitely the next generation's lifetime.

Reactions: NinjaKnight
That's a bit short sighted, don't you think? Shouldn't we be planning for the future? 20 years isn't that far away. It's in most of our lifetimes an definitely the next generation's lifetime.
when the time comes, and it is coming, we can discuss it then.

So...we should wait for problems to arise, even though we know they're coming, before discussing them?

Right...
i told you see it as a problem in about 20 years. so maybe around year 15 we start discussing it. its not a pressing concern right now. its not like im discounting the idea entirely.

I'm only part of the way through the interview, but I found it interesting to hear Yang say that we're about 11 years away from this being the new norm. To Wayne's point, but to take it to another extreme, this will not happen until after it's a problem. Our government (federal, state, local) is not designed to be proactive about anything.

Reactions: UCFWayne
I'm only part of the way through the interview, but I found it interesting to hear Yang say that we're about 11 years away from this being the new norm. To Wayne's point, but to take it to another extreme, this will not happen until after it's a problem. Our government (federal, state, local) is not designed to be proactive about anything.

It's a damn scary thought. Like he said throughout the podcast, "we're in the 3rd inning" . Absolutely cannot afford to start looking at this 10 yrs down the road. If nothing else I hope he garners attention in this election cycle just so it forces other candidates to take on the issue.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/mone...ould-kill-73-million-u-s-jobs-2030/899878001/

Reactions: NinjaKnight
So...we should wait for problems to arise, even though we know they're coming, before discussing them?

Right...

Well the point is automation might not kill any net jobs. Companies can sell products with less costs and more products which then leads to other jobs. More profits generate more income which leads to people with disposable income. Freaking plumbers, electricians, construction, engineering, etc isn't going to fall away.

But let's go ahead and do the Democrat thing and pay lazy people to do nothing.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT