ADVERTISEMENT

Anna Maria Island after Helene

I was told by renowned climatologist @goodknightfl that climate change isn't real. The fact that Helene fed off the record breaking superheated Gulf waters and surged from a cat 1 to a cat 4 in under 24 hours is completely normal.

Reactions: Ucfmikes
After watching 60 Minutes last night, I learned the double-tragedy of this devastation is that these home owners are likely to be screwed over by their insurance companies in their efforts to recover their damages.

The storm surge really caught so many people off guard ..most saw Helene as a fast mover and didn’t think the flooding and surge would get as bad as predicted

• Wow
It’s really sad. I saw a LOT of videos of Clearwater Beach and St. Petersburg. Spent nearly an hour watching them last night

One beachfront condo that I used to own, 3-4 stores, and restaurants that I used to frequent, and 4-5 hotels that I’ve stayed at.

Not sure how high the water got, but some of those places are hosed. It’s like a river flowed through Clearwater Beach. Mandalay Ave. must be 3-4 inches deep in sand and Frenchy’s (both) may NEVER recover. Frenchy’s deck is basically on the beach. Maybe 100 yards max from the ocean.

People can’t go to work as waitresses and bartenders. The marina is wrecked. The marina parking lot is a few inches under sand. My old condo’s first floor parking garage is a mess. Coronado Avenue (behind the Wyndham and Hyatt) probably had a river of at LEAST a few feet (saw the video) and is now all deep sand. The little outdoor bar there is destroyed. I’m sure eveything on that road is. A couple of hotels have a lot on ground level. Some are only one story.

It’s really sad. I go there several times a year, so I was able to pick up on the locations quite easily.

I can’t imagine how long this is going to take to get back to anything near what it was. Cross it off the list right now on places to visit.

This WASN’T EVEN the direct hit that they were dreading. It was 100 miles + offshore. I truly believe that a full on hit with a category-3 to 5 will put nearly the entire island of Clearwater Beach, Tampa and St. Petersburg under water. The insurance rates are going to skyrocket if you can even get insurance.

Do not move there.

The ONLY thing that came out of this that was good is that the water fence invented to go around the ENTIRE Tampa General hospital worked like a charm. Kept out the storm surge. It can handle 15 feet and 130 mph winds.

• Sad
Reactions: Poolside Knight
Do not move there.

The ONLY thing that came out of this that was good is that the water fence invented to go around the ENTIRE Tampa General hospital worked like a charm. Kept out the storm surge. It can handle 15 feet and 130 mph winds.
I saw a video clip of that Tampa General Hospital water fence holding off the surge , it looked like a scene from an apocalypse movie.

I know someone that lives by there on Tampa’s Davis Island. His entire first floor of his apartment got wiped out , girl that lived next door was watching tv when it got out of hand and couldn’t open her door bc the water was so high and crawled out of her room window to get to the second floor. It happened so fast and blindsided people there that didn’t think it would get this bad without a direct hit.

The Gulf Coast of Florida has developed so much the last 10 years from Naples to Tampa Bay. But these run of storms has to have people question long term viability of living or buying there.

• Wow
I saw a video clip of that Tampa General Hospital water fence holding off the surge , it looked like a scene from an apocalypse movie.

I know someone that lives by there on Tampa’s Davis Island. His entire first floor of his apartment got wiped out , girl that lived next door was watching tv when it got out of hand and couldn’t open her door bc the water was so high and crawled out of her room window to get to the second floor. It happened so fast and blindsided people there that didn’t think it would get this bad without a direct hit.

The Gulf Coast of Florida has developed so much the last 10 years from Naples to Tampa Bay. But these run of storms has to have people question long term viability of living or buying there.
Derek Jeter has or had a mansion on Davis island

Punta Gorda was a small community that has grown in the past 20-25 years.

It is definitely a place that keeps getting hammered. Absolutely not a place to live anymore IMO.

Reactions: NinjaKnight
An article probably is going to come out about this pretty soon. Not just about Helene, but the west coast of Florida really has become uninhabitable. It’s Russian Roulette. The odds of getting hammered up to a few miles inland every 5-20 years are really high.

Last edited:
Reactions: NinjaKnight
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT