ADVERTISEMENT

Anybody watch enough tape on McCall to say he'd be a good get for us?

I've only seen bits and pieces of his play but wondering if anybody has done a deep dive on this guy.
He suffered a concussion in Coastal's Oct 21 game against Arkansas State. It was a bad hit when he was sliding. McCall did not play the rest of the season. He was still listed as doubtful in their finale against James Madison.

Last edited:
Would rather not have a 1 year rental……didn’t play after a serious concussion……. Clearly does not run as well as he did in 2021, so may be more interested in a pro style offense.

If a 1 year rental is the best we could do, he would be OK but not great.

Reactions: Yaes
I've only seen bits and pieces of his play but wondering if anybody has done a deep dive on this guy.
I watched his highlight on YouTube. Of course, everyone looks great on their highlight reel.
What I noticed is that he had a lot of wide open receivers at Coastal C and didn’t have much defensive pressure (at least not on his highlights). This makes me somewhat skeptical about how well he will succeed against typically better competition.
He can run but he certainly isn’t in the same class as JRP in that regard. I honestly think JRP did a really good job this season when he was healthy. Gus obviously put him back on the field way too soon and it was painful to watch. This could’ve been a really, really good season if he hadn’t been hurt and if the coaches hadn’t made some really stupid play calls in some of our close losses..
IMO, I don’t think McCall would be a significant upgrade (if any) in CGM’s offense. McCall might be a better passer but JRP is a great athlete who is so dangerous with his feet when healthy. Also… in his 2nd season as a Knight, JRP is a true leader in the locker room and you can tell the players really like him. Can McCall step into that same type of leadership role in his only season as a NIL transfer? Perhaps we’ll get a chance to find out.
In the meantime, I’ve got my Gasparilla tickets and I’m excited to see how JRP and this team will perform versus a respectable GaTech opponent. GKCO.

You’re asking a forum that skewered Bo Nix and Michael Penix when they were rumor to be visiting here. Not a good track record for talent evaluation on here.

• Haha
Reactions: U C to the F
it’s hard to evaluate a QB that plays the teams CC does. The Sunbelt just isn’t a good conference. Would he have a 65-70 percent completion percentage in a better conference? Almost certainly not. The defensive backs are faster, smarter and better coached. The defensive lines are as well.

However, he seems like a good athlete that knows where to go with the ball. He has adequate arm strength for any pass Gus would require. He might have a really strong arm, I just haven’t watched him enough.

I’m sure he is probably looking for a pass first offense or at least one with a smart passing scheme. I don’t see why he would transfer here, especially after suffering a concussion.

Reactions: Yaes
It seems like McCall is a bigger, better, smarter JRP. From the tape I watched and his numbers, if he stays healthy he could really execute Coach's plan. :cool:

I watched his highlight on YouTube. Of course, everyone looks great on their highlight reel.
What I noticed is that he had a lot of wide open receivers at Coastal C and didn’t have much defensive pressure (at least not on his highlights). This makes me somewhat skeptical about how well he will succeed against typically better competition.
He can run but he certainly isn’t in the same class as JRP in that regard. I honestly think JRP did a really good job this season when he was healthy. Gus obviously put him back on the field way too soon and it was painful to watch. This could’ve been a really, really good season if he hadn’t been hurt and if the coaches hadn’t made some really stupid play calls in some of our close losses..
IMO, I don’t think McCall would be a significant upgrade (if any) in CGM’s offense. McCall might be a better passer but JRP is a great athlete who is so dangerous with his feet when healthy. Also… in his 2nd season as a Knight, JRP is a true leader in the locker room and you can tell the players really like him. Can McCall step into that same type of leadership role in his only season as a NIL transfer? Perhaps we’ll get a chance to find out.
In the meantime, I’ve got my Gasparilla tickets and I’m excited to see how JRP and this team will perform versus a respectable GaTech opponent. GKCO.
Totally Drewster. Nice take! :cool:

Reactions: Drew-C-F
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT