ADVERTISEMENT

ARE YOU READY FOR THURSDAY. Lets talk first game observations/desires/must see events…

Kevin Reis

Todd's Tiki Bar
Gold Member
May 29, 2001
Oviedo, Florida
Ok guys, when it comes to the first game of the season you don’t know what to expect.

It always seemed Coach O’Leary wanted to get the running attack going so it was an old fashioned mash mouth Football game.

Personally I have a few things I would like to see.

First the basics:
On Offense, I want to see an ability to score points in different manners, such as running for a touchdown, passing for a touchdown and how about a field goal.
On Defense, I want to see some stops at the line of scrimmage when they run, and getting pressure on the quarterback when he passes. Plus holding the opponent to very few points.

Since it’s the first game I hope a lot of players get to play to reward them for all their hard work and dedication during the off season.

Now specifically:
I would like to see our quarterback KJ hit passes of different ranges, including over the middle. Since it’s our first game a blessing would be to see our top 3 quarterbacks get playing time.
Would like to see Harvey break a run of more than 20 yards to see some top end speed and know that he got some downfield blocking from our receivers.
Would like to see us take advantage of our highly skilled backfield by having some two back sets and running different plays with that setup. (Although I understand if we would save that capability until Conference games start)

Would like to see a very fast paced Offense that can successfully use our wide receivers who Coach Malzahn has stated is a solid 6 deep. No reason if we have 6 deep at the wide receiver position we can’t rotate to put extreme pressure on a Defense.

I want to see our Offensive line run block with a passion. A bonus would be to see a sweep where our OLine was able to get out and block DBs/Linebackers downfield. Meaning do we have any athletic OLinemen.

Finally on Offense, how about a successful pass downfield to Tight End Randy Pittman to really help open our Offense.

On Defense:
First basically, can we tackle, hit, cause a turnover, get to the quarterback using a four man rush or by blitzing? Plenty of talk about being more aggressive like blitzing. Let’s see if we can without our secondary being burned.

Specifically on Defense:
Against the run, can our Linebacker transfers Barr and Pace make an immediate impact?
On the Defensive Line, we heard they are going to have more freedom to do some damage. Who can step up when given that opportunity?
Coach Malzahn stated we brought in experienced playmakers on Defense. Who will it be? I’m chomping at the bit to see our Defense play.
Will Coach Roof unleash our Defense Thursday evening?

I trust in our Punter, which is great, but would sure like to see a solid field goal of around 40 yards.

Hope this whet your appetite.
Let’s goooooooo!!!!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals to access this premium section.

• Say your piece in exclusive fan communities.
  • Unlock Premium news from the largest network of experts.
  • Dominate with stats, athlete data, Rivals250 rankings, and more.