ADVERTISEMENT

Around the Kingdom: Is 6 wins for football good enough?

ucf1

Bronze Knight
Gold Member
Dec 17, 2001
Join Eric Lopez and Trace Trylko as they debate some of the current topics surrounding UCF Athletics. In this episode, the guys recap what they've seen and heard through the first few weeks of fall camp, including all of the talk about John Rhys Plumlee's progression.

Next, the guys get into a discussion about expectations for UCF Football's record in 2023. Is 6 wins good enough? And will people be happy with a losing conference record?

The guys also dive into the AP Top 25 poll, which includes several teams from the Big 12, and a few that are on the schedule this season.

Plus: Can you name the Knights in the NFL, does basketball really need more money, and when are we getting College Gameday?

Click here to watch.

Join Eric Lopez and Trace Trylko as they debate some of the current topics surrounding UCF Athletics. In this episode, the guys recap what they've seen and heard through the first few weeks of fall camp, including all of the talk about John Rhys Plumlee's progression.

Next, the guys get into a discussion about expectations for UCF Football's record in 2023. Is 6 wins good enough? And will people be happy with a losing conference record?

The guys also dive into the AP Top 25 poll, which includes several teams from the Big 12, and a few that are on the schedule this season.

Plus: Can you name the Knights in the NFL, does basketball really need more money, and when are we getting College Gameday?

Click here to watch.
6 wins total? Hell, we need (and should) get 6 home wins. It won't be easy but last year we lost 2 at home and that was unacceptable. Gus owes us....remember, we had a 21-game home winning streak not that long ago. It's time that the fans let Gus know that, with our schedule this year, we expect to win 'em all at home. And we should expect to win at least half of our road games. Got to lift these expectations....period.

Were going to win at least 8. Kent state, boise, villanova to start.

Then we likely win wvu, houston, and cincy.

We “could win” against baylor, okst, kansas

Kstate, oklahoma, and ttech will be unlikely wins but we have a chance for an upset

Reactions: tjb74
The only two games on our schedule I think we lose is K-State Away and Oklahoma State Home. 10-2.

Reasons:

Kent State (home), they 2nd worse team college football.

Boise State (Away), Boise to get shell shocked by previous game @ #10 Washington. Then UCF comes in with great running game and puts them away.

Villanova (Home). Uh....Villanova.

Kansas State (Away). I think it will be close, but home field advantage K-State. They returning some key players from last year although lost great running back to NFL.

Baylor (Home). No way jose. Bounce House too lively and UCF coming off a loss well be pissed. First big12 home game. I can see a blow out in this one.

Kansas (Away). Kansas was improved last year. However, it's still kansas. I doubt we lose.

Oklahoma (away). UCF sitting at 5-1 and getting some votes. Oklahoma sucked last year. Dillon Gabriel factor as well. UCF plays lights out and shocks the soooners.

West Virginia (Home). UCF ain't losing this game.

Cincinnati (Away). Louisville coach moves to Cinci. They looking for revenge factor from us beating them last year. Probably gonna be a great game. UCF wins.

Oklahoma State (home). Space game. Okie-state returns a great offensive line. I like their coach and I think he squeaks out a win in the bounce house.

Texas Tech (Away). don't know much about them. Some articles say they will be good. dunno, but gut feeling UCF.

Houston (home). No way we lose to Houston.

10-2, finish regular season in top 15. Does that get us in conference champ game? It should.

Also as a disclaimer, i'm no expert and could be seriously wrong.

For me, 6-6 is the over/under number....and I think it depends on QB play.

I'm OK with 6-6 though as long as we represent ourselves well. No 64-12 losses.
Agree - no lopsided losses! TT

Reactions: Shark19
Were going to win at least 8. Kent state, boise, villanova to start.

Then we likely win wvu, houston, and cincy.

We “could win” against baylor, okst, kansas

Kstate, oklahoma, and ttech will be unlikely wins but we have a chance for an upset
I think Boise State will be a truth teller. Playing them at home (away games don't go well for us) on that awful blue field!

I think Boise State will be a truth teller. Playing them at home (away games don't go well for us) on that awful blue field!
Agreed. Cannot take any wins or losses for granted. 6-6 means a bowl game in the inaugural Big12 season. Most newly christened P5 teams would take that in a heartbeat. UCF should expect better than 6-6. Always hope for the best, but prepare for the worst in these situations.

Gus has went 6-6 only once as a collegiate head coach and it was a season when he lost his top returning running back and wide receiver for the season.

Last edited:
<6 wins: Gus is all talk, we suck
6 wins: disappointed, but content, it's our first year
7 wins: More content but still a little disappointed
8 wins: Quite happy, we were slept on a bit
9 wins: Very Happy, we over performed
10 wins: Ecstatic, this is who Gus has been talking us up to be
11 wins: I'm calling in sick and going to Dallas for the conference game
12 wins: JRP finishes 2nd for Heisman behind Bo Nix, I put in my PTO and go to conference game and NY6

Sounds like B12 is a downgrade in competition compared to AAC based on posts. Maybe AAC was actually P5 instead.

Bad B12 teams like WVU, Kansas still win games against ranked teams. Bad AAC teams only beat FCS teams and sometimes not even that.

Any road win this year will be the biggest road win under Malzahn aside from @Tulane (played in front of 27k).

12 wins: JRP finishes 2nd for Heisman behind Bo Nix, I put in my PTO and go to conference game and NY6
If this happens, we will kidnap Nix so JRP will win in absentia. Needless to say, there will be no rope buying anytime soon.

• Haha
Reactions: PhDee
Sounds like B12 is a downgrade in competition compared to AAC based on posts. Maybe AAC was actually P5 instead.

Bad B12 teams like WVU, Kansas still win games against ranked teams. Bad AAC teams only beat FCS teams and sometimes not even that.

Any road win this year will be the biggest road win under Malzahn aside from @Tulane (played in front of 27k).
Yeah, definately seeing some usif type posts on this subject.

Gus's press conference after each potential finish...

5-7

6-6

7-5
]
8-4

9-3

10-2 or better

Last edited:
Given the increase in competition week-to-week, I'll be happy w/6-6 and a low tier bowl game. Great if we do better...just setting my expectations based on reality. It will take us some time to get acclimated.

6 is my floor. Team is loaded with seniors including a returning senior QB hand picked by the HC. If we can't go bowling I'd be very concerned unless there are a lot of devastating injuries.

The Golden Knights will beat the sooners!

3. Oklahoma football will lose to two Big 12 newcomers

The Big 12 will welcome four new teams this year: BYU, UCF, Houston, and Cincinnati. The Sooners will face three of them in their departing year from the conference. They’ll travel to Cincinnati and BYU, while hosting UCF at home.

These could all be intriguing matchups for the Sooners as they say goodbye to the Big 12. So much so that I believe they will lose two out of three of these games. The biggest challenge will be when Gus Malzahn and the Golden Knights come to Norman.

UCF will have John Rhys Plumlee, who had nearly 900 rushing yards last season and could be one of the best dual-threat quarterbacks in the conference. And with him will be running back RJ Harvey, who rushed for 796 yards at 6.7 yards per carry, and wide receivers Javon Baker and Kobe Hudson, who combined for over 1,400 yards and 95 catches last season. These players and others could pose problems for an unsure Sooners’ defense.

After that, it’ll be interesting to see what this year’s Sooners team looks like by the time they have to travel to Provo to play BYU in late November. They’ll have journeyman Kedon Slovis to deal with, who is playing for his third team now. Needless to say, I believe the new neighbors might not be so welcoming to Oklahoma.

The Golden Knights will beat the sooners!

3. Oklahoma football will lose to two Big 12 newcomers

The Big 12 will welcome four new teams this year: BYU, UCF, Houston, and Cincinnati. The Sooners will face three of them in their departing year from the conference. They’ll travel to Cincinnati and BYU, while hosting UCF at home.

These could all be intriguing matchups for the Sooners as they say goodbye to the Big 12. So much so that I believe they will lose two out of three of these games. The biggest challenge will be when Gus Malzahn and the Golden Knights come to Norman.

UCF will have John Rhys Plumlee, who had nearly 900 rushing yards last season and could be one of the best dual-threat quarterbacks in the conference. And with him will be running back RJ Harvey, who rushed for 796 yards at 6.7 yards per carry, and wide receivers Javon Baker and Kobe Hudson, who combined for over 1,400 yards and 95 catches last season. These players and others could pose problems for an unsure Sooners’ defense.

After that, it’ll be interesting to see what this year’s Sooners team looks like by the time they have to travel to Provo to play BYU in late November. They’ll have journeyman Kedon Slovis to deal with, who is playing for his third team now. Needless to say, I believe the new neighbors might not be so welcoming to Oklahoma.

If we win at Norman they can call us whatever they'd like.

Bout sums it up perfectly! :cool:

Reactions: Yaes

excellent point WOZ

As I look at the schedule, I see 2 wins that are almost guaranteed; Kent St and Villanova. After that, every team is a team that could potentially defeat us if we don't bring our A game. Baylor, KSU, OU, we could still bring our A game and get beat. Those are quality schools. If in the past we have struggled with Tulsa, and I think we have, why would you think Okie Light would be a victory. They are Tulsa, just with better players. Texas Tech is getting a ton of hype, and rightfully so. Kansas returns 10 starters on O, including the first team All Big 12 QB. I know they lost the Liberty Bowl, but didn't they score like 50 on Arkansas? And you think that will be a W.

Cincy and Houston are a little down, so is West Virginia. Boise is a toss up in my opinion. Win those 4 and Kent St and Villanova, you got 6. Anything more than 6 wins, I would consider a success. Now, if we sign the class I think we are going to this year. Couple that with what I think we will get next year, then you start to have a nucleus for a team that can make some serious noise. Georgia noise, not likely. But a run in the CFP, sure. We need some time to let our young guys develop. We are not going to dominate a conference with schools like Baylor, TCU, Utah- Kyle Whittingham= best coach in the country, with freshmen and sophomores. 2025-2026 we should be primed to do something special, and from that point, I think we will be a top 15 school almost every year and be able to compete if not at the highest level (GA, Bama, tOSU, etc...) right behind those top schools. And if we continue to be successful, we can reach that highest level, JMO.

Reactions: AuburnLegacy_1
I doubt people would be happy with 6 losses if they were 1 score losses. Play calling and clock management will be the lead topics and people upset.

As I look at the schedule, I see 2 wins that are almost guaranteed; Kent St and Villanova. After that, every team is a team that could potentially defeat us if we don't bring our A game. Baylor, KSU, OU, we could still bring our A game and get beat. Those are quality schools. If in the past we have struggled with Tulsa, and I think we have, why would you think Okie Light would be a victory. They are Tulsa, just with better players. Texas Tech is getting a ton of hype, and rightfully so. Kansas returns 10 starters on O, including the first team All Big 12 QB. I know they lost the Liberty Bowl, but didn't they score like 50 on Arkansas? And you think that will be a W.

Cincy and Houston are a little down, so is West Virginia. Boise is a toss up in my opinion. Win those 4 and Kent St and Villanova, you got 6. Anything more than 6 wins, I would consider a success. Now, if we sign the class I think we are going to this year. Couple that with what I think we will get next year, then you start to have a nucleus for a team that can make some serious noise. Georgia noise, not likely. But a run in the CFP, sure. We need some time to let our young guys develop. We are not going to dominate a conference with schools like Baylor, TCU, Utah- Kyle Whittingham= best coach in the country, with freshmen and sophomores. 2025-2026 we should be primed to do something special, and from that point, I think we will be a top 15 school almost every year and be able to compete if not at the highest level (GA, Bama, tOSU, etc...) right behind those top schools. And if we continue to be successful, we can reach that highest level, JMO.
This is a level headed post.

UCF is capable of being a perennial Top 25 program poised for a breakout season every half decade. That is not to suggest the program has a ceiling. UCF should factor into the CFP discussion from time to time.

Back to the topic... While I expect the Knights to factor into the league race this season, success in the Big12 is not guaranteed. Texas has been arguably the most talented team in the league for years and hasn't won the league title since 2009 (Colt McCoy). So many games come down to one possession in the Big12. You have to be lucky and good.

JRP can throw for 3,000 yards and still post a losing season. Dillion Gabriel (Oklahoma) and Hunter Dekkers (Iowa State) each eclipsed 3,000 yards passing and their teams combined to finish 10-15--and the Cyclones had the top defense on the league.
I doubt people would be happy with 6 losses if they were 1 score losses. Play calling and clock management will be the lead topics and people upset.
You are correct. Somebody will point to something. From Gus picks his nose too much on the sidelines to Gus chews too much bubblegum. People will complain about something. UCF competed in the AAC championship game with a third string quarterback last season and some were not satisfied.

People are really overlooking Boise. It is not easy to go up there to that blue turf and come away with a win, in any season. And we know Gus has his issues with road games.

People are really overlooking Boise. It is not easy to go up there to that blue turf and come away with a win, in any season. And we know Gus has his issues with road games.

On top of that the team almost lost to them at home two years ago. The game had a bad start, but even after UCF took control Boise St took back the lead deep in the 4th.

Some will point to that being Malzahn's first game, but it was also Boise St head coach first game. Boise St. has gone 14-5 since they started 3-4 with their head coach.

Their QB who was a redshirt freshman (6'6" 223lbs) had two less games than Plumlee last year, put up same amount of passing Tds, and 1 less rushing td. Averaging 7.2 yards per carry.

On top of that the team almost lost to them at home two years ago. The game had a bad start, but even after UCF took control Boise St took back the lead deep in the 4th.

Some will point to that being Malzahn's first game, but it was also Boise St head coach first game. Boise St. has gone 14-5 since they started 3-4 with their head coach.

Their QB who was a redshirt freshman (6'6" 223lbs) had two less games than Plumlee last year, put up same amount of passing Tds, and 1 less rushing td. Averaging 7.2 yards per carry.
It is also going to be a packed and rowdy house. Cool concept by their AD.

Can we stop referring the BLUE turf??

Its a ****ing field.

Neon ****ing pink doesn't make them a magical football team.

They’ve won 9+ games all but once in the last decade (twice if you count the covid year) - they are a solid team and will be playing at home.

We should be the better team, but that doesn’t always equate to wins (see Navy…twice 😞).

Sometimes I think we've forgotten who UCF is and what they've done. We're sweating Kansas?? Baylor?? WVU?? Iowa State??? They should be sweating us. Are we going to win them all? No. But UCF shouldn't be conceding anything to any of these teams. We've seen bigger and badder and put them down. This could just as easily be a huge year for UCF as it could be a down year. I have no idea what's going to happen, but we should be more confident on what this program can accomplish.

Sometimes I think we've forgotten who UCF is and what they've done. We're sweating Kansas?? Baylor?? WVU?? Iowa State??? They should be sweating us. Are we going to win them all? No. But UCF shouldn't be conceding anything to any of these teams. We've seen bigger and badder and put them down. This could just as easily be a huge year for UCF as it could be a down year. I have no idea what's going to happen, but we should be more confident on what this program can accomplish.
Losing 5 times by 17 or more points, back to back loses to Navy, scraping by wins against USF all in just the last two years definitely resets expectations. 4 seasons since the team was making national headlines. Tulsa, Memphis, ECU, Tulane, Navy, Cincinnati, SMU all picked up wins.

I don't disagree, but my original comment was in regards to people who expect a 10 win season. Other than Kent St and Villanova, every team on our schedule is capable of beating us. Expecting Kansas as a win, to me that is foolish. Kansas in 2023 is a really good football team. They hung with Arkansas. A very physical football team. Im not sure we beat Arkansas. They played them into multiple overtimes. Counting that one as a win, to quote Lee Corso, "Not so fast my friend!" Maybe we win that game, and congrats to our boys! Good win against a quality team. There are no Temples' on our conference schedule. Going ahead a few years, I don't see anybody for the next 2 years that we should have overwhelming talent to defeat.

I'm going to ask you this. When has UCF played top level team after top level team (P5 schools) week after week for 9 weeks in a row? Can we win a bunch of games this year? Hell yeah! But at the same time, can we have an off week? Or two or 3? What if JRP gets injured and has to miss the last 5 ball games (which if he's healthy, I think we should be at minimum 3-2 over that stretch).

Now lets move ahead a few years. Lets assume we keep the studs we have been recruiting and signing. By that point, if we have a legitimate QB1 then we should be more talented than most of our conference mates. But this first and 2nd year in the Big 12, could be a bit rocky. I believe we will win more than we lose. But would I be surprised if we end up 5-7, no.

The reality of our situation is this. For the "Rise" of the program, most of the wins have been against schools ranked between 50 through the 120's. Plus a few FCS games. We are now moving to schedule that will be top 10 through 70. I don't believe anybody on our conference schedule other than WVU would be ranked lower than 70. Any conference win going forward should be considered a huge win. A stepping stone to where we are going. But they will all be uphill battles against schools that have been recruiting at the P5 level for many years or were at an equal level to us (BYU, Cincy or Houston). Don't take me view as negative, but realistic. If North Dakota State joined the Big 12, should they expect to win the conference? They have been killing it at the FCS level. They probably could have beat us at least once in the last 3 years.

When our P5 recruits have a chance to grow and mature, I expect us to really take off. Would I be surprised if we won early, not really. But I don't think we have the depth along the LOS and at LB to be a true contender. But when our studs develop and we bring in studs behind them as backups, this program is going to be what Scott Frost said, "Something special."

The day is not far off; will we be top 5, I don't know. But the potential is there. Everyone on this board who went to UCF knows this. UCF is special. Our potential is unlimited. Can we achieve it?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT