ADVERTISEMENT

Around The Kingdom: Will UCF Football win more than 7.5 games?

ucf1

Bronze Knight
Gold Member
Dec 17, 2001
Join Eric Lopez and Trace Trylko as they debate some of the current topics surrounding UCF Athletics.

In this episode, the guys talk about the release of Circa Sports win projections for 2024, which has the Knights at 7.5 wins.

However, some pundits still don't think UCF has enough toughness to contend - so what gives?

Also: Softball goes to the Regionals, baseball lacks some buzz, Boise makes an interesting decision, and iconic sports venue.

Thanks for clicking here for this week's Around the Kingdom from the Sons of UCF.

Interesting at 7.5. I think that is about right looking at the schedule. We have some tough games.

Of course, hope we win them all but we will probably never see an undefeated season again.

Reactions: ucf1
I keep coming around to 7 wins, with hopefully better run defense.

The depth at QB is still concerning to me, as this offensive system is really hard on them physically. We should probably have a poll how many games KJ misses. Hopefully, he keeps the helicopter hits that JRP used to take to a minimum.

And I keep thinking we should have added a couple more OL, instead of becoming Defensive Back University.

The depth at QB is still concerning to me, as this offensive system is really hard on them physically. We should probably have a poll how many games KJ misses. Hopefully, he keeps the helicopter hits that JRP used to take to a minimum.

And I keep thinking we should have added a couple more OL, instead of becoming Defensive Back University.
You won't get this reply because you have me on ignore, but the problem is few difference-makers along the offensive front jumped in the spring portal. The ones who did received HUGE NIL deals far beyond what their talent level warranted.

Meanwhile, Gus quietly pieced together the top defensive back room in the Big 12. The Knights ranked 25th in pass defense nationally last season. No other Big 12 program ranked among the top 50 in passing yards allowed.

2023 starters Corey Thornton, Niaki Martinez, and DeJordan Mask have moved on, but I expect more improvement from this position group than any other in 2024, even though it may not show up on the stat sheet.

Last edited:
Reactions: nKharisma and ucf1
"hits that JRP used to take"

JRP playing two sports probably contributed to JRP's pulled hamstring. Those hammies need a rest between sprints.

Backup Qb is an interesting huge question mark for sure.

Jacurri Brown is a ridiculously good plan B and backup QB. We upgraded huge at qb1 & qb2.

Run defense should be way improved. Lots of upgraded depth on the defense from the portal add in Winter/Spring.

I’m marking down 8 wins with a win at UF. Should have won 8 games last year if not for Gus and QB issues.

Reactions: CBlackwellRN

Are the options at QB better than what you knew you'd be getting from Timmy McClain is a question we can only speculate about all summer. TT

"with a win at UF"

I'm pessimistically optimistic we will win if that makes sense. :p

Beating the gators in the swamp would be very historic for the UCF program. Not too many teams have done it.

One good thing is we have a Qb that beat the gators in the swamp last year. That game went into Overtime. Thus, we got that going for us!

I like UCtotheF outlook. Although, I'd prefer more than 8 wins.

New Hampshire
Sam Houston
at TCU
Colorado
at Florida
Cincinatti
at Iowa State
BYU
Arizona
at Arizona State
at West Virginia
Utah

I think the toughest games in order are:

Utah, Arizona, Florida, TCU, Iowa State, West Virginia, BYU, Colorado, Cincinatti, Arizona State, Sam Houston, New Hampshire.

You won't get this reply because you have me on ignore, but the problem is few difference-makers along the offensive front jumped in the spring portal. The ones who did received HUGE NIL deals far beyond what their talent level warranted.

Meanwhile, Gus quietly pieced together the top defensive back room in the Big 12. The Knights ranked 25th in pass defense nationally last season. No other Big 12 program ranked among the top 50 in passing yards allowed.

2023 starters Corey Thornton, Niaki Martinez, and DeJordan Mask have moved on, but I expect more improvement from this position group than any other in 2024, even though it may not show up on the stat sheet.
Interesting points in that last paragraph. May make for a good poll question on Twitter! TT

Reactions: AuburnLegacy_1
"with a win at UF"
With the commitment of Ja'Varrius Johnson, I am officially announcing...

I WILL BE ATTENDING MY FIRST UCF GAME @FLORIDA (Good Lord willing.)

GKCO!!!

fire burn GIF by UCF Knights

The last Auburn game I attended was the 2019 Ole PISS game against John Rhys Plumlee when I watched my fellow Auburn fans, who were pulling for Auburn to lose, walk out of the stadium at halftime with Gus DOMINATING Lane Kitten...

With a half-empty stadium, John Rhys made a game of it before Auburn put them away in at end before a crowd of about 15,000 fans (still a packed house for a Miami game).

Last edited:
Reactions: Central Floridave
Interesting points in that last paragraph. May make for a good poll question on Twitter! TT
I can save you the trouble. :D

UCF's 2024 opponents, including nonconference, averaged 139.11 rush yards and 220.5 passing yards per game in 2023.

If the Knights simply hold each opponent to its 2023 per game average, UCF will rank 43rd nationally in rush defense and 61st in passing yards allowed, per last year's stats.

Good overall for 49th in total defense, nationally.

Last edited:
Thanks for clicking here for the Audio Version of this week's Around the Kingdom.

Are the options at QB better than what you knew you'd be getting from Timmy McClain is a question we can only speculate about all summer. TT
I think Timmy did a decent job last year, has more experience in the system and more game action than Brown. But I like Brown as a better long term upside option, shame we couldn’t have both but that is the way of things these days….. very few teams have a guy like Sean Bean at KU who just tore us up as a career backup.

Reactions: nKharisma and ucf1
I think Timmy did a decent job last year, has more experience in the system and more game action than Brown. But I like Brown as a better long term upside option, shame we couldn’t have both but that is the way of things these days….. very few teams have a guy like Sean Bean at KU who just tore us up as a career backup.
How many QBs on today's roster participate in spring practice?! Are on the roster a year from now?! TT

defense was a major, the biggest, problem last year. I'd say beef up the defensive line BIGGLY!

8-4
Utah, Florida and Arizona bring back a lot of firepower, no shame in losses there, WVU will be difficult in Morgantown.
But I think we play in the Pop Tart bowl in Orlando.

Reactions: CBlackwellRN
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT