ADVERTISEMENT

Article on Becktondict Arnold

[laughing]
“What’s that?” he asked Ruud.

“What’s what?”

“That?” Beckton said, pointing to an ice scraper.

“He thought someone left a brush or something,” Ruud said. “He’s as Floridian as they come.”

He's a good guy but I'm still a little skeptical of the want to be a Head Coach excuse. If that is true wouldn't it have been smarter to move on at a younger age? An example is what now Temple HC Collins, he was an assistant at UCF, Mississippi State, and then UF.

Reactions: Mikesi
He's a good guy but I'm still a little skeptical of the want to be a Head Coach excuse. If that is true wouldn't it have been smarter to move on at a younger age? An example is what now Temple HC Collins, he was an assistant at UCF, Mississippi State, and then UF.

Some are slow to grasp this. Who knows? He might have thought about this for years.

Probably the consistency of the GOL era made him comfortable with where he was. Once there was uncertainty this year, probably for the first time in 14 years, he realized that moving up the ladder would give him more stability.

I could have swore he was the one who tweeted out something suggesting there was something more to the story, which wouldnt line up with wanting to move up the ladder. Never did find out what the real reason was he left.

Reactions: tribbleorlfl
Probably the consistency of the GOL era made him comfortable with where he was. Once there was uncertainty this year, probably for the first time in 14 years, he realized that moving up the ladder would give him more stability.
yeah I'm just surprised he didn't move sooner under GOL

I remember after Frost was hired there was a Sentinel article where Beckton is quoted that he was aware and had contact with a lot of the recruits but wouldn't get the green light to offer them under the old staff. Specifically Killins and Bam Moore were 2 of them. He has great relationships throughout Central Florida and Jacksonville, N doesn't get that number of Florida commits this cycle without Beckton bc I think Fisher underachieves as a recruiter.

Reactions: firm_bizzle
From the article:
Ruud called Beckton, too. Ruud’s wife called Beckton’s wife to play up Lincoln and explained where they could live and the quality of life.

Yet he didn't know what an ice scraper was or how dire the need for a snow shovel/blower was. I suspect details on the "quality of life" were left out :)

Reactions: Mikesi and JAFFX2
From the article:

Yet he didn't know what an ice scraper was or how dire the need for a snow shovel/blower was. I suspect details on the "quality of life" were left out :)
Snow is foreign for someone from Orlando, but so is: “We are a community of almost 300,000 people that had no homicides on record for 2017, and only five shootings with injury,” from the LJS

Now let’s compare populations and reevaluate the stats per capita.*
already did Orlando metro is 7.3 times larger than the Lincoln Metro simple math here 7.3x11 = 80.3

Omaha which is ~30minutes north of lincoln has ~915k and had 31 homicides Orlando is 2.6x larger and the numbers worked out to 80.8 for 2016 when adjusted to equate to Orlando in population

Last edited:
Well people can only go outside half the year in Lincoln so is that factored in?
Why would people only go outside half the year? it is only "cold" 3 months and of those 3 months it is only actually cold (sub zero) a few days maybe weeks. It doesnt stop people from throwing parties, it doesnt stop people from going out to dinner, it doesnt stop people from going to movies or concerts etc..

One could make the argument Summers are worse when it is too hot. I remember not too long ago july and august being 100 or above all but a few days. Id much rather be in 20 degree weather.

Reactions: Land Shark7
Why would people only go outside half the year? it is only "cold" 3 months and of those 3 months it is only actually cold (sub zero) a few days maybe weeks. It doesnt stop people from throwing parties, it doesnt stop people from going out to dinner, it doesnt stop people from going to movies or concerts etc..

One could make the argument Summers are worse when it is too hot. I remember not too long ago july and august being 100 or above all but a few days. Id much rather be in 20 degree weather.
Why would people stay on a UCF message board when they are Nebraska Fans? No one wants you here.

Yet you only defend Nebraska in your posts. Go Away.
That isnt true. I spent time earlier today arguing with Honors because he seems to think Paying players wouldnt hurt UCF (it would) while it wouldnt hurt Nebraska. So your wrong there bub.

That isnt true. I spent time earlier today arguing with Honors because he seems to think Paying players wouldnt hurt UCF (it would) while it wouldnt hurt Nebraska. So your wrong there bub.
You’re full of crap. You have no friends here and you’re clearly not a UCF fan. Who wants to discuss any topic with this bum? Nebraska sucks. Get a job and a life

Something is really messed up in your corn kernel sized brain when 90-95% of your posts are getting a complete smackdown and you keep coming back for more 24/7. You and Blacksh_ts Forever have such envy and jealousy that it’s so pathetically obvious

[laughing]
“What’s that?” he asked Ruud.

“What’s what?”

“That?” Beckton said, pointing to an ice scraper.

“He thought someone left a brush or something,” Ruud said. “He’s as Floridian as they come.”

He must have been as dumb as a brick when he was in Chicago, as a Bear for a short time. (just a joke)

On a more serious note, I just wonder why he didn't rise up faster. With his great connections, why hasn't he been named a "rising assistant to keep your eyes on" nationally (maybe he has and I probably didn't notice?) I just wonder if he has limitations that keeps him on an assistant level (and there's nothing wrong with being a great position coach and recruiter- have to say this or morons on here will accuse me of insulting him), and he lacks what other OC or HC have? I still think he screwed us over, but if the school isn't willing to seriously give him a shot at OC, then going elsewhere is probably a better option, after all, he's been let go at UCF by O'Leary in the past, so I can see the pull of going somewhere with someone that wants to keep you. I just wonder if the ex-HC is jerking him around, using him for his recruiting ability, and never really thinking of helping him advance. Everyone says the ex-OC never did any play-calling so maybe this HC isn't the one to be under for advancement?

Reactions: Mikesi
On a more serious note, I just wonder why he didn't rise up faster. With his great connections, why hasn't he been named a "rising assistant to keep your eyes on" nationally (maybe he has and I probably didn't notice?) I just wonder if he has limitations that keeps him on an assistant level (and there's nothing wrong with being a great position coach and recruiter- have to say this or morons on here will accuse me of insulting him), and he lacks what other OC or HC have? I still think he screwed us over, but if the school isn't willing to seriously give him a shot at OC, then going elsewhere is probably a better option, after all, he's been let go at UCF by O'Leary in the past, so I can see the pull of going somewhere with someone that wants to keep you. I just wonder if the ex-HC is jerking him around, using him for his recruiting ability, and never really thinking of helping him advance. Everyone says the ex-OC never did any play-calling so maybe this HC isn't the one to be under for advancement?
100% agree

1) He screwed us over
2) He’s not OC or Head Coaching material
3) Frost is using him as his pawn

It’s pretty obvious that Frost is the guy at Nobraska, Walters is second on offense and Beckton is being used

If Frost is successful at Nobraska it’s because he’s in charge and calling the plays. Walters will be his right hand man and Walters may get another job somewhere else as an OC or lower tier HC. Then MAYBE Beckton is the next man uo. It could be years before he gets a gig as an OC (maybe Nobraska as a figurehead) let alone a HC.

If Frost fails, Beckton is part of that, done at Nobraska and probably not welcome back to UCF. He can come back to Florida for another school with a similar position as he was at UCF. Complete 360

100% agree

1) He screwed us over
2) He’s not OC or Head Coaching material
3) Frost is using him as his pawn

It’s pretty obvious that Frost is the guy at Nobraska, Walters is second on offense and Beckton is being used

If Frost is successful at Nobraska it’s because he’s in charge and calling the plays. Walters will be his right hand man and Walters may get another job somewhere else as an OC or lower tier HC. Then MAYBE Beckton is the next man uo. It could be years before he gets a gig as an OC (maybe Nobraska as a figurehead) let alone a HC.

If Frost fails, Beckton is part of that, done at Nobraska and probably not welcome back to UCF. He can come back to Florida for another school with a similar position as he was at UCF. Complete 360
I disagree about not welcoming Beck back. I was one of the many that sent DW and Frost an email stating that letting Beck go when putting together Frost's coaching staff would be stupid. When Frost fails Beck will be welcomed back.

I disagree about not welcoming Beck back. I was one of the many that sent DW and Frost an email stating that letting Beck go when putting together Frost's coaching staff would be stupid. When Frost fails Beck will be welcomed back.
Sounds like he went on his own as he was offered a similar salary at UCF if you include no state taxes. Also, there is the story in the Omaha newspaper or whatever it is confirming that

As far as keeping him around for the transition from GOL to Frost, that’s one thing. Now he has left UCF, left us without any coaches or recruiting ties. Additionally, he was instrumental in stealing at least 1-2 recruits and after the steal he “liked” the Twitter page of those flipped recruits when they decomitted to throw it in the face of UCF and it’s fans

That was a pretty classless move IMO. It wasn’t 100% necessary to do that so quickly after leaving UCF.

I’m a little skeptical if he’s welcomed back. Depends on the HC and AD at UCF

Perhaps Stetson, Bethune Cookman or Jacksonville University......

:stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Heupel took a while to assemble a staff. DW gave him Shannon who did half the work. Huepel just seemed to slow walk the process, both with Walters and Beckton.

Really? Which city was it that had a mass killing in a gay bar by a religious zealot recently?
Using a national tragedy to try and win an argument on a message board? I value my soul a little higher, but to each his own.

Maybe we can talk about who has the better pizza Chicago or NY and if Chicago starts losing we can pull out that 9/11 trump card.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT