ADVERTISEMENT

Article on UConn game after charting every play

Good job! Do you have any idea how many of Milton's runs were because of his option reads and how many were designed QB runs?

Great job; you need to burn these articles after every week so other teams can't analyze your work when their games come up :)

Like you three main things I noticed were: the tackling or lack there of; the low number of passes to the TE compared to when we had Akins and the WRs out wide. I'm really impressed with how both our QBs can whip the ball out wide on short routes to these receivers spread way out. It does put a lot of pressure on the D.

Everything else looked UCFast and like last season very good, even better.

Reactions: Money_Milton
As always, interesting read. Great work!

Any idea how long Milton had to throw the ball? If I recall, he was able to sit back there for long stretches of time with only 1 guy (at most) penetrating.

As always, interesting read. Great work!

Any idea how long Milton had to throw the ball? If I recall, he was able to sit back there for long stretches of time with only 1 guy (at most) penetrating.
Plan on doing release time. Been away for Labor Day so haven’t gotten to it yey

Cliff notes:

Was very happy with the offense

Tackling/secondary needs to be a bit better

The D Line was great

I have a lot more info if you have any questions in particular

http://power6analytics.com/breaking-down-ucfs-win-over-uconn-using-advanced-stats-and-analytics/
Shannon has to get off his arse and step up.
UConn had 73 plays that were either a completion or a run. On those 73 plays, UCF had 28 missed tackles that resulted in a total of 127 extra yards gained.

UConn had 73 plays that were either a completion or a run. On those 73 plays, UCF had 28 missed tackles that resulted in a total of 127 extra yards gained.
Don’t forget that UConn had FORTY minutes of possession. It doesn’t explain the early game tackling issues but does say something that a team had the ball for that long and only managed 17 points.

Reactions: Knight Strength
UConn had 73 plays that were either a completion or a run.
I hope people don't blame Shannon for the sheer number of plays executed, because our offense isn't on the field long. Even if they weren't getting 1st downs, expect opposing offenses to run at least as many plays as us.

May teams will be trying to 'keep up' and otherwise run a lot of plays, with 2x the ToP. Now that said ...

On those 73 plays, UCF had 28 missed tackles that resulted in a total of 127 extra yards gained.
^ Yes, this is the bigger concern. At the same time, it was the scrambling QB in a lot of cases.

If the AAC is looking like the crap it is as of late, UConn -- if that QB is really a good, scrambling QB -- could challenge Cincy and USF for #2 in the East.

As always ... we'll see.

I hope people don't blame Shannon for the sheer number of plays executed, because our offense isn't on the field long. Even if they weren't getting 1st downs, expect opposing offenses to run at least as many plays as us.

May teams will be trying to 'keep up' and otherwise run a lot of plays, with 2x the ToP. Now that said ...

^ Yes, this is the bigger concern. At the same time, it was the scrambling QB in a lot of cases.

If the AAC is looking like the crap it is as of late, UConn -- if that QB is really a good, scrambling QB -- could challenge Cincy and USF for #2 in the East.

As always ... we'll see.
Yes, the offense isn’t going to be helping out the defense much, but double digit play drives like UConn had numerous times is on the defense.

Pindell was the rusher on a decent amount of missed tackles, but it’s not an excuse to miss that man my tackles.

UConn isn’t coming close to challenging anything in the AAC

Reactions: UCFBS
In any case, absolutely outstanding analysis of the metrics.
I love this stuff and always read everything -- you speak my language.

In any case, absolutely outstanding analysis of the metrics.
I love this stuff and always read everything -- you speak my language.
I appreciate it ! Plan on doing much more on opponents once we get passed SC St and continue to do game by game recaps as well as season stats so I appreciate the positive feedback. Hopefully you don’t get sick of it lol

One important stat not on the web link is: Zero Offensive Penalties.
Great thing obviously and a huge part of winning, but am really trying to give information that you can't get from a box score or espn or something like that.

Not knocking your comment because that is critical in close games, just really explaining why I didn't mention it.

However if they did have a lot of penalties, I might look at the field position and yardage and effect it had on drives.

One important stat not on the web link is: Zero Offensive Penalties.
False.

We had a delay of game ! (Intentionally when trying to draw off the D).

Really was amazing that we didn’t have any false starts or anything. That was a drive killer with Frost in his first year. That and Milton overthrowing guys on screens.

Good job! Do you have any idea how many of Milton's runs were because of his option reads and how many were designed QB runs?
So Milton had 7 rush attempts, one of them was a scramble and the other 6 I charted as read options. I don't think we'll ever see a designed QB draw unless it's out of an empty backfield. No reason to not at least make the defensive end make a read on the RB. Also has 3 of the 7 charted as RPO's more of an opinion call because it's so hard to tell from just watching the games if there is definitely a passing option or not.

5 out of his 7 runs were successful plays, limit the attempts but keep them effective is what I'd love to see especially with him coming up limping a couple of times.

Something we haven’t discussed yet is special teams. Do you track any of that?

Would be curious to see how many times we fairncatch the ball (and if we don’t, where are we running it back from).

I feel like our coverage was giving up big chunks of yards and our returners didn’t get much of a chance to do anything.

So Milton had 7 rush attempts, one of them was a scramble and the other 6 I charted as read options. I don't think we'll ever see a designed QB draw unless it's out of an empty backfield. No reason to not at least make the defensive end make a read on the RB. Also has 3 of the 7 charted as RPO's more of an opinion call because it's so hard to tell from just watching the games if there is definitely a passing option or not.

5 out of his 7 runs were successful plays, limit the attempts but keep them effective is what I'd love to see especially with him coming up limping a couple of times.
Thanks so much!

I was getting frustrated during the game with him running so much, especially against a team like UCONN. Yesterday, I was listening to a podcast and they were complaining about "designed runs" as well, that's when I realized that I was wrong initially and his runs were probably him making reads on the DE and taking what the defense gives him. That's just how this offense works in regards to the run game.

I actually thought Milton did a better job of giving himself up after a run. Last year he was more prone to go head first.

Thanks again.

Thanks so much!

I was getting frustrated during the game with him running so much, especially against a team like UCONN. Yesterday, I was listening to a podcast and they were complaining about "designed runs" as well, that's when I realized that I was wrong initially and his runs were probably him making reads on the DE and taking what the defense gives him. That's just how this offense works in regards to the run game.

I actually thought Milton did a better job of giving himself up after a run. Last year he was more prone to go head first.

Thanks again.
Yeah, I mean it suckes to see him come up limping, but you can't take that part of his game away. He's such a good runner and decision maker that it's very effective. He's gotten much better at scrambling less and giving himself up more.

Something we haven’t discussed yet is special teams. Do you track any of that?

Would be curious to see how many times we fairncatch the ball (and if we don’t, where are we running it back from).

I feel like our coverage was giving up big chunks of yards and our returners didn’t get much of a chance to do anything.
I don't... think the kicking game, both kickoffs and punts pretty much come down to hang time. With the new kickoff rules it might take the coverage team a couple games to adjust as well

I don't... think the kicking game, both kickoffs and punts pretty much come down to hang time. With the new kickoff rules it might take the coverage team a couple games to adjust as well
I think you’re right that hang time is a definite factor. I also wonder if the coverage team got a little spooked by Robinson’s injury (rightfully so) and were not able to go at it 100%.

Reactions: Money_Milton
Yeah, I mean it suckes to see him come up limping, but you can't take that part of his game away. He's such a good runner and decision maker that it's very effective. He's gotten much better at scrambling less and giving himself up more.
Agreed - it’s a part of his identity as a player and that’s that.

I also feel like he’s more likely to get hurt if he rarely makes any runs then, all of a sudden, he’s expected to because it’s a key play or game.

Agreed - it’s a part of his identity as a player and that’s that.

I also feel like he’s more likely to get hurt if he rarely makes any runs then, all of a sudden, he’s expected to because it’s a key play or game.
Milton took some huge hits last season and always bounced up. Took some big ones as a frosh when the line was not very good. Knock on wood, but for a smaller kid, he can take some hits.

I'm not worried about him running at all. Also, he hasn't been tackled since the Auburn game.

Pro football focus gave UCF a tackling grade of 36 against UConn. Last season they only had 2 games lower.. Memphis the second time at 34.9 and SMU at 34. Auburn was actually their best tackling game of the season last year
What's the top grade?

I believe it’s out of 100.00 but I don’t think I’ve ever seen a score that High. 70s is considered above average, 80s really good 90s is exceptional. Against auburn they were a 77.4
Oh dear. They need some improvement. The UCF D in the peachbowl was nothing like we had seen all year.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT