ADVERTISEMENT

ARTICLE: UCF Knights Fans Need to Temper Their Expectations for 2024

ucf1

Bronze Knight
Gold Member
Dec 17, 2001
Okay, I realize that this may not be a popular column. It’s not going to be all puppy dogs and rainbows, but stick with me until the end and keep an open mind.

Click here to read more from Brian W. Peterson ... for the Sons of UCF.

Agreed, and I think the most likely record is 7-5. That assumes Jefferson is who we think he is and doesn’t miss more than 1 game. If he is who we think he is and misses no time, 8-4 is a distinct possibility.

Both scenarios assume our defensive personnel, scheme, and game- by-game strategy is that of a top 50 defense.

Reactions: Yaes
Okay, I realize that this may not be a popular column. It’s not going to be all puppy dogs and rainbows, but stick with me until the end and keep an open mind.

Click here to read more from Brian W. Peterson ... for the Sons of UCF.

"Defense is still a HUGE question mark, offensive pieces gelling takes time and Gus STILL has the clipboard."

No. 1, Every national championship-winning program since Florida State 2013 has returned at least three of the four components: the head coach, offensive coordinator, defensive coordinator, and/or quarterback. UCF retained both its coordinators and its head coach--and upgraded at quarterback.

Advantage UCF.

No. 2, Defense is a question mark, specifically the pass defense, where UCF must replace every 2021 and 2022 starter, save part-timers Quadric Bullard and Brandon Adams, Bullard, Adams, Demari Henderson, and Braeden Marshall all started at times in 2023, but the secondary is going to be revamped overall. The defensive front should be among the best units in the Big 12, but will need to bring pressure (Chinese Fire Drill) to influence quarterbacks. Hence, the secondary will be tested often.

Disadvantage UCF

No. 3: It does take a few weeks for Gus to work out the kinks of the offense. Fortunately, UCF opens with two warm ups and a tough road game, followed by an off week to regroup and self scout.

Advantage UCF

No. 4: Having followed his career for more than a decade, I assure you Gus "officially" having the clipboard is a great thing. Gus only takes the reigns back when he knows the offense is going to on point. He has 'scapegoat' OC's when uncertainty exists, which is obviously not the case here.

Advantage UCF

"... we never heard Coach Frost, or even Coach Heupel, say that we’re expecting a big season. They were always quick to temper expectations and talk about how the team will need to play well."

aceb04d0-07d7-4411-ab28-d6dee9dca0af_text.gif

Advantage UCF

I expect there will be no 0 in the win loss total. so no 0-12, 12-0, 2-10, 10-2. everything else is on the table.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT