ADVERTISEMENT

Awkward exchange with Pittsburgh reporter and Josh Heupel

Brandon

Publisher
Staff
May 28, 2001
Winter Park, FL
www.ucfsports.com

Just had the opportunity to listen to Monday's American media teleconference with Josh Heupel. This is recorded immediately after Heupel does the regular weekly press conference at UCF.

Pittsburgh Tribune-Review Pitt beat writer Jerry DiPaola had the first series of questions and seemed to know absolutely nothing about UCF or Josh Heupel.

His first question, in a slightly condescending manner, asked Heupel whether it was "appropriate" to put McKenzie's name in the Heisman discussion. In his response, Heupel mentions that he's absolutely worthy of being in the Heisman discussion, mentioning he's worked with Heisman Trophy winners in the past.

DiPaola: "You worked with Heisman guys?! Who are they?"

Heupel curtly answered, "Sam Bradford and Jason White."

Then he asked Heupel to explain his recruiting pitch in convincing McKenzie to leave Hawaii and play at UCF.

Heupel: "I was not involved in that. That was the previous staff."

DiPaola: "Oh, that was before your time?"

Heupel: "Yep."

Which brings up a media pet peeve I've noticed this week - all the questions about UCF "playing a big-time Power Five school" like Pittsburgh. Chris Vannini of The Athletic asked this same question two different ways in this teleconference and one of the local TV guys was asking that question at the press conference yesterday. I know Dan Marino and Tony Dorsett played at Pitt back in the day, but come on. If we've learned anything over the past couple years there isn't really a difference between the American as a whole and the mid-to-lower tier P5s. Pitt is frankly lucky to be in a revenue conference. I just don't understand why some people continue to bring up the underdog vs. mighty P5 narrative here when it's UCF on the 16-game winning streak and ranked in the top 15.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News