ADVERTISEMENT

Basketball playing well

Good win. Houston is in the 60 RPI range. Maybe Uconn was an anomaly and based on their performances against Temple and Georgetown, not a bad loss.

how did we rebound from that turd of a performance at Uconn?
Any or all of the following:
1. Dawkins and staff had a full week to prepare for Houston as well as make a mid-season correction.
2. Good ol' fashion home cooking and a decent crowd with a lot of students there.
3. Shared the ball playing like a team so opponent was punished when they tried to shut down one or two players.
But it wasn't for lack of effort or game plan by a great opponent with a top coach on top of their game.
It was like witnessing a Rocky movie: neither side gave an inch the entire game! One for the ages.

Reactions: Stormthecourt?
It's called coaching. We are actually able to improve week to week now.
Right, but even Dawkins wasn't sure how the team would react to two bad games. It was especially challenging to change the entire mindset of such a senior squad and keep them bought into his system in the face of adversity.

We actually hit baskets FG% .568 3FG% .350 FT% .769.
UCONN Game FG% .333 3FG% .429 FT% .353.

Matt Williams coming out hot 3/3 for 8 points sure helped us as well.

Did anyone else think Tacko needed to get his hands up? I felt like there was a a few floaters that he could of deflected if his hands were up.

It's called coaching. We are actually able to improve week to week now.

So was it BAD coaching the previous 2 games when UCF played poorly?

Coaches look good when their shots are falling and opposition does not...while if their team shoots goose eggs, then they look bad.

Basketball...pretty simple game when players make shots.

We actually hit baskets FG% .568 3FG% .350 FT% .769.
UCONN Game FG% .333 3FG% .429 FT% .353.

Matt Williams coming out hot 3/3 for 8 points sure helped us as well.

Did anyone else think Tacko needed to get his hands up? I felt like there was a a few floaters that he could of deflected if his hands were up.
Their super guard (#2 in AAC) did exactly what the UConn analyst had said to do with a big man: drive right up to his chest! then a center can't react quick enough to floaters or passes under the basket to teammates! I'm sure Dawkins' crew will show him how to deal with such tactics.

Tacko has struggled against bigger athletic centers. Houston started 4 guards and a forward and didn't have the same defensive presence. I like our chances against those kind of teams.

Tacko has struggled against bigger athletic centers. Houston started 4 guards and a forward and didn't have the same defensive presence. I like our chances against those kind of teams.
Funny because last year, he was blown off the court by teams like Houston. One game, Donnie didn't even dare play him. A few others, he was just keep up with the pace of the game. Yesterday, he was beating half the team up court.

As far as the bigger centers, it's more the craftier, senior centers (who were also quite athletic) that shut him down recently. He had little problem early in the season against even taller, clunkier, or less experienced big men. Also, the book on UCF is now to bottle up Tacko with lots of bodies and force our less dominant players beat them, which is also why his offensive rebounding has fallen dramatically: he can't move. IF YOU DON'T COLLAPSE ON HIM, UCF WILL BEAT ANYONE BY 20+.

The key is to take him out early. ECU center blocked Tacko a couple times early on and it was curtains for him offensively. He is not used to playing against big men that aren't completely overmatched by his size.

But he's still going pro after this season!
(Rolls eyes)
Yes, right after we make the final four this spring. Hope you get a chance getting to his games next year in the NBA. You certainly haven't bothered to show for this season's.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT