ADVERTISEMENT

Best Sci Fi show on TV: The Expanse

I've been reading and loving the book series and have enjoyed the tv adaptation! I don't have cable so I get to wait to watch until it comes to Amazon Prime for free.

Reactions: UCFWayne
Space: 1999, first season. Best sci-fi show ever, IMO. Although I'll check out the Expanse as well...

(Honorable mention to the re-imagined BSG though)

I've heard the Expanse is good. I'm trying to get into it. I finished episode 1 and I'm struggling to turn it back on.

If you haven't watched "The Good Place", now that is a good show that gets you hooked quickly.

It also has lots of Blake Bortles references, so as UCF fans we are obligated to watch.

Reactions: USFSucks
I could but i don't have time to monkey with that stuff like I once did. I've gotten to the point where i'll just buy it or wait.
terrarium is a little work to set up but super easy to use. kodi isnt too bad, but where you get the content is constantly changing so its a pita to work over time.

did you watch any of the previous seasons? i know its only 1 episode in but so far 3 looks to be just as good as the previous.

Space: 1999, first season. Best sci-fi show ever, IMO. Although I'll check out the Expanse as well...

(Honorable mention to the re-imagined BSG though)
I've heard the Expanse is good. I'm trying to get into it. I finished episode 1 and I'm struggling to turn it back on.

If you haven't watched "The Good Place", now that is a good show that gets you hooked quickly.

It also has lots of Blake Bortles references, so as UCF fans we are obligated to watch.
BSG reboot was amazing. aside from parts of the last 2 seasons. that had more to do with the writer strike than anything and scifi wanting them to make the series stretch on for years instead of ending when they wanted.

id say the expanse is not quite as good, but is in the same realm of quality.

Yeah, gotta DVR that one. Looks good, and I've heard good stuff. Been busy with Marvel Agents of Shield, Silicon Valley, and The Terror (badass new show btw).

Yeah, gotta DVR that one. Looks good, and I've heard good stuff. Been busy with Marvel Agents of Shield, Silicon Valley, and The Terror (badass new show btw).
first off welcome to the forum. so is the terror a mini series or a full blown new show? it looked interesting. i will probably binge watch it

BSG reboot was amazing. aside from parts of the last 2 seasons. that had more to do with the writer strike than anything and scifi wanting them to make the series stretch on for years instead of ending when they wanted.

id say the expanse is not quite as good, but is in the same realm of quality.

I think the entire destroyed Earth was a ballsy touch but the entire final five and the starbuck destiny with the real earth was shoddily done - and don't get me started on the entire "give up technology bs" only a few episodes after the entire fleet was fighting over galacticas spare parts.

If they really wanted to do it right - and if they really wanted to encompass the idea of infinity (all of this has happened before and will happen again) they would have returned to kobol or the colonies at the end to try to co-exist together.

I think the entire destroyed Earth was a ballsy touch but the entire final five and the starbuck destiny with the real earth was shoddily done - and don't get me started on the entire "give up technology bs" only a few episodes after the entire fleet was fighting over galacticas spare parts.

If they really wanted to do it right - and if they really wanted to encompass the idea of infinity (all of this has happened before and will happen again) they would have returned to kobol or the colonies at the end to try to co-exist together.
scifi execs got too involved. they wanted more standalone episodes. that is why season 3 was so weird at times. they also wanted the series to be like 8 plus seasons. the writers only wanted 4 or 5.

so instead of spacing it out and doing what they wanted they rushed it. its too bad considering how good the mini series, series, and pegasus movie were

Reactions: thespiritof1976
terrarium is a little work to set up but super easy to use. kodi isnt too bad, but where you get the content is constantly changing so its a pita to work over time.

did you watch any of the previous seasons? i know its only 1 episode in but so far 3 looks to be just as good as the previous.
Yeah I used this stuff when it was XBMC and I don't think I ever had that running consistently well. It was a pain in the ass to setup and maintain. No interest in that when I can just buy something that works well enough.

The Terror is a new show. So far there's just one season, with 10 episodes. I got into it because Ridley Scott was directing. It's got a good horror vibe going on, where it makes due mostly with what you don't see than with what you do.

It's based on a historical real life event in the 1840s where England sent a crew aboard two ice breaker ships to navigate through and find the northwest passage. In the actual historical event, the crew get trapped in ice north of Nunavut and eventually perish. The book/show changes some events up, and also adds a monster. So far it's been really good.

Is Season 2 streaming for free on some provider?
I've only been through Season 1 so far.

I have a couple of nitpicks with it, but damn, it was very, very original in most respects.
Well outside the scifi norm, which is refreshing.

Is Season 2 streaming for free on some provider?
I've only been through Season 1 so far.

I have a couple of nitpicks with it, but damn, it was very, very original in most respects.
Well outside the scifi norm, which is refreshing.
season 2 is on amazon prime just finished it a few weeks ago.

Reactions: UCFBS
i think season 1 and 2 are both on amazon prime
I just checked a couple of weeks ago. So it must because season 3 is now airing, that 2 is now available. So I'll check again this weekend. Thanx!

season 2 is on amazon prime just finished it a few weeks ago.
Thanx for confirming.

Now that I have satellite again (because of 1/6Mbps VDSL), I need to queue up recording Season 3 as well.

It's a really good show, but you have to make it through the first few episodes. Then the show really picks up the pace.

If you want a good show, Hulu just released The Looming Tower. All about the CIA and FBI leading up to 9/11 and what a shit show it was. Really good.

For those interested in getting started with the Expanse on Prime:

Tip: Turn on subtitles. The "Belters" talk with an accent and occasionally use made-up words, and sometimes the enunciation in general isn't great. Early on in the series, there's a lot to digest and understand regarding the back story. Someone suggested subtitles to me which I appreciated because it did come in handy, especially when you are trying to keep names of stations, ships and people straight.

I've only finished the first season. I'd call it "good" but not "great" (at least not yet). You do need to give it time, the first few episodes are a little bit chaotic with a lot of converging storylines and characters.

I'll probably start watching season two soon which I noticed was just added to Prime.

Saw a Battlestar Gallactica reboot mention - might be my favorite series of all-time, at least top 3. I watched in on Netflix DVD before streaming was a thing, and "binge-watched" those DVDs as fast as they could come in the mail.

P.S. I'm fully aware of how unruly the WC has become so I'll be keeping a watchful from now on.

Tip: Turn on subtitles. The "Belters" talk with an accent and occasionally use made-up words, and sometimes the enunciation in general isn't great. Early on in the series, there's a lot to digest and understand regarding the back story. Someone suggested subtitles to me which I appreciated because it did come in handy, especially when you are trying to keep names of stations, ships and people straight.

I've only finished the first season. I'd call it "good" but not "great" (at least not yet). You do need to give it time, the first few episodes are a little bit chaotic with a lot of converging storylines and characters.

I'll probably start watching season two soon which I noticed was just added to Prime.

Saw a Battlestar Gallactica reboot mention - might be my favorite series of all-time, at least top 3. I watched in on Netflix DVD before streaming was a thing, and "binge-watched" those DVDs as fast as they could come in the mail.

P.S. I'm fully aware of how unruly the WC has become so I'll be keeping a watchful from now on.

I know I mentioned above but Space 1999 was the spiritual precursor and inspiration for much of the re-imagined BSG, from the rapid fire "preview" scenes in the intro to the solemn and darkish tone. Season 2 wasn't bad - but sure as hell wasn't good either.

A reboot called "Space 2099" was going to come out a few years ago but it was thankfully shelved. Sure, having the moon blast out of Earths orbit was a novel idea in 1975 but today ? I don't think it was worth bringing back.

Now UFO ? That is a show worth re-booting.

season 2 it really starts to take off. its not as good as bsg, but the quality in production is on par.

i cant wait for the rest of season 3 an all out war.

i know its big book series and from friends that have read it, they say its going to get better.

I'm now finished with Episode 3 of Season 2. Okay, I'm hooked again. I take a few issues with the physics at times, but at least they're trying.

I just did the first two episodes. Pretty good if not a bit slow. I enjoyed the lack of gravity sex scene which I think is a first.

Brandon is right- it’s hard to hear or understand sometimes. I think it’s more of a fault with production. In some conversations I have to crank the sound to hear only to be blown away by the next loud noise. The mix is off.

On a different note- The Crossing on ABC is surprisingly good so far. It’s from the creators of LOST and one of the rare unique network shows to come out recently.

Just finished Season 2 Episode 11. I have my nitpicks, but I don't like a lot of Sci-Fi lately because of Sci-Fi'isms that are far from science. This show at least attempts to get much of physics correct, although doesn't always showcase everything absolutely accurately (but I can forgive a few things).

I've been reading and loving the book series and have enjoyed the tv adaptation! I don't have cable so I get to wait to watch until it comes to Amazon Prime for free.

Your timing is impeccable. I need some good books to read and have been reading Jack Reacher books to fill space between good books. Is The Expanse book series as good as the Red Rising series? Do yo have any other recommendations?

Your timing is impeccable. I need some good books to read and have been reading Jack Reacher books to fill space between good books. Is The Expanse book series as good as the Red Rising series? Do yo have any other recommendations?
I don't know if it as good as Red Rising but I am enjoying it. It is long and sometimes drawn out but I keep flipping.

are the books and the tv show pretty close to each other, or do they vary quite a bit?
I want to say they follow them pretty close. I couldn't remember the first book all that well, though, when I watched it. It seems like the end of the first book and beginning of the second book blended together during season 2. They've fit in a couple of the novellas as well that I've read too.

What else has the UN Indian woman been in?

At first I thought it was Catelyn Stark in makeup or something. She sounds like a deeper voiced version of that actress.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT