ADVERTISEMENT

Bianchi is Right!

I'm still not seeing enough good and valid reasons to not have this game on Black Friday. I was super excited to hear this and still am. Nobody likes Saturday noon games and that's the most likely alternative.

Last edited:
The number of yearly Saturday Night Primetime slots that ESPN or ESPN2 give to the AAC are so few and far between, especially when they can easily grab almost any SEC, ACC, Big Ten, Big 12, etc...game.

"force some cookie cutter rivalry down our throats"?

Wouldn't that be any team NOT NAMED usf?

The cows were rivals WELL before the teams actually played their first games...and are more of a rival than any other AAC team.

You are completely missing the point. I agree it is THE rivalry for both teams, but why does our game have to be a cookie cutter place on "rivalry weekend"?

Because no matter when it's played people will either show up or not. People not fans of the teams won't watch anyway so a Friday Night works for me.
This is not correct. Students are not going to show up in numbers for a black Friday game as they would for a Saturday night in September or October. That is just a fact. And many non-students will have the same conflict. So why take a game that would ordinarily have a mass turn-out and place it on a day when it will be questionable? I live out of state I have had many people tell me about watching UCF on TV. Especially Thursday night games. We got more exposure playing on Thursdays than any other day. Why? because we are not competing against every other program for ratings. Why would you want to put this game up against all the other games on rivalry weekend?

Reactions: Poolside Knight
Because no matter when it's played people will either show up or not. People not fans of the teams won't watch anyway so a Friday Night works for me.
Absolutely. The season has been long over for most teams by that point, so the rivalry week is perfect. This year, it was specially interesting because both schools were bowling. UCF is light years away from every other AAC team (even ECU). That's why the AAC is almost as bad travel-wise for UCF as it was when we were in the polar MAC. Our opponents are in the Southwest, Midwest, and Northeast. Oops, I forgot our rivalry game with UConn.

This is in response to SCKnight. ....So you're telling me when you scroll through tv on a Thursday night and you see New Mexico vs UTSA you will watch? I don't. I need to actually care who wins for me to watch it or it be a high caliber game. UCF v USF is not that for most people no matter when it is played.

Agreed. Let me repeat, unless you're for the conference ending their season on rivalry week, a game has to be played...rivalry or not. Put it this way, if we play ECU or some other school designated for rivalry week, we still risk a bad attendance. Is that a tolerable excuse - for the sake of protecting our "natural rivalry" and because its better scheduling it on another Friday during the season and on TV versus the Home and Garden network?*** There's many ways of maintaining a rivalry and consistency is one of them...meaning continuing to schedule this game on Black Friday. It has the opportunity to pay off. Scheduling nothing risks students assuming the environment on campus during Thanksgiving weekend will always be like this.

We got more exposure playing on Thursdays than any other day. Why? because we are not competing against every other program for ratings. Why would you want to put this game up against all the other games on rivalry weekend?

On Friday, we are not "going up against all the other games on rivalry weekend." Most rivalry games are played on Saturday with a few on Thursday. The Friday time slot on rivalry weekend is the best option for the game.

On Friday, we are not "going up against all the other games on rivalry weekend." Most rivalry games are played on Saturday with a few on Thursday. The Friday time slot on rivalry weekend is the best option for the game.

Correct...as here was this past year's Saturday of Thanksgiving Weekend Schedule, which included these games:

UVA vs Va Tech
Michigan vs Ohio State
Northwestern vs Illinois
Rutgers vs Maryland
Kentucky vs Louisville
Kansas vs Kansas State
Georgia vs Georgia Tech
Florida vs FSU
Clemson vs South Carolina
Purdue vs Indiana
Auburn vs Alabama
Ole Miss vs Miss State
Michigan State vs Penn State
USC vs Notre Dame
Minnesota vs Wisconsin
Oregon vs Oregon State
Utah vs Colorado
UCLA vs Cal
Utah St vs BYU

and about another dozen or 2 games...which also included this game last year on that Saturday:
UCF vs usf

Yeah...that game didn't get much airplay going up against THAT schedule.

Whereas the schedule for that Black Friday is much, much lighter in total number of games and some of the biggest ones last year were:

Nebraska vs Iowa
Washington vs Washington St
Arizona vs Arizona St
UNC vs NC State
TCU vs Texas

Last edited:
This is in response to SCKnight. ....So you're telling me when you scroll through tv on a Thursday night and you see New Mexico vs UTSA you will watch? I don't. I need to actually care who wins for me to watch it or it be a high caliber game. UCF v USF is not that for most people no matter when it is played.

Actually yes I do watch. I like college football. I watched a few MAC games and CUSA games this year on Thursdays. There are lots of people who are looking for games on Thursday night. Our games on Thursdays got pretty decent ratings. But I never said put this game on Thursday. I said put it on a weekend where it does not have to compete with the biggest games of the year and when is it convenient for the fans. Lets make this a big deal for UCF, not for the rest of the nation at this point. At least until it is ready to compete on a national stage.

Reactions: ucfversusbcs

You are right, but there are still a few big games that day and it is a day when a fair number of fans can't or won't make it to the stadium. Why do that? What do we gain?

Actually yes I do watch. I like college football. I watched a few MAC games and CUSA games this year on Thursdays. There are lots of people who are looking for games on Thursday night. Our games on Thursdays got pretty decent ratings. But I never said put this game on Thursday. I said put it on a weekend where it does not have to compete with the biggest games of the year and when is it convenient for the fans. Lets make this a big deal for UCF, not for the rest of the nation at this point. At least until it is ready to compete on a national stage.
A Friday night is perfect for me.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT