ADVERTISEMENT

Bought a house, need a fence. Suggestions for fence company? Screw Angie's List.

I bought a house.

I need a fence so my border-collies don't peel off after a raccoon and get killed by a roving black bear.

Does anyone have a good fence company that is reasonable, fair, and deals in Orlando?

I shall give them a beer for a referral fee.

I've never hired a fence company as I've always installed my own...a shit load of it. DIY. I will even volunteer to get you started and will even loan you my gas powered auger if you want.

Reactions: jetsaholic
How hard could it be? Auger a hole, put a pole in the hole...should come naturally.

You will definitely want anchor the corner posts (they usually use a larger diameter post) and gate posts with some concrete but I'm not sure if doing all the posts is necessary. You will also want to build a thingamajiggy to properly sandwich/secure to the end of the chainlink to get an even pull when you pull it taut with your truck or a come-along.

Hey Knightman, just out of curiosity, why not use Angie's List? Research purposes...

Try the place on the corner of Goldenrod & 50. They did my heighbor's I think and it came out nice.

Try the place on the corner of Goldenrod & 50. They did my heighbor's I think and it came out nice.
They did my parent's fence, too. One of those vinyl ones, and it looks surprisingly good.

Fences are super expensive. Doing a wood one yourself isn't hard, but it is hard to make it look good and level.

If you are doing wood, do it yourself...very simply...and don't use the panels...(and make sure and use screws to secure everything...no nails)....With a DIY wood fence, you can space your posts anywhere from 8-10 feet (assuming you use 10 foot runners)....That way you can jump over if you run into stumps/etc.......

There's different kinds of vinyl. There's some panels that have separation between them, like rod iron fences.

I want to install vinyl but it's so damn expensive. The new house we moved into is awesome but whoever laid the fence left an awkward amount of space between the vertical planks. You can see through the fence a little too easy from the front looking to the side yard.

I agree with bones- a well treated wood fence will last a long time if installed properly and looks way better than chain link.

I'd stick with the same style fence and put a hot wire on the bottom. That's what I did for the dog. Trying to keep the bottom of field fence or chain link clean is a pain in the ass with a weed wacker. I just have a three board fence with a wire.

I want to install vinyl but it's so damn expensive. The new house we moved into is awesome but whoever laid the fence left an awkward amount of space between the vertical planks. You can see through the fence a little too easy from the front looking to the side yard.

I agree with bones- a well treated wood fence will last a long time if installed properly and looks way better than chain link.

I have a vinyl picket fence around my pool and I hate it. After about 4 years and some significant sun, it started to turn green and I have to pressure clean it once a year.

Now that I think about it, I hate all fences. I have hundreds of yards of fencing and if you aren't fixing it regularly, it's winning.

I had to replace my fence, it was 20 years old. I barely pushed it and it snapped at the base. The posts were rotted out. I quickly replaced it and hoped that the HOA didnt say anything. I got lucky.

I had to replace my fence, it was 20 years old. I barely pushed it and it snapped at the base. The posts were rotted out. I quickly replaced it and hoped that the HOA didnt say anything. I got lucky.
If your replacing it with the same type of fence the HOA has no right to say anything as you are not making a change, simply doing maintenance. Much like repainting your house the same color. They can only complain if you make changes.

it doesn't give the pups the ability to see outside which I want.

This is exactly why I want vinyl fencing. So my dogs can't see outside. Any visual stimuli is reason to start barking or whining when they're looking out into the back yard from the house. Nothing sucks worse than taking a weekend cat nap and being jolted awake because some kids decided to play on their swings a couple houses away.

You will definitely want anchor the corner posts (they usually use a larger diameter post) and gate posts with some concrete but I'm not sure if doing all the posts is necessary. You will also want to build a thingamajiggy to properly sandwich/secure to the end of the chainlink to get an even pull when you pull it taut with your truck or a come-along.
If you're installing it new, you'll also need to pull a permit and for that you'll need a survey and you'll need to include the fence plan on the survey. Which, of course, then means that its subject to inspection and of course penalties when they find some nitpicky thing that you did wrong. Just make sure that you look at the county and state law for whatever zone you're in and you'll be fine.

This is exactly why I want vinyl fencing. So my dogs can't see outside. Any visual stimuli is reason to start barking or whining when they're looking out into the back yard from the house. Nothing sucks worse than taking a weekend cat nap and being jolted awake because some kids decided to play on their swings a couple houses away.
Have you given one of those ultrasonic bark correction devices a try? My friend used it (on his neighbor's dog, from his backyard) and claims it worked great.

If you're installing it new, you'll also need to pull a permit and for that you'll need a survey and you'll need to include the fence plan on the survey. Which, of course, then means that its subject to inspection and of course penalties when they find some nitpicky thing that you did wrong. Just make sure that you look at the county and state law for whatever zone you're in and you'll be fine.

Permits are for city folk. If you're out in a rural area permits aren't needed for fences, at least in Hernando.

Na...my Border-Collies only bark at the mailman or UPS guy. Well-trained (not saying anyone else's aren't). If they don't have something to see beyond a fence they will get depressed and fat. They watch out the window all day as it is.

The property is zoned A-1. No HOA.
Eh, Rizzo barks every single time I go to your house. I ain't no god damn mailman or UPS guy, mofo.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT