ADVERTISEMENT

Buying my first hand gun

ucfdoc

Five-Star Recruit
Gold Member
Aug 13, 2007
I’ve decide I want to get a hand gun to have fun with at a range and to carry with me when I’m out in the woods. I’m not to worried about concealed carry. I’m new to all this and I know from reading this board there are bunch of you who are fairly passionate about all of this so I figured I would ask for y’all advice. From my memory of the last gun discussion Ninja told me to go “finger f**k” a bunch and see what I like.

Well, I decided that I like the feel of the sig P320c and the Glock 17 gen 5. Which one do I get and why?

Depends. Are you a home-invader or wanting to stop one?

Actually, nevermind. Go with a bazooka. Nothing says "bring it on" like something that can disable a tank.

Depends. Are you a home-invader or wanting to stop one?

Actually, nevermind. Go with a bazooka. Nothing says "bring it on" like something that can disable a tank.
He says in his post that he wants one for fun and to carry around the woods. I'd put money on him just being a LARP nerd who's foam swords aren't getting him hard like they used to.

He says in his post that he wants one for fun and to carry around the woods. I'd put money on him just being a LARP nerd who's foam swords aren't getting him hard like they used to.

What could be more fun than a bazooka?

In all honesty, if its just for fun I would get a .40 S&W. 9mm are practical for a lot of reasons but if you just want to shoot for fun get something that is a little bit intimidating. A 9 is fine and cheap to shoot but if its just something you do for a hobby every once in a while then bigger is better. Shoot a glock 23 and decide which one is more fun.

I’ve decide I want to get a hand gun to have fun with at a range and to carry with me when I’m out in the woods ... Well, I decided that I like the feel of the sig P320c and the Glock 17 gen 5. Which one do I get and why?
I really need to arm myself as well, with the packs of coyotes that run not even 100 feet from my house. All it will take is being out with my dog and they get 'hungry enough.'

I'm seriously leaning towards the SIG P320 line, and with the US military now adopting it like many Police, I'm sliding in that direction -- despite the initial complaints about the striker and other issues.

I also like the 17+1 capacity in the full size, although I need to check how my wife feels with it. She's shot several different autos, and the only one she had trouble with was the FN45, of which I expected.

Any gun by a major manufacturer (Glock, CZ FN, Sig, S&W, XD, HK) will be dead nuts reliable. Go with the one that:

1) fits your hand the best
2) has the options you prefer (ex: no manual safety from Glock, Grip safety of XD, amazing trigger pull of a CZ)

Caliber doesn't matter, all pistol calibers suck equally at stopping people).

Any gun by a major manufacturer (Glock, CZ FN, Sig, S&W, XD, HK) will be dead nuts reliable. Go with the one that:

1) fits your hand the best
2) has the options you prefer (ex: no manual safety from Glock, Grip safety of XD, amazing trigger pull of a CZ)

Caliber doesn't matter, all pistol calibers suck equally at stopping people).

Also, make sure whatever gun you choose looks cool when you turn it sideways for the kill shot.

I really need to arm myself as well, with the packs of coyotes that run not even 100 feet from my house. All it will take is being out with my dog and they get 'hungry enough.'

I'm seriously leaning towards the SIG P320 line, and with the US military now adopting it like many Police, I'm sliding in that direction -- despite the initial complaints about the striker and other issues.

I also like the 17+1 capacity in the full size, although I need to check how my wife feels with it. She's shot several different autos, and the only one she had trouble with was the FN45, of which I expected.
This is a change of heart for you? If you’re talking coyote defense and you’re out in the country, why not an AR?

I’ve decide I want to get a hand gun to have fun with at a range and to carry with me when I’m out in the woods. I’m not to worried about concealed carry. I’m new to all this and I know from reading this board there are bunch of you who are fairly passionate about all of this so I figured I would ask for y’all advice. From my memory of the last gun discussion Ninja told me to go “finger f**k” a bunch and see what I like.

Well, I decided that I like the feel of the sig P320c and the Glock 17 gen 5. Which one do I get and why?
Ninja is right. Go to a range that’ll let you try them both and see which you like better. They’re so close it’s going to come to personal preference. I wouldn’t put any stock in the Army contract part of your decision. Those come down to “best value” which is code for lowest cost and there’s no guarantee anything there will transfer over.

love my glock 19. recently decided to get a light. i missed out on the black friday deals especially on the one i wanted. i might pick it up before the end of the year though.

This is a change of heart for you? If you’re talking coyote defense and you’re out in the country, why not an AR?
I'm probably going to get both. But a handgun is easier for my wife to carry outside than having to strap the rifle. I've been traveling to DC for work, and I'd rather her have something than nothing.

I would recommend taking a look at the walther ppq if you’re looking for a polymer framed striker fired handgun. The ppq is known for great ergonomics and arguably has the best out of the box trigger for a striker fired pistol. I would also take a look at a CZ handgun. I’ve been eyeing the sp-01 tactical myself. If you have some extra cash to throw around and want a piece of art, take a look at the Wilson combat edc x9. Essentially it’s a 9mm 1911 without a grip safety. It’s about the same size as a glock 19, carries 15 rounds, and has a sweet 1911 style single action trigger.

I would recommend taking a look at the walther ppq if you’re looking for a polymer framed striker fired handgun. The ppq is known for great ergonomics and arguably has the best out of the box trigger for a striker fired pistol. I would also take a look at a CZ handgun. I’ve been eyeing the sp-01 tactical myself. If you have some extra cash to throw around and want a piece of art, take a look at the Wilson combat edc x9. Essentially it’s a 9mm 1911 without a grip safety. It’s about the same size as a glock 19, carries 15 rounds, and has a sweet 1911 style single action trigger.
A lot of people do love it, even the review sites that want to criticize it because it's so popular, they have to show it the love as well.

Good suggestion. I may still buy a pair of P320s for commonality and volume, but now I'm seriously looking at the PPQ again, after someone else also suggested such months ago.

BTW, I also have this foolish desire to buy a 357 SIG conversion for the P320 as well.

Walter PPQ is a good choice, and CZ as well. My suppressor ready CZ P-07 is hands down my favorite handgun, and has the nicest stock trigger of any polymer gun I've ever shot. Love it.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT