ADVERTISEMENT

Cable cutting

jetsaholic

Diamond Knight
Jul 30, 2007
Sorry but my necromancer powers can't find the old thread about this. I've done a lot of research, pros and cons and come up with a decision: I'm telling FiOS to take their shitty ass tv package and customer service and go fukc themselves.

Ok, so I pay $174 x month for FiOS internet and cable (@#$%&*!!!!!!). That is with 75/75 Mbps speed and the Preferred HD plan which is the least expensive plan to include ESPN. That price also includes two HD DVRs, a wireless modem/router and a signal booster (house is over 3K sq ft.). I'll have to keep the same speed internet because all of my TV watching will be streamed. However, I'm planning on buying my own router/modem and booster. Although I'm going to wait to see what Apple is coming out with next month, Sling is actually a very good option. For $30 ($31 and change after taxes) you get:

• ESPN, ESPN2, AMC, TNT, TBS, CNN, A&E, Lifetime, History, Food Network, HGTV, Travel Channel, Cartoon Network/Adult Swim, Disney Channel, ABC Family, IFC, H2, El Rey Network, Maker, Galavision, SEC Network, ESPNEWS, ESPNU, Universal Sports, Univision Deportes, beIN Sports, ESPN Buzzer Beater, ESPN Bases Loaded, ESPN Goal Line, truTV, Cooking Channel, DIY, WE tv, FYI & LMN
That's pretty much all the channels my wife and I will ever watch, minus ABC. Out of all the boxes on the market, the Nexus player ($73.32) is the one I like the most because of it's ability to use a gaming controller for Google store games (Real Racing 3, Asphalt 8, Injustice: GAU, etc).

So innitial hardware investment, if I decide to go the Slign route is:
  • 3 nexus boxes
  • 1 modem/router
  • 1 signal booster
That's about $422. Now, looking at savings from switching to sling, internet will be about $90 after taxes and let's round up to $32 for sling. That's $122 a month, which means a monthly savings of $52. Over the course of a year, that's $624, which means my original hardware investment will pay itself off in a little over 8 months.

So, what do you guys think? Glad to see the era of (somewhat) a la carte tv is among us.

Reactions: UCFEE
I seem to remember that Sling was $30 per television per month.
I think it used to could, but it's actually just $20 for the basic 12 live channels available on any device. Every "add-on" package is $5 except HBO, that one's $15.

I haven't had any problems streaming HD with 40MBps so you might be able to cut down the bandwidth cost, unless you plan to have multiple devices streaming at the same time.
It would never be more than 2 devices streaming at the same time or one device streaming tv and another device doing online gaming, but the tablets and the Nexus boxes would be on WiFi too 24/7. I just don't want to risk it, I guess.

I think I read somewhere the minimum speed you need for streaming media is 5 Mbps????? I'm probably wrong, though. At 40 Mbps, that's just $60 after taxes. It's something I'm definitely going to have to investigate further.

Actually, I just found out that El Rey bought hundreds of Shaw Bros. kung fu movies. I'm watching the crummy overdub of Come Drink With Me right now. A classic!! My new favorite station! Odelay!!

Reactions: jetsaholic
It would never be more than 2 devices streaming at the same time or one device streaming tv and another device doing online gaming, but the tablets and the Nexus boxes would be on WiFi too 24/7. I just don't want to risk it, I guess.
Just an FYI, Sling only lets you stream to one device at a time. So if you intended to use it in 2 different locations at the same time, then you would need 2 Sling subscriptions.

Just an FYI, Sling only lets you stream to one device at a time. So if you intended to use it in 2 different locations at the same time, then you would need 2 Sling subscriptions.
Saw that. It wouldn't be an issue since it's just my wife and I, but I'm tempted now to wait on Apple since their supposed channel lineup is much more impressive than Sling. Regardless, I'm a month or two away from being cable free. CAN'T WAIT!!!

You can also use the apps for those channels you subscribe to in order to get around the subscription cost. Also watch in June, Apple is rumored by the WSJ to be rolling out a new Apple TV and their $30-40 channel plan which will include the broadcast channels.

You can also use the apps for those channels you subscribe to in order to get around the subscription cost. Also watch in June, Apple is rumored by the WSJ to be rolling out a new Apple TV and their $30-40 channel plan which will include the broadcast channels.
This is the only thing I'm waiting on... and it's burning a hole in my wallet!!! LOL!!!!! #SPENDSPENDSPEND

This is the only thing I'm waiting on... and it's burning a hole in my wallet!!! LOL!!!!! #SPENDSPENDSPEND

Unfortunately, you may have to wait several more months after the announcement. I'm hopeful they bring out something good.

Unfortunately, you may have to wait several more months after the announcement. I'm hopeful they bring out something good.
yeah, I'm thinking if the keynote is in June, then the service won't come out until at least September for the second keynote. I hope it's worth the wait.

I'm a cord cutter and I just added Sling TV today. They were doing the pay 3 months get an Amazon Fire Stick free deal. Since I can cancel anytime, if Apple deal is better I'll probably switch then. In the meantime I have ESPN again for the first time in 8 months.

If you're going to cut the cord, cut the cord. Don't half ass it with sling. Currently paying $30 per month for internet and am able to use the internet to stream basically anything. You watch only what you want and don't waste hours of your life flipping between channels to see what's on.

If you're going to cut the cord, cut the cord. Don't half ass it with sling. Currently paying $30 per month for internet and am able to use the internet to stream basically anything. You watch only what you want and don't waste hours of your life flipping between channels to see what's on.
The only reason I'm getting Sling is because of ESPN. If you know of any way to be able to watch ESPN without a cable subscription or Sling then please tell me so I can research it. That's been the thorn in my sight this whole time.

Oh, and it looks like Apple isn't releasing their service until next year:
http://www.theverge.com/2015/6/1/8701677/apple-internet-tv-wwdc

The only reason I'm getting Sling is because of ESPN. If you know of any way to be able to watch ESPN without a cable subscription or Sling then please tell me so I can research it. That's been the thorn in my sight this whole time.

Oh, and it looks like Apple isn't releasing their service until next year:
http://www.theverge.com/2015/6/1/8701677/apple-internet-tv-wwdc
That blows, oh well - I just moved in to my new place in Miami and basic cable (including ESPN) is included - I have to pay $30 a month to get it in HD, but whatever.

I'm getting an antena for OTA (Over The Air) networks and Sling for ESPN. I should be fine. Going to test the antenna route first, see if I like the quality.

Anybody here has an HDTV antenna?

Did it myself awhile back.
  • A Roku 2s and 3s on every TV in the house. Google "Roku Secret Channels" listing to get a lot of major networks that are not published on their menu. The headphones in the remote for several Roku models are also great for late night watching.
  • Wife is fairly satisfied with Netflix + Amazon Prime + Hulu Plus which ends up being under $25/month
  • Savings alone allows my wife and I to rent or even buy entire shows and movies in any given month from Amazon, Google Play, etc... for things we cannot freely stream.
Now some channels and cable networks are starting to "fight back." HGTV lawyers sent letters to Roku, which removed HGTV from the "hidden" list, and its one of my wife's favorite channels. But, alas, at least many others are still there for her.

Given BrightHouse only charges $35 more for Premium (all but non-pay channels) cable if you already use them for Internet, I'm thinking of getting the package.

Unfortunately I either have to pay for the boxes or, even if I use my own box (or just directly to the TV), the CableCard + Tuning Adapter (since BrightHouse only sends down up to 6 channels to reduce bandwidth). I also have had the problem in the past with BrightHouse charging for 2x as many boxes than I actually have. But it would at least get me a WatchESPN login.

So I've also been investigating the options for a single, DNLA-DVR type unit that can stream to the rest of the TVs in the house. BrightHouse used to set the bit to prevent that, but they no longer on all channels except the pay movie ones. That way I'd only have one CableCard + Turning Adapter combo.

Last edited:
I'm getting an antena for OTA (Over The Air) networks and Sling for ESPN. I should be fine. Going to test the antenna route first, see if I like the quality. Anybody here has an HDTV antenna?
Yes, you'd be surprised how well the passive, let alone active, flat panels work ... although it largely depends on distance.

Yes, you'd be surprised how well the passive, let alone active, flat panels work ... although it largely depends on distance.
Getting a Mohu Leaf 50. Their website allows you to enter your address and gives you an idea of what channels are available and how strong the signal is. Probably getting that this weekend. That's step 1.

Done!!!!!!!!!!!! As of Saturday at 6:00 p.m., I am rid of cable tv. Fukc you Verizon FIOS. And I really don't have to buy any new hardware until football season starts.

My services are:
  • Sling basic + sports package ($25)
  • Hulu+ ($7.99)
Note that I don't include Netflix on this because I have been a Netflix subscriber for so long, I don't consider them part of my "cable" bill. Netflix is available in all of my hardware. Now here's my setup:
  • Living room: Apple TV I already owned. I can watch Hulu+, Watch ESPN (via Sling subscription) and stream Sling content via AirPlay. There are some apps I can use with the Sling login as well but I haven't done those yet.
  • Bedroom: PS3 I already owned. I can watch Hulu+ and whatever movies I have in my Vudu library.
  • Office: Mac Mini I already owned. I can watch Hulu+ and Sling. I have it connected to the TV via HDMI.
  • Theater room: PC desktop I already owned: I can watch Hulu+ and Sling. PC is connected to my HD projector.
I will ad that I can watch my Vudu movie collection on the PS3, Mac Mini, PC and stream it to the Apple TV through AirPlay. Once football season starts, I'll buy a Mohu Leaf 50 antenna to watch all the football games that air on Networks, unless I get lured by Apple's TV service which may or may not be released today.

Total savings per month: $50
Total savings per year: $600

Feeling like a total fukcing boss right now. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT