ADVERTISEMENT

Calabrese > Holman

You're probably trolling, but I'll bite.

The SCSU QB was 15/35 and averaged less than 4 yards per attempt. Are you sure you want him to transfer here?

With an FCS O-line, and FCS receiving corps, Caleb York, absolutely shined. I'm not lobbying to get him to transfer here, but give credit where credit is due.

This. Very much This! The time to "wait and see" is over....he is a senior for God's sake. Holman plain stinks, and we need to stop making excuses for him. Even if we don't have a better option, he should be benched on principle. as a punitive measure. We are going to Ann Arbor to get our shit pushed in next week, because our quarterback wouldn't even be able to throw a football into the truck at halftime.

Look, if Holman turns it around, and sets the world on fire, I will be the first person to eat crow, but deep-down, we all know what we have at QB, and it's not good.
You guys are hilarious.

So we should sit a senior QB who has led the team to a conference title and just WON... As punishment because he's not as good as you think he should be? Even though you admit we probably don't have a better option.

Think that through, champ.[/QUOTE]

Oh, you heard me correctly, chief. We all know that we aren't even in contention for a conference championship with Holman missing his receivers by 3 yards. Why shouldn't Frost make a statement by putting his ass on the pine? What are we going to lose?

After watching Holman for 3-4 years, this is what we know:
12) I can honestly say I was a big Holman fan after the Penn State game in Ireland, but I don't think he's one bit better now than on that day.
I could add (13) he's very streaky, hot and cold, and (14) he may be fast, but not at all elusive like Blake was in avoiding sacks. HOWEVER, we all would agree he's lacked the terrific offensive line that Bortles had, too. Just saying.

funny post but point made. switch QBs from Saturday and we are up at halftime 30 or more rather than 18-0. the kid from SCSU was stupid accurate. Holman missed open receivers in every conceivable fashion. at least he picked it up in the 2nd half. maybe it will carry over for the rest of this year... then get the SCSU QB to transfer.

Ok there Mr. first post ever.... Go take a nap and come back when you are sober.

Holman has the mental fortitude of a rose petal. The kicker is over there calling him a basket case. He needs to just go out and play ball. Stop over thinking things. He's had the reps. The muscle memory should be there for a lot of these routes.

Holman settled down nicely and I am glad Frost isn't as reactionary as this board and admittedly myself. He clicked in the second half no doubt. Hopefully he can carry that into the next game. It is a long season with a new system.
I agree but, Frost has no choice. First year, Senior QB and Frost wants to win a few games.
Coach Frost has to use Holman. I thought we might see Dinovo or something but I guess coach is staying with the senior.

Jesus guys, this is a throw away season. If we win great if not, I wasn't expecting much anyways. DO NOT burn Milton's red shirt. Let this team learn the offense and grow under and Holman can they can excel in the next few years as Frost gets more of his players in here.

Reactions: UCFProf
Jesus guys, this is a throw away season. If we win great if not, I wasn't expecting much anyways. DO NOT burn Milton's red shirt. Let this team learn the offense and grow under and Holman can they can excel in the next few years as Frost gets more of his players in here.

The voice of reason. We have a team that is mostly composed of players recruited for their abilities running a pro style offense. They have been thrown into a scheme that none of them have ever run in their life. It is the first game of the year and Holman has a huge monkey on his back to get rid of 0-13. Did anyone really expect him to come in and perform right off the bat? Did anyone really think he was going to come in and know the reads in his first game? Did he think too much? yes. Did he wait too long, yes. Did he improve as the game went on? Yes.

I give Frost huge kudos for sticking with one QB and not falling into the knee jerk reaction that some of our fans seem to think is necessary anytime that something is not perfect. The Michigan game is another throw away. Lets face it, we don't stand a chance of winning. It should be a glorified scrimmage used to try out different things to see what is working and what is not.

. Why shouldn't Frost make a statement by putting his ass on the pine? What are we going to lose?

What statement is that? "I am a shortsighted coach who is does not have enough patience to keep a QB in the game for more than a quarter to allow a freshman who has even less time in practice a chance to get shell-shocked on the offhand and remote chance that he may do something different than what I have seen over the last 6 weeks of practice?"

Cal was terrible. Ice was his biggest fanboy so consider the source.

I think Holman will do better at UM than Cal did at Texas. That game was painful to watch. It seemed like the only goal in the game was to try and get a first down before punting.

i
UCF Passing
C/ATT YDS AVG TD INT QBR
Rob Calabrese 10/19 76 4.0 0 0 7.0
TEAM 10/19 107 4.0 0 0 --
i
Texas Passing
C/ATT YDS AVG TD INT QBR
Colt McCoy 33/42 470 11.2 2 1 83.5
TEAM 33/42 479 11.2 2 1 --
i
UCF Rushing
CAR YDS AVG TD LONG
Jonathan Davis 22 71 3.2 0 12
A.J. Guyton 1 11 11.0 0 11
Rob Calabrese 15 -7 -0.5 0 6
TEAM 38 75 2.0 0 12
i
Texas Rushing
CAR YDS AVG TD LONG
Cody Johnson 10 44 4.4 2 20
Colt McCoy 8 13 1.6 0 8
Tre' Newton 1 6 6.0 0 6
Fozzy Whittaker 5 3 0.6 1 8
D.J. Monroe 1 1 1.0 0 1
TEAM 25 67 2.7 3 20
i
UCF Receiving
REC YDS AVG TD LONG
A.J. Guyton 5 35 7.0 0 14
Ricky Kay 2 22 11.0 0 11
Kamar Aiken 2 12 6.0 0 7
Rocky Ross 1 7 7.0 0 7
TEAM 10 76 7.6 0 14
i
Texas Receiving
REC YDS AVG TD LONG
Jordan Shipley 11 273 24.8 1 88
Malcolm Williams 5 67 13.4 0 19
James Kirkendoll 5 40 8.0 1 14
John Chiles 3 40 13.3 0 18
Greg Smith 1 12 12.0 0 12
Fozzy Whittaker 2 11 5.5 0 6
Cody Johnson 2 10 5.0 0 14
Marquise Goodwin 3 10 3.3 0 6
Dan Buckner 1 7 7.0 0 7
TEAM 33 470 14.2 2 88
i
UCF Interceptions
INT YDS TD
Josh Robinson 1 3 0
TEAM 1 3 0
i
Texas Interceptions
INT YDS TD
No Texas Interceptions
i
UCF Kick Returns
NO YDS AVG LONG TD
Quincy McDuffie 4 79 19.8 27 0
TEAM 4 79 19.8 27 0
i
Texas Kick Returns
NO YDS AVG LONG TD
D.J. Monroe 1 17 17.0 17 0
TEAM 1 17 17.0 17 0
i
UCF Punt Returns
NO YDS AVG LONG TD
A.J. Guyton 1 5 5.0 5 0
TEAM 1 5 5.0 5 0
i
Texas Punt Returns
NO YDS AVG LONG TD
Jordan Shipley 6 14 2.3 11 0
TEAM 2 14 7.0 11 0
i
UCF Kicking
FG PCT LONG XP PTS
Nick Cattoi 1/1 100.0 39 0/0 3
TEAM 1/1 100.0 50 0/0 3
i
Texas Kicking
FG PCT LONG XP PTS
Hunter Lawrence 0/1 0.0 0 5/5 5
TEAM 0/1 0.0 49 5/5 5
i
UCF Punting
NO YDS AVG TB In 20 LONG
Blake Clingan 8 340 42.5 0 0 70
TEAM 8 340 42.5 0 0 70
i
Texas Punting
NO YDS AVG TB In 20 LONG
Justin Tucker 2 56 28.0 0 0 40
TEAM 2 56 28.0 0 0 40
Sponsored Headlines

A tale of 2 halves. Which Holman will show up on Saturday? Sounds like a repeat of what many of us have been saying all along.

1) Accuracy to complete a pass or allow the play to do what's it's designed to do (maximum YAC for the receiver).

2) touch on passes

3) making the correct decisions and reads and doing it quickly. The offense
isn't supposed to be adjusted for Holman, but he's supposed to adjust to this offense.

Which Holman will we see???

A tale of 2 halves. Which Holman will show up on Saturday? Sounds like a repeat of what many of us have been saying all along.
I'd rather it didn't occur in the reverse order: accurate at the start but wild and indecisive later. At least what we saw supports a narrative that things slowed down for Holman (he even used those words in a post-game interview). The players look up to him, though he's a quiet leader who never loses confidence in his abilities and has worked like crazy for almost 6 months for this chance. That 3rd quarter reminded me eerily of Blake taking the team on his shoulders. Every throw required a different skill. His double pump fake while moving in the shifting pocket to get Akins so wide open. Stepping up in the pocket on his first TD. The second TD with just the right touch and lead. It was as close to a clinic as I've seen Justin conduct.

1) Accuracy to complete a pass or allow the play to do what's it's designed to do (maximum YAC for the receiver).

2) touch on passes

3) making the correct decisions and reads and doing it quickly. The offense
isn't supposed to be adjusted for Holman, but he's supposed to adjust to this offense.

Hell yes. This exactly. The fact that we're questioning the consistency of our Sr. QB is a problem. I'd love to jump on the JH train so I hope he can show big improvements in these three areas.

Reactions: Mikesi
Calabrese wasn't very good but had a lot less talent to work with. Holman isn't very good with much better skilled players. If you switched them around I don't think the results change much as neither are the type of QB that wins games for you. Both of them leave you disappointed and hoping for more next game but you never get it just more of the same.

Calabrese wasn't very good but had a lot less talent to work with. Holman isn't very good with much better skilled players. If you switched them around I don't think the results change much as neither are the type of QB that wins games for you. Both of them leave you disappointed and hoping for more next game but you never get it just more of the same.
Whaaaa? One of the worst QBs to start for a FBS team vs. a guy who led the team to a conference championship. Calabrese's teams had enough talent under Godfrey and later Blake to do very well. Calabrese was always off target, not just occasionally. Exceeding 100 yards passing was an effort for him. GOL liked him solely because he could run, and he was partial to running quarterbacks.

Whaaaa? One of the worst QBs to start for a FBS team vs. a guy who led the team to a conference championship. Calabrese's teams had enough talent under Godfrey and later Blake to do very well. Calabrese was always off target, not just occasionally. Exceeding 100 yards passing was an effort for him. GOL liked him solely because he could run, and he was partial to running quarterbacks.

Holman wasn't the reason we won the conference title. If you look at his numbers he had great games, in blowouts, but his struggles made a lot of other games closer than they should have been. He also had some great receivers making him look good. We were a running team with great defense that's why we won.

I said Calabrese wasn't very good but the teams Godfrey and Blake had were much different than Rob's. Rob had Rocky Ross to throw to, nobody can look good with that. He had Aiken but he wasn't used properly at all here and it's a testament to him that he's become a great NFL player with how underutilized he was.

Holman wasn't the reason we won the conference title. If you look at his numbers he had great games, in blowouts, but his struggles made a lot of other games closer than they should have been. He also had some great receivers making him look good. We were a running team with great defense that's why we won.

I said Calabrese wasn't very good but the teams Godfrey and Blake had were much different than Rob's. Rob had Rocky Ross to throw to, nobody can look good with that. He had Aiken but he wasn't used properly at all here and it's a testament to him that he's become a great NFL player with how underutilized he was.
Uh, Taye left for Raiders stardom and Storm left a year after. That's who Blake had! Those "great" runner Holman was left with certainly were not pro-quality.

Uh, Taye left for Raiders stardom and Storm left a year after. That's who Blake had! Those "great" runner Holman was left with certainly were not pro-quality.
He had Stanback who could find the end zone plus Hall, Worton, Reese and Perriman that's a lot more talent than Rob had. Rob sucked but Holman isn't anything special and was hugely responsible for the Missouri and Connecticut loses that year.

He had Stanback who could find the end zone plus Hall, Worton, Reese and Perriman that's a lot more talent than Rob had. Rob sucked but Holman isn't anything special and was hugely responsible for the Missouri and Connecticut loses that year.
Just checked the two Mizzou box scores. Bortles got 143 yds rushing at a 5.3 average from his backs, thanks mostly to Storm. Holman got 67 from Stanback and company, a 2.9 ave. (excluding the QB runs and sack yard in each case). Holman each averaged 6 yards per pass attempt. The difference was Holman had the two INTs obviously, but it's hard to stay in a game without much of a rushing attack. It was 14-10 at the half. Holman had 18 fewer total yards running and passing than Bortles. Both were young, but Bortles had a red-shirt year and about 5 times the playing time experience over Holman.

Holman is better than Calabrese. It's really not even close. Calabrese was not and FBS level QB. To say that Holman was responsible for the loss to Missouri, pretty much discredits you from knowing a lot about UCF football. I'm not a big Holman fan, but come on, did you even watch that game???

Last edited:
Holman is better than Calabrese. It's really not even close. Calabrese was not and FBS level QB. To say that Holman was responsible for the loss to Missouri, pretty much discredits you from knowing a lot about UCF football. I'm not a big Holman fan, but come on, did you even watch that game???

Yes I watched the game, he was a turnover machine in the second half and his accuracy was all over the place again. Sure Missouri was a better football and pressured him but we completely fell apart after the half Holman especially.

It was his first start and the offensive line was completely overmatched. He was sacked, hit, or hurried repeatedly as Missouri which had a beastly defensive line all year, destroyed and completely dominated our offensive line. They did the same to the Gators and their QBs. Missouri's entire defense completely dominated and
shut down every one of our skill players. Also, Perrimen had a case of the dropsies

Yes, he sucked vs UConn

I'm over Holman, u can't rely on a QB that only relies on 50/50 deep balls & misses everything else

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT