ADVERTISEMENT

Can Tom Herman and Willie Taggart be successful?

Mikesi

Diamond Knight
Oct 17, 2013
Both were beaten handily yesterday.

Oregon (5-5) 38-3 to Washington

and Texas (4-5) 24-7 to TCU

I wonder how successful that they will be in year 2? Will the fans start grumbling?

Very similar situations to UF and Nebraska.

I try to tell people all the time, Houston is set up to win just like UCF is. The HC doesn’t matter as much.

I can’t explain Texas struggles.

Slick Willie is a used car salesman. And Slim Jim is a Choke Artist. Oregon deserves better.

Reactions: Mikesi
Remember all those G5 coaches? Sumlin - hotseat . McEwan - tossed aside like a $10 crack ho after going bobbing for apples.

Herman has one more year before hotseat. Taggart two. That's the mindset of these programs. If you don't get instant gratification... "he gone".

Compare that to UCF who last three coaches were 11,17 and 12 years with the program. Why would Frosty or anybody else want to go to the UF's and Nebraska's of the world and risk torpedoing his career in the process.

In other words, UCF is the new Nebraska. :eek:

The struggles at Texas is one of the most bizarre things in CFB. That should be a top 5 program with the resources and location.

I'm a big 'location guy' and I'm not just recruiting territory but just being an awesome town or city. So Texas struggling blows my mind when I could argue Austin might be the best Power 5 City to live in. But Herman does have a Top 5 class last time I checked, he could have a big year 2 jump.

And about Slick Willie I was telling Oregon fans he's a 1 trick pony. Amazing recruiter but questionable in developing players & will get schooled as a gameday coach. Looks like Peterson embarrassed him last night.

Reactions: Mikesi
The struggles at Texas is one of the most bizarre things in CFB. That should be a top 5 program with the resources and location.
Herman has said Texas has a long way to go and it's not going to change in one year...msybe two. He kind of pointed to the culture needing big changes. I think indirectly he's saying they don't have the right kind if kids there, and in college you just can't fire or trade players away. You have to live with what you got until you find someone to replace them.

USF, UCF, and Houston can recruit circles around the rest of the conference. Don’t need a top knotch head coach to do it. Which is why said schools shouldn’t be worried about losing coaches. It breaks the continuity a bit, but these teams weren’t exactly struggling recruiting talent before the coaches arrived and won’t struggle after the leave. Any up and coming coordinator would be foaming at the mouth to replace Frost (or Strong for that matter) were they to leave.

I have faith Herman will right the ship. He’s playing with a bad Texas team (weird I know) that Charlie Strong left. Taggert will be a bust. His defenses were terrible and outside of finding Flowers, his teams were terrible. He’ll struggle to recruit in Oregon and they’re a spoiled fan base after Chip Kelly. They’ll run him out in 3 years.

USF, UCF, and Houston can recruit circles around the rest of the conference. Don’t need a top knotch head coach to do it.
Any up and coming coordinator would be foaming at the mouth to replace Frost (or Strong for that matter) were they to leave.
And for that reason the next coaches salary should go back down to $1 mil. They will be investing in their future by coming here

Both were beaten handily yesterday.

Oregon (5-5) 38-3 to Washington

and Texas (4-5) 24-7 to TCU

I wonder how successful that they will be in year 2? Will the fans start grumbling?

Very similar situations to UF and Nebraska.

Taggert at Oregon? Not sure about that hire.
Herman at Texas? I think he will get it going eventually. Good coach, recruiting hot bed, etc.

I think the UF and NU situations are a little different. JE won two division titles in his first two years at UF, then lost some of his best players before the season even started this year. Then the bizarre situation of the death threats.....true or not.

Riley just could not get it done here at NU. It kind of sucks. I liked the guy and wanted him to succeed. It is not just about wins and losses, but also the way in which those losses are taking place. NU will open the checkbook this time....they actually cannot afford to NOT get the hire right this time.

NU fans will show patience. Most of us know that this is a total rebuild. Not sure that the next UF coach will have that luxury.

Anyway, great win on Saturday when it was obvious UCF was not playing at their best. Good/great teams find a way to scratch out a W when things aren't going their way. Impressive, gritty performance. Sighhhh.....we used to know what that felt like. lol.

Anyway, keep it rolling, Knights. Good luck next week.

Last edited:
USF, UCF, and Houston can recruit circles around the rest of the conference. Don’t need a top knotch head coach to do it. Which is why said schools shouldn’t be worried about losing coaches. It breaks the continuity a bit, but these teams weren’t exactly struggling recruiting talent before the coaches arrived and won’t struggle after the leave. Any up and coming coordinator would be foaming at the mouth to replace Frost (or Strong for that matter) were they to leave.

Pretty sure you already have a guy that will end up as an HC soon in Troy Walters. He could take over pretty seamlessly if Frost does go elsewhere, imo.

There has been a shift in how success in the college ranks has been achieved. Look at Clemson. Dabo Swinney is not know as a great "game day coach" but he can recruit and surrounds himself with great coaches. Clemson pays their assistant coaches very well to keep them there.

So while having a good head coach is important, having him bring in the right assistants is even more important. With Charlie Strong Texas brought in a good recruiter with bad assistants. They followed him like baggage. Herman will do better but he has to clean up a big mess first.

The other shift is the access to TV time. Now teams like UCF has access to TV for all of their games. That used to be only the privileged few. It may not be prime time, but it is either live or streaming. That allows player who go to the AAC get notice. Perfect example is LSUDad viral videos.

Willie Taggert is another matter. Have any of his teams ever really accomplished anything? At WKU he turned the program around but never got them to the next level, At USF he recruited some player including Flowers, but left before the even won a conference division championship. Some might say he jumped ship. I don't see him doing all that well at Oregon .

the Taggart hype is something else and now there are rumors that Florida is gaining steam. His agent knows how to market. Even though he would be a recruiting machine in Gainesville it would be hilarious to see him fail to develop a QB just like Mac

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT