ADVERTISEMENT

Can't complain about the NCAA allowing players to receive compensation when you see this ...

Isn't that kind of the same argument as 2 wrongs make a right? In my opinion, paying college coaches that kind of money is obscene, and paying players will be the eventual downfall of the sport. Opens the door for some really bad things to happen. Over time, I believe there will be less fans. Why watch the minor leagues when you can watch the majors.

Last edited:
Giving an 18 year old millions of dollars is a stupid idea no matter how you slice it. It ruins the “team” aspect also, see Colorado for case example. Glad I was able to enjoy college football before it became a free agency league
Coaches have been leaving teams before season is over for decades chasing money. College football has been broken for a long time, as college fanbases brag about tv contracts, donations, facilities just as much as winning a game. Plenty of kids will waste the money, just like adults do. Some of those kids are going to make good decisions with that money, that probably will not make it to the next level for various reasons. However, I guess it was better if they just stick with million dollar locker rooms, lazy rivers and coaches with 7-8 figure buyouts.

Reactions: DaShuckster
Coaches have been leaving teams before season is over for decades chasing money. College football has been broken for a long time, as college fanbases brag about tv contracts, donations, facilities just as much as winning a game. Plenty of kids will waste the money, just like adults do. Some of those kids are going to make good decisions with that money, that probably will not make it to the next level for various reasons. However, I guess it was better if they just stick with million dollar locker rooms, lazy rivers and coaches with 7-8 figure buyouts.
I guess I am growing tired of everything being about money and me. There was something truly beautiful and even noble about true amateur sports. I wonder if the Greek and Spartan athletes in the Greek Olympic games ever became tainted by money and corruption. The grand prize was simply a laurel crown. We've come a long, long way from that ideal.

The only thing NIL changed was putting everybody on the same playing field when it comes to recruiting.

Sure, some universities don't have the boosters with the big $$$ to sway a star athlete. But at least its all above board now as opposed to the under-the-table stuff that's long has been a practice in the SEC.

Disagree? So you can tell me with a straight face that it was a last-minute 'change of heart' that led Cam Newton to sign with Auburn and lead them to a Natty?

I'm tired of 'everything being about money' too. But let's be honest: When it comes to player recruitment inside the SEC, money has been a part of the business for decades.

• Haha
Reactions: U C to the F
Sure, some universities don't have the boosters with the big $$$ to sway a star athlete.

I'm tired of 'everything being about money' too. But let's be honest: When it comes to player recruitment inside the SEC, money has been a part of the business for decades.
This is the problem. It’s become a game with the SEC and Big Ten to outspend each other for athletes. Most other colleges can’t compete with them under any scenarios Most of these kids are going to make more money in college than they ever make when they leave college. Could they earn it without the platform that the college gives them ? No Could they earn a scholarship that allows an education to make money later on in their life? Most of them No

I, like the poster above, am glad I played at a time when the value of an education meant something. It allowed me to progress throughout my life to achieve goals that I would not have been able to have achieved had it not been for the scholarship to the university. The universities initial standard was for an education first athletics second. That is no longer the agenda for many athletes who will make their most money in college then they will when they graduate. Education was the foundation for athletics, not vice versa

I don’t disagree that some coaches make way too much money, but I think the money should go to the University to lesson the burden of the average person going to the school. In my opinion, we have devalued education as it goes to the athletes. The scholarship is invaluable to many of us who had not the resources to go to college without it ultimately to make a lot of money off of the education provided to us if used properly.

Last edited:
This is the problem. It’s become a game with the SEC and Big Ten to outspend each other for athletes.
At least the Big Ten wasn't cheating before payments to players became legal.
... I think the money should go to the University to lesson the burden of the average person going to the school. In my opinion, we have devalued education as it goes to the athletes. The scholarship is invaluable to many of us who had not the resources to go to college without it ultimately to make a lot of money off of the education provided to us if used properly.
I 100% agree with this statement. If, from the get-go, most of the big TV money had gone to the academic side of the house to lower the cost of education, the NCAA wouldn't be in the crisis situation it finds itself in today.

Reactions: Yaes and connerito
At least the Big Ten wasn't cheating before payments to players became legal.

I 100% agree with this statement. If, from the get-go, most of the big TV money had gone to the academic side of the house to lower the cost of education, the NCAA wouldn't be in the crisis situation it finds itself in today.
Big Ten cheated just did it without a southern accent

The only thing NIL changed was putting everybody on the same playing field when it comes to recruiting.

Sure, some universities don't have the boosters with the big $$$ to sway a star athlete. But at least its all above board now as opposed to the under-the-table stuff that's long has been a practice in the SEC.

Disagree? So you can tell me with a straight face that it was a last-minute 'change of heart' that led Cam Newton to sign with Auburn and lead them to a Natty?

Don't you think this just open doors for even more "under-the-table stuff?" How long before player betting will be okay?

“putting everyone on the same playing field” is hilarious.

Reactions: Yaes and connerito
Don't you think this just open doors for even more "under-the-table stuff?" How long before player betting will be okay?
Player betting is illegal for pros. They can’t even place bets on other sports if they are on league and team property.

Reactions: Robert0122
UCF is primarily focusing on building premium seating to maximize revenue, just like pro sport franchises. Universities want money not amateur athletics.

If NIL and transfer portal was eliminated would football programs reverse course? Coaches pay would plateau, coaches and players commit only to one school for their career, ticket prices plummet, 100s of millions wouldn't be spent on facilities.

Report: Tyler Barron and Penny Boone were kicked off team for "starting trouble" in the locker room

Link:

"We spoke in the prior segment about (Wesley) Walker, (Tyler) Baron, and Peny Boone," said Wahman. "They were all represented by an agent. So I guess I'm going to dispel the rumors (that Louisville has had major NIL issues). Coach (Jeff) Brohm kicked them all off the team because they were starting trouble in the locker room, telling everybody 'oh I'm making this much, you should tell your guys to get you this much'. So it was a situation where you had some troublemakers in the locker room. Coach Brohm found out about it [and] he gave them the boot."

"... And again, Coach Brohm did boot those kids off the team because they were starting trouble in the locker room."

UCF is primarily focusing on building premium seating to maximize revenue, just like pro sport franchises. Universities want money not amateur athletics.

If NIL and transfer portal was eliminated would football programs reverse course? Coaches pay would plateau, coaches and players commit only to one school for their career, ticket prices plummet, 100s of millions wouldn't be spent on facilities.
The question is should Universities want money not amateur athletics. You sound like my grandchildren whose answer to every change and every question is, "things are different now, Papa." I fully realize things are different now, but different does not always mean better or good. At present, Universities are doing a lot of things I don't approve of and I believe the administrations of many of our most prestigious institutions of higher learning are morally and ethically bankrupt. I assume you have listened to some of them as they faced Congressional Hearings and I hope you were shocked, or at least dismayed, over their responses.

Reactions: major.tom.foolery
Is NIL and paying players really good for Athletics? Today, when it comes to recruting, I am reminded of the old joke about the man asking the girl if she would do it for a $100 and she replies "no, of course not!" "How about $250," he says. "No," she says indignantly. "How about $500," he says. "No, what kind of girl do you take me for," she says. He replies, "Honey, we know what kind of girl you are, we're just arguing about the price." I know, really old joke but I hope it helps to make my point.

Reactions: PositYourself
He replies, "Honey, we know what kind of girl you are, we're just arguing about the price." I know, really old joke but I hope it helps to make my point.
Probably would have gotten more traction by offering a V-Bucks Card on his original proposition.

I digress.

My question about NIL relates to high school recruiting. Do "unofficial" visits still exist? Are those still a thing?

I am witnessing high-profile recruits traveling all over the country for "unofficial" visits to remote destinations.

How in the h*ll can a under-resourced, disadvantaged minority running back (Translation: poor black kid) from Elba, Ala., afford to visit Penn State "unofficially."

That's bullsh*t. Don't get me wrong. I am happy for the kid. But there is literally ZERO chance his family can afford to send him to either of these places on their own dime. They ain't got a pot to piss in.
  • 4648328.png

April 06, 2024: Unofficial Visit

Alvin Henderson unofficially visits Penn State Nittany Lions
  • 4648201.png

March 30, 2024: Unofficial Visit

Alvin Henderson unofficially visits Miami Hurricanes

Only super naive or uninformed UCFans don't know about all the illegal payments going to players for decades..

Players and coaches should be treated the same. They are all part of the same team. They either all should be paid or none should be paid.

#UCFacts

:cool:

Exactly! I just happen to be one of those who think coaches salaries are obscene and players shouldn't be paid.

Exactly! I just happen to be one of those who think coaches salaries are obscene and players shouldn't be paid.
Agreed, but the fans and alumni continue to funnel money to athletic programs. Suppose the only solution is to impose a salary cap, but then that makes college sports even more like the NFL and the excessive money from tv contracts is going to line someone's pockets, wouldn't be anyone actually generating the money. In a perfect world I guess all the money goes to the university to offer more scholarships, better educational facilities, better athletics for non-revenue generating sports.

However, this is America and generally speaking we are not fond of taking the success of one to support others.

Regardless of the money being thrown around by schools, boosters, players, NIL collectives, commissioners, etc... The bottom line is whether people will continue to care for the sport like they have in the past. I can tell you I don't. I used to be a passionate NFL fan until they demonstrated to me they will clearly favor one team over another in a Superbowl. I mean the game is incredible but I don't care as much (which means I spend less money and time on it).

Then I spent my time and money more on UCF football. After the last few seasons, though, I don't care as much about college football either, including my Knights. The pageantry of the game is mostly gone. The game (and any sport) was and is based on players, and players currently have little loyalty to a program. You watch a guy come in and develop. You get on board with it. You're excited. Now you watch players grow but you have no idea if any of those people will even be on your roster next season, so why should I care until 4-5 games into any season. If by 4-5 games the team seems like it might do something then that is great, else I already was less passionate and no longer really care for the rest of that season.

Last edited:
Agreed, but the fans and alumni continue to funnel money to athletic programs. Suppose the only solution is to impose a salary cap, but then that makes college sports even more like the NFL and the excessive money from tv contracts is going to line someone's pockets, wouldn't be anyone actually generating the money. In a perfect world I guess all the money goes to the university to offer more scholarships, better educational facilities, better athletics for non-revenue generating sports.

However, this is America and generally speaking we are not fond of taking the success of one to support others.
Agreed UCF is an educational institution that gives a platform to its students and student athletes to utilize to gain future success Without the platform the less then 1% athletes would not get a pro contract. The other 99% were not getting it anyway as the pro sports market is limited

Put it in the college tuitions and make it affordable for others. It’s a university first not a farm system for athletes.

Reactions: Yaes
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT