ADVERTISEMENT

Cecil the Lion

KnighttimeJoe

Todd's Tiki Bar
May 29, 2001
Have your friends on Facebook been crying about this (literally) over the past week or what?

-some people actually think the hunter should be charged with murder
-PETA wants him hanged
-many are calling for him to be extradited back to Zimbabwe to face charges

This dentist is a piece of shit who probably gut shot this lion--supposedly he's an expert shot--but if he were, that lion would not have taken 40 hours of tracking and then a bullet to kill it. That being said, Jesus Christ people, it's an animal...

Have your friends on Facebook been crying about this (literally) over the past week or what?

-PETA wants him hanged

This dentist is a piece of shit who probably gut shot this lion--supposedly he's an expert shot--but if he were, that lion would not have taken 40 hours of tracking and then a bullet to kill it. That being said, Jesus Christ people, it's an animal...
I can understand the outrage - supposedly people travel to that preserve/park just to see Cecil. I look at it like someone killing Shamu or the like. I mean, what else does Zimbabwe have going for it?

If the guy acted maliciously, then he should face the consequences of his actions as dictated by local jurisdiction. I know he's blaming the guides, etc., but it may fall on him as well. That said, regardless of what you think of hunting, not immediately killing your take is, unfortunately, sometimes part of the deal.

I can understand the outrage - supposedly people travel to that preserve/park just to see Cecil. I look at it like someone killing Shamu or the like. I mean, what else does Zimbabwe have going for it?

If the guy acted maliciously, then he should face the consequences of his actions as dictated by local jurisdiction. I know he's blaming the guides, etc., but it may fall on him as well. That said, regardless of what you think of hunting, not immediately killing your take is, unfortunately, sometimes part of the deal.

Ignorance is no excuse.

Reactions: UCFWayne
I'm not a fan of trophy hunting on animals that are dwindling in population. Lions fit that bill.

That said, it's legal in some countries. However, I think this story may have legs because it sounds like the local guides deliberately lured the lion out of the park, where it's protected, and onto private lands so they could kill it. If that's true, this would indeed be illegal (poaching) and they'd be subject to punishment.

The question for the dentist is whether or not he knew that they were luring the lion from the park onto private grounds. If they can prove that he did know this, and fueled the higher price, then he's just as guilty as them.

It's also pretty f*cked up to use a bow and arrow on this lion if he couldn't kill it straight away. It's cruel to let the thing suffer for 40 hours with a massive wound.

Bottom line: there's plenty of deer, hogs and ducks to hunt here, and you can actually use them for food. There's no need to go into Africa and start hunting big game animals whose numbers are way down in the first place.

Looking forward to Uncle Ted's response. It should be a well thought out narrative representing both sides equally.

The big problem is the corrupt government there. Throw a little cash their way and they'd let you shoot their mothers.

I was watching NBC last night and they said that approximately 800 lions are hunted and brought back to the U.S. a year. 2.5% of the population. And that's only the U.S. Be prepared to see the lion on the endangered species list within a decade or so.

-PETA wants him hanged

I'm getting those posts, and the "counter posts" about how we shouldn't care about a dead lion because Planned Parenthood is killing all those babies.

Sometimes I hate social media.

Tell me what you ate for dinner, what sports teams you hate, and post a pic/video of your kid/dog.

They left the carcass for other animals to feed. After, they are using the bones for some kind of memorial there. That dentist was in trouble before for killing a bear illegally(I think).

They left the carcass for other animals to feed. After, they are using the bones for some kind of memorial there. That dentist was in trouble before for killing a bear illegally(I think).

This is correct--he was in trouble in Minnesota (or some other state up there) for killing a bear. I'm not convinced he didn't know. Any hunter who I've ever met who said they didn't know the rules or feigns ignorance is a god damn liar.

Be that as it may, the reaction to this and the mob justice mentality is a bit much. Maybe we can get Obama to ship his ass back to Africa because of the heinous nature of the crime. I mean let's get the UN involved too while we are at it.

I'm no hunter or a PETA fan, I am also pro choice but makes this so pathetic to me all the liberals bitching about the killing of an wild Lion yet in the same news cycle defend planned parenthood and their selling of baby parts. What a screwed up place we live in.

WTF everyone mostly agrees on this issue, and even more shockingly it is the mostly correct view. Da cooler be crazy.

NHTSlzh.jpg

9aAI60w.jpg

YBtbDut.jpg

RX3F5qk.jpg

Sometimes I hate social media.

Tell me what you ate for dinner, what sports teams you hate, and post a pic/video of your kid/dog.

Hold on. Are you saying people should stop posting dog pictures? I wish all social media was dog pictures.

The difference between dogs and kids on social media is I like other peoples dogs. No reason to hold back on the puppies.

Facebook really is amazing. It's "the" platform for the laziest generation in at least 100 years to complain and scream about their Injustices De Jour without having to actually lift a finger and do something, about anything.

It's like somewhere along the line, it became acceptable to simply post self righteous shit on Facebook, in your underwear while lying in bed, and in exchange not having to actually volunteer, work on a campaign, work at a charity, etc.

"I'm so unhappy with the world today, that I'm going to mockingly share 100 Facebook posts to show it!"

Reactions: fabknight
Facebook really is amazing. It's "the" platform for the laziest generation in at least 100 years to complain and scream about their Injustices De Jour without having to actually lift a finger and do something, about anything.

It's like somewhere along the line, it became acceptable to simply post self righteous shit on Facebook, in your underwear while lying in bed, and in exchange not having to actually volunteer, work on a campaign, work at a charity, etc.

"I'm so unhappy with the world today, that I'm going to mockingly share 100 Facebook posts to show it!"

Yes. I still don't have a facebook account and never will. I am a man of action.

It's not just the younger generation. There are plenty of people over 30 who take to Facebook and Twitter with their rage and morons unite campaigns.

Reactions: 1ofTheseKnights

To loosely quote Doug Stanhope: "Raising awareness is another form of doing nothing. You just think that your way of doing nothing is better than my way of doing nothing".

We defeat Kony yet? Mothereffer could've been fake for all I know.

Can't pupu on all slacktivism. Take UCFAA's social media: inexpensive cost & ass kicking outreach. Better than not kicking ass. Not long ago & still to some degree it was “heh heh UCF sucks at football, let’s go the Citrus Bowl get drunk & leave heh heh” Nice easy way to keep folks engaged.

There's plenty positive elements of social media mob mentality ie communicating & spereading when a company, person or group gets it wrong they're annihilated, apologize & change happens. Airlines & sports commissioners immediately come to mind.

Is annoying that people give a fvck about an animal or a camera whoring celebrities.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT