ADVERTISEMENT

Charlie Strong promises championships and on campus stadium...

Central Floridave

Todd's Tiki Bar
Aug 21, 2001
"I feel like once you get a stadium on campus, it's their home," Strong said. "It's what they defend, it's their house. And that's gonna be critical, and that's gonna happen."

"There's no reason why we don't go out and compete for championships year-in and year-out."

Charlie couldn't win a National Championship at Texas where you get ranked in the Top 25 for making a first down but he's going to do it at USF?
XWiC4sKZ_400x400.jpg

Charlie couldn't win a National Championship at Texas where you get ranked in the Top 25 for making a first down but he's going to do it at USF?
XWiC4sKZ_400x400.jpg

True, but the dumbass couldn't even get a National Championship, or hell, even play for one when Loserville was "the best team".

As for stadium, does anyone really think this boob Strong is still going to be coaching usf in 2018 or 2019 (the time that maybe, someone might one day begin thinking about- well there is that empty field across the street, well no, well maybe,..... yadda yadda yadda.)

It really would be a fun bet, which Florida G5 coach goes P5 first.

My bet is Strong since he'll do well with Willie's recruits. The other guys actually have to build something.

Taggart & Holtz said the same thing. They use that topic to stir up excitement and season ticket sales during the offseason then they don't talk about it again for years. Their fans take the bait every time
Holtz never said anything about an OCS.

Holtz never said anything about an OCS.

Wrong again.

Skip's on board, let's do the study.

By Brett McMurphy

CBSSports.com Senior Writer

July 15, 2011

TAMPA, Fla. -- South Florida already plays in one of the top NFL stadiums in the country. However, USF coach Skip Holtz thinks the Bulls can play in an even better stadium.

One located on USF's campus.

"If done right, yes, I would be in favor of an on-campus stadium,"
Holtz told CBSSports.com.

When the Bulls' program began in 1997 as a Division I-AA independent, it made perfect sense to play in an NFL stadium across town. USF began in the Big Sombrero -- old Tampa Stadium -- before moving next door to the Tampa Bay Bucs' new home at Raymond James Stadium a year later.

Back then, the Bulls didn't need an on-campus stadium. They had a few more pressing needs. The coaches worked out of trailers and, in their first season, the Bulls' rain gear consisted of green Hefty bags.

But this is a different time at USF: much different. The program is beginning its 15th season, the seventh in a BCS conference. The Bulls are no longer a fledgling Division I-AA program or a FBS independent or a Conference USA member. They have new blood and new attitudes ready to embrace another level of commitment.

It's no surprise that the top three reasons the Bulls don't have an on-campus stadium are cash, cash and cash. Holtz is sensitive to those concerns.

"I don't think anyone thinks we should make a commitment to jump into it without putting the studies in place," Holtz said. "What is it going to cost? Where it should be built? That should be looked at -- those are the things to look at to see if it's even feasible.

"It's a very difficult economic time for a lot of universities and a lot of people. You have to be considerate of that with what you're going through. Is now the right time? Let's look at that and find out. It may be a little harder to raise [the funds] now, but it's also cheaper to build."

Having played in an NFL stadium since its inception, USF fans are accustomed to certain perks, such as luxury boxes and club levels. So the Bulls obviously can't just encircle a football field with some aluminum bleachers, like their "friends" at UCF, 90 miles up I-4.

"It would be great to have people from all over the state and country come to this campus and see what's here," Holtz said. "At the same time, there are advantages to playing in one of the top NFL stadiums in the country. If you're going to build a stadium on campus, the commitment has to be there to do it right."

Instead of a stadium like the one at Central Florida, USF would have to build a stadium similar to the University of Minnesota's. The Golden Gophers finished their palace in 2009 -- a $303 million palace.

USF should take notes on how the Golden Gophers got it done. Here's how Minnesota's financing plan worked, according to school officials: state funding $137 million, student fees $13 million, parking $13 million, fundraising $91.9 million, athletics $27.8 million and other payments $20.4 million.

A 25-year naming rights deal to TCF Bank Stadium brought in $35 million. The school has a debt service of $2 million a year and they make their last payment in 2034.

By no longer playing in the Metrodome, Minnesota officials said the net effect is that the school has about $1.5 million per year in additional revenue in the new stadium.

USF currently pays the Tampa Sports Authority, which manages Raymond James Stadium, about $150,000 a year for a license fee. TSA also receives a ticket surcharge equal to 8 percent of each USF ticket sold, not to exceed $2.50 per ticket.

The Bucs also retain the first $2 million in profits from parking and concessions at all of USF's home games so USF gets little, if any, revenue from concessions and parking.

But paying $303 million for a stadium? There's a better chance Jim Leavitt and Seth Greenberg both would return as USF coaches than the school stringing together $303 million.

However, USF doesn't need to duplicate the TCF Bank Stadium or build another 66,000-seat Raymond James Stadium. A 50,000-seat stadium -- with the ability to expand at a later date -- would be perfect and much less expensive.

How expensive? That depends on the school's commitment. UCF's 45,000-seat stadium cost $65 million in 2007 and North Texas' 31,000-seat stadium, which debuts this fall, cost $78 million.

In the past months, USF has made stunning changes on campus. USF has built new stadiums in baseball, softball and soccer, a new basketball practice facility, track and tennis courts and added new football practice fields and an artificial turf all-purpose field.

That came with about a $33.5 million price tag in which no state funds were used. The university also committed $35.6 million to renovate the Sun Dome, USF's home basketball arena. It's expected to be completed in April.

Besides coming up with a solid financial plan -- and don't forget USF will benefit handsomely when the Big East secures a new media rights deal worth at least $1 billion by 2013 -- USF also would have to decide where to build it. The two most popular places are a mall two miles from campus or USF's on-campus golf course. One Big East athletic director told me if he came to USF "the very first thing I would do is blow up the golf course and drop a stadium right there."

Ever since USF was founded in 1956, it's been described as a commuter school. Drive-Thru U. is what comedian Gallagher, a USF graduate, calls his alma mater. One way to forever lose the commuter school tag would be to have an on-campus stadium.

Holtz knows the experience of coaching at schools with on-campus stadiums, such as Notre Dame, Florida State and East Carolina. There is a big difference.

"On the Monday of a big game week, the RVs start pulling into town, the TV trucks, the production trucks," Holtz said. "It creates a buzz and an energy on campus. Everyone is talking about it.

"It creates a great game day college atmosphere. [Off campus] you don't create that stir and enthusiasm. I think it would add an awful lot to the program to have the opportunity to play on campus, from the recruiting standpoint and from a student experience on campus."

Currently the majority of USF fans never step a foot on campus. They go to the football games and then head for home. USF athletic director Doug Woolard said RJS is a "tremendous facility" but is intrigued by the idea of the Bulls having an on-campus stadium.

"I think having an on-campus stadium really creates a special atmosphere at a university," Woolard said. "Around 50 percent of the fans that attend college athletic events are non-alumni, so for us to be able to bring 25,000 or more people on this campus six or seven times a year is a real advantage to the university.

"Probably even more for the academic side, for people to see what [uSF President] Judy [Genshaft] has created and expanded and give people a better understanding what an asset USF is."

Even with an on-campus stadium, the Bulls still could have the best of both worlds by continuing to play one game a year at Raymond James Stadium. The Bulls currently are one of nine FBS teams that play off campus.

"While all this is going on you have an opportunity to play in one of the top NFL stadiums in the country," Holtz said. "We do not have a bad deal and it's not something you're looking to sprint away from. But looking into what it would take to do it on campus has merit."

http://www.cbssports.com/collegefoo...ivethru-u-tag-south-florida-needs-own-stadium

Wrong again.

By Brett McMurphy

July 15, 2011

TAMPA, Fla. -- South Florida already plays in one of the top NFL stadiums in the country. However, USF coach Skip Holtz thinks the Bulls can play in an even better stadium.

When the Bulls' program began in 1997 as a Division I-AA independent, it made perfect sense to play in an NFL stadium across town. USF began in the Big Sombrero -- old Tampa Stadium -- before moving next door to the Tampa Bay Bucs' new home at Raymond James Stadium a year later.

Back then, the Bulls didn't need an on-campus stadium. They had a few more pressing needs. The coaches worked out of trailers and, in their first season, the Bulls' rain gear consisted of green Hefty bags.

But this is a different time at USF: much different. The program is beginning its 15th season, the seventh in a BCS conference. The Bulls are no longer a fledgling Division I-AA program or a FBS independent or a Conference USA member. They have new blood and new attitudes ready to embrace another level of commitment.

It's no surprise that the top three reasons the Bulls don't have an on-campus stadium are cash, cash and cash. Holtz is sensitive to those concerns.

"I don't think anyone thinks we should make a commitment to jump into it without putting the studies in place," Holtz said. "What is it going to cost? Where it should be built? That should be looked at -- those are the things to look at to see if it's even feasible.

"It's a very difficult economic time for a lot of universities and a lot of people. You have to be considerate of that with what you're going through. Is now the right time? Let's look at that and find out. It may be a little harder to raise [the funds] now, but it's also cheaper to build."

Having played in an NFL stadium since its inception, USF fans are accustomed to certain perks, such as luxury boxes and club levels. So the Bulls obviously can't just encircle a football field with some aluminum bleachers, like their "friends" at UCF, 90 miles up I-4.

"It would be great to have people from all over the state and country come to this campus and see what's here," Holtz said. "At the same time, there are advantages to playing in one of the top NFL stadiums in the country. If you're going to build a stadium on campus, the commitment has to be there to do it right."

Instead of a stadium like the one at Central Florida, USF would have to build a stadium similar to the University of Minnesota's. The Golden Gophers finished their palace in 2009 -- a $303 million palace.

USF should take notes on how the Golden Gophers got it done. Here's how Minnesota's financing plan worked, according to school officials: state funding $137 million, student fees $13 million, parking $13 million, fundraising $91.9 million, athletics $27.8 million and other payments $20.4 million.

A 25-year naming rights deal to TCF Bank Stadium brought in $35 million. The school has a debt service of $2 million a year and they make their last payment in 2034.

By no longer playing in the Metrodome, Minnesota officials said the net effect is that the school has about $1.5 million per year in additional revenue in the new stadium.

USF currently pays the Tampa Sports Authority, which manages Raymond James Stadium, about $150,000 a year for a license fee. TSA also receives a ticket surcharge equal to 8 percent of each USF ticket sold, not to exceed $2.50 per ticket.

The Bucs also retain the first $2 million in profits from parking and concessions at all of USF's home games so USF gets little, if any, revenue from concessions and parking.

But paying $303 million for a stadium? There's a better chance Jim Leavitt and Seth Greenberg both would return as USF coaches than the school stringing together $303 million.

However, USF doesn't need to duplicate the TCF Bank Stadium or build another 66,000-seat Raymond James Stadium. A 50,000-seat stadium -- with the ability to expand at a later date -- would be perfect and much less expensive.

How expensive? That depends on the school's commitment. UCF's 45,000-seat stadium cost $65 million in 2007 and North Texas' 31,000-seat stadium, which debuts this fall, cost $78 million.

In the past months, USF has made stunning changes on campus. USF has built new stadiums in baseball, softball and soccer, a new basketball practice facility, track and tennis courts and added new football practice fields and an artificial turf all-purpose field.

That came with about a $33.5 million price tag in which no state funds were used. The university also committed $35.6 million to renovate the Sun Dome, USF's home basketball arena. It's expected to be completed in April.

Besides coming up with a solid financial plan -- and don't forget USF will benefit handsomely when the Big East secures a new media rights deal worth at least $1 billion by 2013 -- USF also would have to decide where to build it. The two most popular places are a mall two miles from campus or USF's on-campus golf course. One Big East athletic director told me if he came to USF "the very first thing I would do is blow up the golf course and drop a stadium right there."

Ever since USF was founded in 1956, it's been described as a commuter school. Drive-Thru U. is what comedian Gallagher, a USF graduate, calls his alma mater. One way to forever lose the commuter school tag would be to have an on-campus stadium.

Holtz knows the experience of coaching at schools with on-campus stadiums, such as Notre Dame, Florida State and East Carolina. There is a big difference.

"On the Monday of a big game week, the RVs start pulling into town, the TV trucks, the production trucks," Holtz said. "It creates a buzz and an energy on campus. Everyone is talking about it.

"It creates a great game day college atmosphere. [Off campus] you don't create that stir and enthusiasm. I think it would add an awful lot to the program to have the opportunity to play on campus, from the recruiting standpoint and from a student experience on campus."

Currently the majority of USF fans never step a foot on campus. They go to the football games and then head for home. USF athletic director Doug Woolard said RJS is a "tremendous facility" but is intrigued by the idea of the Bulls having an on-campus stadium.

"I think having an on-campus stadium really creates a special atmosphere at a university," Woolard said. "Around 50 percent of the fans that attend college athletic events are non-alumni, so for us to be able to bring 25,000 or more people on this campus six or seven times a year is a real advantage to the university.

"Probably even more for the academic side, for people to see what [uSF President] Judy [Genshaft] has created and expanded and give people a better understanding what an asset USF is."

Even with an on-campus stadium, the Bulls still could have the best of both worlds by continuing to play one game a year at Raymond James Stadium. The Bulls currently are one of nine FBS teams that play off campus.

"While all this is going on you have an opportunity to play in one of the top NFL stadiums in the country," Holtz said. "We do not have a bad deal and it's not something you're looking to sprint away from. But looking into what it would take to do it on campus has merit."

http://www.cbssports.com/collegefoo...ivethru-u-tag-south-florida-needs-own-stadium

LMFAO!

Another Heifer Troll proven wrong again! Talk about delusional...

[roll]

To be fair I think he said "championships" meaning any kind of championship. Like maybe their first conference championship. Not the national championship.

A city that doesn't care about it's winning team, in it's rented stadium...

Going to the bowl game?

Yet another Heifer troll t-shirt fan. This is getting old. You guys are a dime a dozen. You would better serve your team if you would actually GO to their games. Instead you would rather come here and troll us. Misguided priorities. But there is no one over on the Heifer board to have intelligent conversation with, so I guess I can understand.

Maybe you Heifer trolls should all go over to the Heifer board and hang out together and talk about joining the SEC or something else that isn't delusional. Oh but wait, it still won't be intelligent conversation. Definitely not as good as you would find here. So I guess I can understand.

You want to be like us and hang out with us, even if you get abuse from us. Getting abused by us is better than being ignored over on the Heifer board.

Last edited:
Wrong again.

By Brett McMurphy

July 15, 2011

Ohhh-Burn-Funny-Meme-Picture-For-Whatsapp.jpg

Wrong again.

By Brett McMurphy

July 15, 2011

Bull I was there when they announced Holtz's. You implied he said it when he took over the program. Came much later.

Bull I was there when they announced Holtz's. You implied he said it when he took over the program. Came much later.

Oh brother. don't backtrack now BullJizz. just forget about it here and go back to the Heifer board where you belong.

some serious delusion over there thinking they can get 150+million stadium built anytime soon

remember seeing a recent list of Athletic Donations and USF was ranked 4th-5th in the AAC

You guys are off to a good start in basketball, have an exciting first year football coach, and have a bowl game TOMORROW. How sad is it that this thread is STILL at the top of the list in this forum?? Get. Off. Our. Nuts!

You guys are off to a good start in basketball, have an exciting first year football coach, and have a bowl game TOMORROW. How sad is it that this thread is STILL at the top of the list in this forum?? Get. Off. Our. Nuts!

Why don't you quit coming here? you don't add anything intelligent to the convo oh delusional one that goes shopping with his mommy.

You are the one that loves us. you keep coming here to troll. I see why you keep coming back you love us and want to be like us. and the Heifer fans on theHeiferPen.com all are delusional anyway.

All two of the Heifer fans over there any way.

Going to your bowl game t-shirt fan? doubtful. your team plays in a rented stadium, wins 10 games and your city and students don't care.

You get off ours PoorLittleOwen that goes shopping with his mommy.

And how can we because you don't have any because you are a Heifer!

Wrong again.

By Brett McMurphy

July 15, 2011

The way I read it was they would do a study to see if it was feasible. He didn't guarantee an OCS. Sounded like he liked playing in NFL stadium.

The way I read it was they would do a study to see if it was feasible. He didn't guarantee an OCS.

Never said he guaranteed an on-campus stadium....I was just responding to another clueless cow that stated "Holtz never said anything about an OCS".

Holtz said the idea of an on-campus stadium had merit and spoke publicly about all of the advantages for students/alumni that an on-campus stadium can bring...and that was a COMPLETE change from his predecessor, hence why this story was coverage so heavily in the TB market.

Problem with most cows (besides that there are so few of them), they don't follow their program that closely (or show up at games) so they don't even know what their HC say to the press.

Last edited:
Reactions: LemmyKilmister
... Problem with most cows (besides that there are so few of them), they don't follow their program that closely (or show up at games) so they don't even know what their HC say to the press.

Well said KL. Their own delusions prevent them from seeing this.

And it's back to the top again just because it bothers you. :sunglasses:

Reactions: LemmyKilmister
Charlie Strong will be long gone before the Heifers have their own OCS.

Actually I am not so sure. Strong is 56 years old. That is not super old for a coach, but he is no spring chicken either. Right now he has a deal where he cant really be fired for the next 4-5 years. They will not fire him in years 1&2 and after that the salary goes up so much that USF would not be able to buy him out. So they only way he leaves if some big program calls him up. I don't see that happening. I think Strong is going to be their O'Leary. He will be there for a long time and I think he will do good things for them.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT