ADVERTISEMENT

Coach Frost on ESPN SportsCenter with SVP

Funny. All these P5 programs and our coach from the little G5 UCF is getting all the National recognition

ESPN Gameday
Jim Rome
SVP

Reactions: JAFFX2
Great interview except ONE little tiny thing he said at the end. In a longer version of this interview, when SVP asks him about his name coming up for other job, right at about the 3:27 mark he says he's "looking forward to spending the rest of the YEAR with these guys". Again, I'm probably reading into it too much, but why say year instead of foreseeable future or a long time? IDK it could just be me. I got the video link thru the UCF app, so it may just be on there.

Reactions: 80'sKnight
Great interview except ONE little tiny thing he said at the end. In a longer version of this interview, when SVP asks him about his name coming up for other job, right at about the 3:27 mark he says he's "looking forward to spending the rest of the YEAR with these guys". Again, I'm probably reading into it too much, but why say year instead of foreseeable future or a long time? IDK it could just be me. I got the video link thru the UCF app, so it may just be on there.

Do his exact words really matter? He’s talked about it at length with every reporting avenue and, regardless of what he says, if he gets a offered a better opportunity he will take it (and should).

And the better he does at UCF this season, the better the competing opportunities will be...no need to be afraid of that.

Do his exact words really matter? He’s talked about it at length with every reporting avenue and, regardless of what he says, if he gets a offered a better opportunity he will take it (and should).

And the better he does at UCF this season, the better the competing opportunities will be...no need to be afraid of that.

Listen, I'm just insecure from a bad breakup, ok? lol she told me she wouldn't leave anytime soon either! LOLOL!

Reactions: UCFBS
Listen, I'm just insecure from a bad breakup, ok? lol she told me she wouldn't leave anytime soon either! LOLOL!
Would you take her back? UCF fans probably would and should if Frost ever left.

Any school that Frost would be interested would have very very high expectations to succeed. In some situations, it simply may not be possible.

However, this is all waaaaaaay premature

This. I wouldn't really be concerned about Frost leaving. We know that he isn't leaving UCF for a middle of the road P5 school or poor recruiting territory. He had the chance to go to Syracuse and turned them down. Tennessee and Nebraska, while they have history and deep pockets, are middle of the pack in their conference and have disadvantages. Frost understands that success (and fast success) involves having leverage against the schools that you play against. He would never have this kind of turn around at UConn or Tulane. Haves vs have nots. Right now, I don't see an upper echelon P5 job opening this year.

This. I wouldn't really be concerned about Frost leaving. We know that he isn't leaving UCF for a middle of the road P5 school or poor recruiting territory. He had the chance to go to Syracuse and turned them down. Tennessee and Nebraska, while they have history and deep pockets, are middle of the pack in their conference and have disadvantages. Frost understands that success (and fast success) involves having leverage against the schools that you play against. He would never have this kind of turn around at UConn or Tulane. Haves vs have nots. Right now, I don't see an upper echelon P5 job opening this year.
You're exactly right

He MAY take it. He doesnt make that much less as it stands compared to your average P5 coach (minus the sabans, meyers etc). Coaching hot seat tells you yearly salary and hes pretty advanced as far as his, i we could get him from 2 up to 3 million, hes dead on even ahead of most decent P5 coaches. I think he truly realizes the potential in this school and the area. like i said yesterday, we arent a little dinky program like Western Michigan or someone who doesnt have a big fan base or nice metropolitan area/fertile recruiting in its backyard.

We have way more factors than just money to consider.

We need to start preparing ourselves for the inevitable. Sometime in the next 2 years, he's gone.

Something has to open up. Here are the type of schools that Frost most likely goes to next:

Florida
Florida State
Clemson
Alabama
LSU
Texas
Texas A&M
USC
Washington
Ohio State

Texas A&M and LSU are the only ones that might be open. Then an AD has to be cool with the program changing from a pass or pro-style offense. Do you think UF, FSU or USC would be okay with that? I don't. This year, Texas A&M is the most likely to steal Frost.

Funny. All these P5 programs and our coach from the little G5 UCF is getting all the National recognition
That's the plus side for UCF of all the Frost - Nebraska speculation. We'll take it!

Or perhaps we are the flavor of the week, and deserve the attention. It certainly won't happen by beating lesser AAC schools.

Something has to open up. Here are the type of schools that Frost most likely goes to next:

Florida
Florida State
Clemson
Alabama
LSU
Texas
Texas A&M
USC
Washington
Ohio State

Texas A&M and LSU are the only ones that might be open. Then an AD has to be cool with the program changing from a pass or pro-style offense. Do you think UF, FSU or USC would be okay with that? I don't. This year, Texas A&M is the most likely to steal Frost.
And thats IF he wants to take over a program with a few internal issues and is in the middle of NOWHERE.

A&M doing well except for blowing the lead to UCLA. The problem is the inflated expectations by the boosters. They moved to the SEC to get out from taking orders from UT and to get into a more lucrative conference. Same with Mizzou. But they need to learn (as Penn St. had to, too) that joining one of the big 2 conferences of the P5 means you aren't gonna win as many games!

Until UCF, or any school in the AAC for that matter, makes it into a P5 Conference (if it ever happens), coaches will cycle in and out as it's proven that this is the P5 training ground for coaches. It's the world we live in. Good thing is, we're known and now proven to have ability to compete so we'll always have up and coming coaches wanting to come here.

Reactions: Knight_Light
A&M doing well except for blowing the lead to UCLA. The problem is the inflated expectations by the boosters. They moved to the SEC to get out from taking orders from UT and to get into a more lucrative conference. Same with Mizzou. But they need to learn (as Penn St. had to, too) that joining one of the big 2 conferences of the P5 means you aren't gonna win as many games!

Texas A&M has the best potential in the $EC. Best recruiting area, most money and you don't have to live in the shadow of a legendary head coach.

Too much FIU-only highlight, virtually no Maryland and Memphis.

It's the Saban effect. He has built such a monster at Alabama that it's hurting the Coaches in his division. Not only do his teams beat you but they are so physical that they take out a few of your players effecting attrition. Look how Bama effected Florida State, they broke them.

Sumlin in the Pac12 would not have had these issues. If A&M would just have a little more patience with him I think he could work out if Bama ever starts to plateau as a Program.

Texas A&M has the best potential in the $EC. Best recruiting area, most money and you don't have to live in the shadow of a legendary head coach.
To a degree you're right. They often gave OU and UT a run for their money. But the state of Texas now has a ton of FBS schools to compete for recruits (and OU and OSU heavily mine Texas for recruits). Worse yet, there are five P5 schools in Texas, more than much higher population California and proportionally more than Florida's 3! Mizzou is the ONLY P5 school in that state, by comparison. Lastly, football success is largely based on your coach, as UT (with the biggest budget in the nation as well as great recruits each year) has discovered for the past 9 years.

It's the Saban effect. He has built such a monster at Alabama that it's hurting the Coaches in his division. Not only do his teams beat you but they are so physical that they take out a few of your players effecting attrition. Look how Bama effected Florida State, they broke them.

Sumlin in the Pac12 would not have had these issues. If A&M would just have a little more patience with him I think he could work out if Bama ever starts to plateau as a Program.

Agree. Saban is making solid coaches like Kevin Sumlin, Mark Richt, Butch Jones and Bret Bielema lose their jobs.

With the salaries the have/had, fringes, and buyouts, it's hard to be too sympathetic. Think of all the good coaches who never get such a job. In the pros and often in college, former coaches just take coordinator positions.

I think you all are forgetting Ego. If Frost really does love his old team, do you really think he doesn't believe he can get them whipped into National Championship form? You may think it's a mid-to lower tier P5, I doubt he does.

Reactions: BlakNGoldAllDay
I think you all are forgetting Ego. If Frost really does love his old team, do you really think he doesn't believe he can get them whipped into National Championship form? You may think it's a mid-to lower tier P5, I doubt he does.
Ego? He didnt even want to go to Nebraska or consider it until after he was already committed elsewhere and Tom Osborne convinced him.
Yes he may love his alma mater, but he also realizes they are in a crap hole as far as boosters, program position, they have pretty much no depth and the overhaul of the offense alone would take 3-4 years. 3-4 years of basically missing his kid growing up while he overhauls yet another program with WAY WAY more pressure on him and forcing his family to live in BF nebraska.

None of us know his true intentions but all we can go off right now are the reports and rumors during the Coaching Carousel where an 0-12 UCF shocked everyone in hiring Frost. Everything points to him choosing the best situation relative to their peers to win and win big. The rumor is that he at least officially turned down Syracuse and possibly Maryland as well despite both being in Power Conferences. That shows that he is smart enough to know what is a good fit and the geography advantage.

Compare that to the rumors surrounding Dino Babers during that same Coaching Carousel. There were rumors that he was very condescending towards UCF during the process and in his mind probably viewed Syracuse as a better job only bc they are in the ACC. I have a feeling in a few years after he keeps hitting the Florida State, Clemson, and Vtech wall he might regret that decision.

Reactions: firm_bizzle
None of us know his true intentions but all we can go off right now are the reports and rumors during the Coaching Carousel where an 0-12 UCF shocked everyone in hiring Frost. Everything points to him choosing the best situation relative to their peers to win and win big. The rumor is that he at least officially turned down Syracuse and possibly Maryland as well despite both being in Power Conferences. That shows that he is smart enough to know what is a good fit and the geography advantage.

Compare that to the rumors surrounding Dino Babers during that same Coaching Carousel. There were rumors that he was very condescending towards UCF during the process and in his mind probably viewed Syracuse as a better job only bc they are in the ACC. I have a feeling in a few years after he keeps hitting the Florida State, Clemson, and Vtech wall he might regret that decision.

I was thinking about Babers the other day. What a dumb move.

I was thinking about Babers the other day. What a dumb move.
I remember a lot of people making fun of me because I said didn't see Babers as an "upgrade" from GoL, but a "downgrade." The last thing I wanted was a "Babers type."

I didn't want some G5 hand-me-down, one who didn't look that original either.
I wanted a proven, P5 coordinator, or a fired P5 head coach that had 'already made money.'
Mark Richt was near the top of my list.

When we got Frost, even as an alleged "GoL nuthugger", I was exceedingly happy. Remember, I wasn't saying "O'Leary is god," but more, "be careful what you wish for" (you "grass is always greener" people).

Last edited:
However, not one person ever thought about Frost.
I did. I just didn't think he would remotely want to come here -- especially after the prior year at Oregon, when he downplayed the rumors of wanting to leave.** I was wrong, dead wrong. That's why I was looking at a Richt type.

**Again, did Frost leave Oregon at just the right time or what? ;)

The issue causing all this stir is that we got good so fast. It's like one day we are 0-12, then Arkansas St is crushing us and the next day we are ranked 25th. It's shocking really, but a fun ride through 3 games. Hope it continues

Reactions: Poolside Knight
I remember it broke late at night and I was floored. I remember the board being worried about the lack of Florida ties but the offense alone had me excited.
We were even mentioning a coach from UNLV or something right up until the announcement.

I remember a lot of people making fun of me because I said didn't see Babers as an "upgrade" from GoL, but a "downgrade." The last thing I wanted was a "Babers type."

I didn't want some G5 hand-me-down, one who didn't look that original either.
I wanted a proven, P5 coordinator, or a fired P5 head coach that had 'already made money.'
Mark Richt was near the top of my list.

When we got Frost, even as an alleged "GoL nuthugger", I was exceedingly happy. Remember, I wasn't saying "O'Leary is god," but more, "be careful what you wish for" (you "grass is always greener" people).

yeah I remember when reading about Frost from Oregon fans(who seemed to not like him) they mentioned that he basically was Chip Kelly's shadow. Well we might be seeing all the organizational traits that he picked up from Chip coming together here at UCF.

Reactions: UCFBS
I remember it broke late at night and I was floored. I remember the board being worried about the lack of Florida ties but the offense alone had me excited.
I was one of those guys that was worried about recruiting as well, as much as I loved his system and still thought he was a killer hire. He quickly proved us very, very wrong within a month, and definitively well within 90 days (by NSD).

yeah I remember when reading about Frost from Oregon fans(who seemed to not like him) they mentioned that he basically was Chip Kelly's shadow. Well we might be seeing all the organizational traits that he picked up from Chip coming together here at UCF.
Yeah, they seemed to have downplayed his significance. But I already thought they were "just being sore" with the, "You go to Florida for Disney, not football," BS. I give every man (or woman) a chance to prove themselves.

That was your guy! Lol. I must admit, I wanted Cristobal.

However, not one person ever thought about Frost.

Yep. I was all about the Babes. Proven track record, and high powered offense. I think he would have been fine here but our defense would not have been as good. Holman would have gotten draft though.

Reactions: Mikesi

I'll admit I was the one concerned about the lack of Florida high school connection. I too was DEAD wrong! I've eaten my crow, but happy to do it each and every day Frost stays here. We are lucky to have him!

The other big factor was that Dawkins and Frost were lifetime P5 people with records of being associated with national championship programs! Together with Danny White's limitless connections, the football networking and their national respect is an outrageous coup for UCF. Everything about the athletic programs screams P5 establishment. The rest of the AAC school have got to be incredibly jealous.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT