ADVERTISEMENT

College Gameday Tips

UCFandMizzou

Three-Star Recruit
Sep 11, 2018
SWFL
Sorry if this should've been in the other thread.

As you can tell from my username I went to Mizzou before I transferred back home to Florida and attended UCF. During my junior year at UCF, Gameday went to Columbia, Missouri for our game against OU, and I wasn't going to miss it.

I made the drive with a friend, and it was one of the most insane and fun sporting event experiences I have had. I thought giving some tips from my experience there might be helpful.

Disclaimer: This was eight years ago so I don't know if they've changed it at all.

1. Find out where they are setting up and LINE UP EARLY. We got to campus around 3 or 4 AM and the line had already started forming. It was cold in Missouri, thankfully we will have nicer weather in Orlando. Even waiting in line was a blast. There was an incredible feel of community, people were sharing their flasks, passing out shots, etc. It was nuts and a blast.

Edit: I should note this times were central time zone.

2. I believe they started letting people into the Gameday area about 2 hours before the show started, maybe it was only one hour I can't remember 100%. There are two sections. The "pit" which is the section right by the stage and then behind that is everyone else. When it comes to signs, if you want to get into the pit you have to be more careful with the sign. They check them for getting into that section of it, but not for the rest of it.

3. Drinking. They let us bring coolers into the general admission portion but not the pit. There were so many flasks in the pit and everyone was sharing. If you want to drink during the show just be prepared.

4. Don't be a dick. I know we have a rivalry with ESPN right now, and rightfully so, but this is such a cool experience. During commercial breaks the host pump up the crowd and share friendly banter. This is what college football is all about. Make fun of Kirk and ESPN with your signs, playfully boo them when they talk crap about us, that's what this show is about.

5. Pace yourself! This was one of the longest days of my life and I went hard starting at 4 AM in line to get in. It was also a night kick-off that day, and Mizzou homecoming. I ended up falling asleep for about 2-3 hours in the middle of the day on a couch in the student union. I hope UCF opens the parking lots up early for this.

I'm so mad I have class for my MBA program this weekend and had to give up my tickets (I should just skip class). I hope everyone who goes has a blast and shows the country how Knight Nation tailgates!

As I said before, this was the best college football experience of my life. I know some of you went to Jacksonville, but I highly doubt that compared to it being on campus.

Charge On!

I went a couple weeks ago at FL-GA and most of your points haven’t changed since 8 years ago.

My biggest takeaways:

The line for the pit at FL-GA was amazingly sparse at 4am. Granted it wasn’t on campus, next to 3,000 dorms. When we were figuring out times to get there UCF athletics said the pit, which holds a couple hundred people, would not be accessible if you showed up after 3:30 am on a typical on campus gameday. Some tips about the pit:

1. Yes you want to be in the front row or two if you want your sign visible.

2. Your sign in the pit cannot be on a stick, post, or pole. You have to hold it by hand

3. Limit the number of words on your sign to make it more readable.

4. Pit opened between 5:45 and 6 am for the 9 am start

5. They wand you and pat you down to enter pit

6. No water bottles, markers, pens, or bags, allowed in pit

7. You better not have to pee once you enter and get your spot.

8. It’s really boring when they go to commercial, do a profile in courage, or interview the coaches on the side stage

9. They thoroughly review every sign brought in. No political statements, no .coms, nothing vulgar

Outside the pit the rules are less strict but if you want on tv you need to put your sign on a 23 foot painters pole

I went a couple weeks ago at FL-GA and most of your points haven’t changed since 8 years ago.

My biggest takeaways:

The line for the pit at FL-GA was amazingly sparse at 4am. Granted it wasn’t on campus, next to 3,000 dorms. When we were figuring out times to get there UCF athletics said the pit, which holds a couple hundred people, would not be accessible if you showed up after 3:30 am on a typical on campus gameday. Some tips about the pit:

1. Yes you want to be in the front row or two if you want your sign visible.

2. Your sign in the pit cannot be on a stick, post, or pole. You have to hold it by hand

3. Limit the number of words on your sign to make it more readable.

4. Pit opened between 5:45 and 6 am for the 9 am start

5. They wand you and pat you down to enter pit

6. No water bottles, markers, pens, or bags, allowed in pit

8. It’s really boring when they go to commercial, do a profile in courage, or interview the coaches on the side stage

9. They thoroughly review every sign brought in. No political statements, no .coms, nothing vulgar

Outside the pit the rules are less strict but if you want on tv you need to put your sign on a 23 foot painters pole
where is the picture of your sign?

My biggest takeaways:

I may not be remembering 100% correctly, but if I recall we were given a wristband upon entering the pit which allowed us to leave and comeback. So if you're there with other people they can hold your spot. I don't remember having an issue roaming a little and getting back to where I was inside the pit.

Reactions: ucfversusbcs
I may not be remembering 100% correctly, but if I recall we were given a wristband upon entering the pit which allowed us to leave and comeback. So if you're there with other people they can hold your spot. I don't remember having an issue roaming a little and getting back to where I was inside the pit.
I wasn’t given a wristband but maybe I just missed it when I walked past security. Maybe someone else can chime in on that part

Reactions: Stormthecourt?
And just for the record, anyone planning on throwing a smoothie on stage, it won’t work. They have a thin mesh screen that is pulled down separating the hosts from the pit. Kinda hard to see it on tv.

Just for the record tonight if you want to get front row of the pit behind the GD stage the line should start directly in the back middle of the pit. This small corral is where you enter and leave the pit and it’s where they will pat you down when you enter the first time.

No one from Gameday will be there overnight to direct anyone and the security people that will be there are oblivious to anything other than protecting the stage and cameras

Reactions: Knight Strength
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT