ADVERTISEMENT

Colorado has not allowed a 100-yard rusher this season.

AuburnLegacy_1

Silver Knight
Feb 4, 2022
Ucf Football GIF by UCF Knights

UCF leads the nation in rushing offense. The Knights have the nation's 5th-ranked rushing defense.

The latter statistic is misleading, however, for two reasons: (1) UCF opponents are averaging 2.58 yards per carry, which is really, really good, but not necessarily "elite," and (2) the UCF defense has faced only 76 rushing attempts--third lowest nationally--because NOBODY UCF FACES RUNS THE DAMN BALL!

Point in case: Colorado ranks 129 out of 134 teams in rushing offense, averaging 68.8 yards per game on just 26.5 rushing attempts per game.

In fact, Utah (29), Cincinnati (33), Arizona State (34), and West Virginia (50) are the only top 50 rushing offenses on UCF's schedule.

Ucf Football GIF by UCF Knights

UCF leads the nation in rushing offense. The Knights have the nation's 5th-ranked rushing defense.

The latter statistic is misleading, however, for two reasons: (1) UCF opponents are averaging 2.58 yards per carry, which is really, really good, but not necessarily "elite," and (2) the UCF defense has faced only 76 rushing attempts--third lowest nationally--because NOBODY UCF FACES RUNS THE DAMN BALL!

Point in case: Colorado ranks 129 out of 134 teams in rushing offense, averaging 68.8 yards per game on just 26.5 rushing attempts per game.

In fact, Utah (29), Cincinnati (33), Arizona State (34), and West Virginia (50) are the only top 50 rushing offenses on UCF's schedule.
So you’re saying 30% of the teams we face have a top 50 rushing attack?

But they certainly give up over 3 yrds a carry to FCS, 4.3 a rush to Nebraska, 4.2 to Col. St. 149 yrd Nebraska ran on them, 131 given up to Col. St. You said it, nobody runs as much as UCF's 1900s offense, so giving up 4+ yards a carry to non-Harvey RB, seems like a good day for UCF.

So you’re saying 30% of the teams we face have a top 50 rushing attack?
No. For perspective, I am saying 6 opponents (46%) from 2023 fielded Top 30 rushing offenses:

West Virginia (5), Cincinnati (6), Kansas (8), Kansas State (11), Georgia Tech (13), and Oklahoma (29). The best rushing offense UCF is scheduled to face in 2024 is Utah currently ranked at 29.

So...UCF's rushing defense is better than last year because (a) opponents suck at rushing, (b) nobody runs the football worth a sh*t in the PAC-12, and (c) the Knights are more talented/fundamentally/schematically sound (i.e., coaching) against the run.

Sound but not truly "elite."

I don’t think it’ll be easy to run on them. They’re gonna put Hunter on Hudson to try and lock him down and then load the box like Prime said and make us beat them throwing it. Even so, I think Harvey will get his 100, but it will be a tough 100.

I don’t think it’ll be easy to run on them. They’re gonna put Hunter on Hudson to try and lock him down and then load the box like Prime said and make us beat them throwing it. Even so, I think Harvey will get his 100, but it will be a tough 100.
Agree, no way they don't throw everything to stop him. If anything though this is the time to flex our RB depth and get Boone and Montgomery involved to lighten the load. Even if Harvey didn't get 100, it'd be a win to have the others at 50+.

Reactions: ucfjosh2000
Would love to see some split back plays to confuse the defense. Doesn't seem like we ever use those.
Gus's signature offensive identity used to be two backs.

"Malzahn's system is a run-first, two-back power-spread attack that thrives on tempo. It's simple to diagnose but difficult to shut down."

My seats are in the North end zone and for the Sam Houston game when UCF was coming towards the North End Zone for the snap I couldn't tell which way the football was going. That RPO is very difficult to figure out and the defense has to stay in their lanes and not bite on the fake sweep, Qb draw, RB off Tackle or play action. RJ Jefferson is very good at disguising where the football is and coupled with UCF speed next thing you know it's 7.6 yards and a cloud of dust, sometime's touchdown. It's a great way to control the clock and tire out the defense. Tomorrow's game is going to very fun and interesting.

Tough sledding all day. Just wasn’t our night and turnovers killed us. Really wish Harvey could have gotten in the end zone on that one play where he was just short. He wanted it so bad.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT