ADVERTISEMENT

Could UCF be impacted by the new redshirt rule?

Brandon

Publisher
Staff
May 28, 2001
Winter Park, FL
www.ucfsports.com
The new redshirt rule is obviously attracting a lot of attention in the past week or so with the announcements from Clemson QB Kelly Bryant, Auburn WR Nate Craig-Myers and others who are essentially leaving their teams after four games in order to preserve their redshirt with the intent of transferring elsewhere after the season.

UCF will play their fourth game on Saturday. I hesitated making this post - but I'm sure some of y'all were curious about who this rule could possibly apply to.

Generally speaking, it would have to be a senior who did not redshirt previously or perhaps a junior who enrolled early (and were further ahead academically). From a cursory look at the roster, these players would have the option (I'm listing everybody):

RB Taj McGowan
WR Tristan Payton
DE Titus Davis
WR Cam Stewart
CB Rashard Causey
LB Gabriel Luyanda
CB Keenan Johnson
DL Aaron Cochran
OL Tyler Hudanick
LB Pat Jasinski

Looking at the list, the vast majority are starters or major contributors. The only players on there who have not seen much action this year are the two wide receivers, Cam Stewart and Tristan Payton.

Again, I haven't heard anything. I'm kind of curious about one player as I'm sure y'all are too. I just thought I'd put it out there.

I linked Dan Wolken's column below which I thought was pretty good in outlining things from the QB's perspective.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News