ADVERTISEMENT

Could we have ended slavery without war?

Crazyhole

Todd's Tiki Bar
Jun 4, 2004
just a weird thought. Did we really need a war? Why couldn't the North have just come up with an economic package that the south would agree with?

just a weird thought. Did we really need a war? Why couldn't the North have just come up with an economic package that the south would agree with?

We didn’t need a war. However, back then, things were a lot more archaic. The north wasn’t just going to just send the south a check to end slavery. In reality, the war was about more than just slavery

We're still arguing in the year 2020 whether or not we should have statues honoring the traitor generals who fought against us---and you're wondering if we could have ended slavery without a war?!??!?

It's a nice thought, Crazy. But I don't think so.

We didn’t need a war. However, back then, things were a lot more archaic. The north wasn’t just going to just send the south a check to end slavery. In reality, the war was about more than just slavery

Slavery probably would have ended eventually no matter what. In a lot of ways, Lincoln actually did a disservice to the country by expanding the authority of the federal government. He didnt care about slavery and was a huge racist himself.

1.) The war was about slavery
2.) The immoral south wasn't going to give up slavery without war
3.) Don't forget that the South started the war

1.) The war was about slavery
2.) The immoral south wasn't going to give up slavery without war
3.) Don't forget that the South started the war

For the south it was about slavery. For the north it was about money and power.

"The Slave must be made fit for his freedom by education and discipline, and thus made unfit for slavery. And as soon as he becomes unfit for slavery, the master will no longer desire to hold him as a slave."

"I will say then that I am not, nor ever have been, in favor of bringing about in any way the social and political equality of the white and black races, that I am not nor ever have been in favor of making voters or jurors of negroes, nor of qualifying them to hold office, nor to intermarry with white people; and I will say in addition to this that there is a physical difference between the white and black races which I believe will forever forbid the two races living together on terms of social and political equality. And inasmuch as they cannot so live, while they do remain together there must be the position of superior and inferior, and I as much as any other man am in favor of having the superior position assigned to the white race"

Which one of those statements do you agree with?

I'll add this one:

"I am not pro slavery. I think it is a curse beyond computation, to both black and white." Moreover, he contended that the repeal of the Missouri Compromise would "work to the advancement of freedom," ensuring that slavery could "no longer crouch behind a line which Freedom is cut off from crossing."

Last edited:
"The Slave must be made fit for his freedom by education and discipline, and thus made unfit for slavery. And as soon as he becomes unfit for slavery, the master will no longer desire to hold him as a slave."

"I will say then that I am not, nor ever have been, in favor of bringing about in any way the social and political equality of the white and black races, that I am not nor ever have been in favor of making voters or jurors of negroes, nor of qualifying them to hold office, nor to intermarry with white people; and I will say in addition to this that there is a physical difference between the white and black races which I believe will forever forbid the two races living together on terms of social and political equality. And inasmuch as they cannot so live, while they do remain together there must be the position of superior and inferior, and I as much as any other man am in favor of having the superior position assigned to the white race"

Which one of those statements do you agree with?

I'll add this one:

"I am not pro slavery. I think it is a curse beyond computation, to both black and white." Moreover, he contended that the repeal of the Missouri Compromise would "work to the advancement of freedom," ensuring that slavery could "no longer crouch behind a line which Freedom is cut off from crossing."

The first quote was by Jefferson Davis.
The 2nd quote was by Abraham Lincoln.
The 3rd was by Stephen Douglas.

Funny how Abe is painted as the hero.

Well because slavery is kind of wrong period. That would be like giving a sex trafficker an economic package to make up for the money he will lose by not having sex slaves to make money off of...the South were a bunch of unethical, inhumane and barbaric poo-seas who held people against their will as slaves...do you feel they "deserved" an economic package?

Well because slavery is kind of wrong period. That would be like giving a sex trafficker an economic package to make up for the money he will lose by not having sex slaves to make money off of...the South were a bunch of unethical, inhumane and barbaric poo-seas who held people against their will as slaves...do you feel they "deserved" an economic package?
So we needed to kill people? Seems kind of barbaric in itself.

So we needed to kill people? Seems kind of barbaric in itself.

And slavery wasnt barbaric? lol Losing lives to FREE a bunch of people being brutalized, raped, tortured and held against their will wasnt worth it? We should have just paid the South some money and asked them nicely to free the slaves? Those BLACK slaves werent worth losing lives for huh? This is the land of the free right? I mean didnt we risk Americans lives to stop paying taxes to England? Risk lives to kill the Native Americans and Mexicans so that we can steal their land? You sound like a moron in this post.

Last edited:
Reactions: firm_bizzle
And slavery wasnt barbaric? lol Losing lives to FREE a bunch of people being brutalized, raped, tortured and held against their will wasnt worth it? We should have just paid the South some money and asked them nicely to free the slaves? Those BLACK slaves werent worth losing lives for huh? This is the land of the free right? I mean didnt we risk Americans lives to stop paying taxes to England? Risk lives to kill the Native Americans and Mexicans so that we can steal their land? You sound like a moron in this post.
Im not sure I follow your point. Are you saying that force of arms is/was the only option available because it’s been the only option that we’ve used? That another reason to go to war was because it would’ve been disrespectful to use money to end the practice of slavery in this country?

This post really doesn't make any sense, but I'll go with it.

Should the northerners that owned slaves have been killed as well because slavery is so barbaric? Or were the northern slave owners nice to their slaves and thats why Lincoln exempted them in the emancipation proclamation? And beyond that, they gave up their slaves without being taken to war.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT