ADVERTISEMENT

Daniels: Breakdown of last 12 teams that moved to or changed P5 Conferences: Conference Jumping Doesn't Always Equate To Wins

Knight_Light

GOL's Inner Circle
Gold Member
May 29, 2001
Thought this question was telling:

But for the dozen teams who moved since 2011, how many have improved their football brand?

Outside of financial gains....not many have "improved" their football brand.

For article and record breakdown:

Weird article because the two teams that impressed the most were teams that moved from G5 to P5. The rest were have/never beens that just jumped from one P5 to another.

Reactions: muckdawg24
well we were "promoted" so our scenario is different that a lot of these teams that took more of a lateral move.

I fully expect us to struggle for a few seasons as we adjust the the other teams in the league and build enough depth.

Some of the schools were woefully overmatched. Rutgers, Maryland, Missouri were never going to go to Big10/SEC and dominate. Vast majority of schools (practically all) would fail to make a mark in those conferences in the first decade. Texas A&M have essentially unlimited resources/support and its a struggle.

While TCU maybe this beacon of G5 greatness, against Oklahoma they are 2-10 since joining B12.

Taking the two teams that have accounted for 14 of the last 21 conference championships should make things a lot easier. Just like if you took away Clemson and Florida State from ACC.

Our biggest advantage over, well 80% of these teams is our fertile recruiting area. But we will find that a lack of depth on both lines will keep us down to .500 overall for the first few years. We really need to start locking down the O-town to Tampa corridor.

If counting the Big East, more than just 2 moved from non-major to major, and 1 team that he should know well, actually won the league after coming from C-USA. I wonder who that was?

Some of the schools were woefully overmatched. Rutgers, Maryland, Missouri were never going to go to Big10/SEC and dominate. Vast majority of schools (practically all) would fail to make a mark in those conferences in the first decade. Texas A&M have essentially unlimited resources/support and its a struggle.

While TCU maybe this beacon of G5 greatness, against Oklahoma they are 2-10 since joining B12.

Taking the two teams that have accounted for 14 of the last 21 conference championships should make things a lot easier. Just like if you took away Clemson and Florida State from ACC.
The last 4 teams to play in the Big 12 Conf Championship Game were not named Oklahoma or Texas.

Big 12 will be one of the best overall conf in regards to not many, if any, weak teams that offer bye weeks during conf play...like in the Big Ten, ACC, Pac 12 and even some in the SEC.

PS. Of course all of these teams switched conferences BEFORE NIL was a "legal" thing (some say A&M and others were doing it illegally for a very long time) so the game is somewhat different today...as now with Free Agency....bigger programs can just legally buy recruits AND "buy" even your current players off your roster.

I wish UCF would have made the jump before NIL/Free Agency...but one has to adjust to the current times of today.

well we were "promoted" so our scenario is different that a lot of these teams that took more of a lateral move.

I fully expect us to struggle for a few seasons as we adjust the the other teams in the league and build enough depth.
I think we'll struggle for the first 2 seasons in the BIG12 because of recruiting and Dawkin's "no emotion" coaching or passion. I still haven't figured out what his assistant coaches do.

Reactions: BlakNGoldAllDay
He left out Miami.Miami has yet to win a conference title in the ACC. Their move has really not planned out on the field . Our move the BigXII is going to make recruiting for them a bit harder going forward . I don't expect UCF to be an elite team in the conference for at least 4-5 years down the road . It's going to take some solid recruiting and coaching to get there . I will happy with a middle of pack finish over the next couple of years. Cheese it Bowl or Independence Bowl here we come . 😆.

I fully expect the critics to print stuff like "see they can't hack it" if we struggle. Same tired reasoning when folks think that comparing resources from a G5 thing to P5 is an apples to apples comparison.

Exactly what will happen. Facts are, an elite G5 team can compete with the elite P5 teams in a one off bowl/playoff. They can get under recruited guys and develop, can get a key transfer or 2, they can get a Diamond in the rough qb or transfer qb. But the G5 teams lack the depth to compete in a full season of the top conferences. We all assume that but will never really know. When comparing resources, it’s amazing what we have been through. A 12 team playoff should at least get in a G5 Cinderella in and be able to see what happens. This FAU run in March Madness is crazy and unprecedented. It’s a future 30 for 30, I really hope they win just for the old heads to blow their mind.

Reactions: FoxKnight
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT