ADVERTISEMENT

Bianchi UCF/USF Big 12 Editorial

PositYourself

Bronze Knight
Dec 28, 2021

Let’s hope new stadium helps USF join UCF in Big 12 | Commentary​

Forgive me, UCF fans, for what I am about to say.
Don’t take it personally.
Don’t cancel me.
It’s nothing against UCF.
[COLOR=var(--titleBarColor)]Top Videos - Golden Knights Stanley Cup celebration[COLOR=var(--smartMenuButtonColor)]menu[/COLOR]

Next

Stay
email.png

volume_off
-1:03
sd
fullscreen
Auto (225p)

225p

360p

480p

720p

Subtitles Off
27355481652931602648e916f570772.00682751.jpg

usf-ucf-new-stadium-big12
Golden Knights Stanley Cup celebration

Sport |

1:03
z0rvehqr4prhoescjmnx34qmnbm9g23p.jpg

Saturday's best in < 10 minutes

MLB |

8:29
9h3n735xz7jlg5m8x1p368ejfbubtz0p.jpg

Rays vs. Padres Highlights - Blake Snell's 12 Ks leads Padres to 2-0 win over Rays

MLB |

0:32
27351321163432154648e18f76e22d1.66545249.jpg

ESPN FPI Gives Texas a 54.4% Chance of Winning the Big 12 in 2023

|

1:23
n3rk4fx7r85tty4iqs7gu7btm5ugxe42.jpg

News 12 Reporter Witnesses Dramatic Rescue on Long Island

Sport |

3:13
27287407927789736489662791cce0.99715923.jpg

Celebrities, fans celebrate the Golden Knights

Sport |

1:13
1-19453533rp4s7sp69020811ns7r571pn.jpg

Betting Options for the U.S. Open

Sport |

3:15
7r6kqyfk1t2tahhp9g3tcx9uhwp87y9n.jpg

Disciplinary Committee: ORL-COL Galvan Failure to leave the field 39min

MLS |

1:11
xivmgvourfbkchc1ifme0wsfgkr6fy51.jpg

Hamlin makes contact with wall in Turn 12 at Sonoma

NASCAR |

1:31[/COLOR]
In fact, in the long run, I believe it will help UCF.
Here’s what I want to say:
Go Bulls!

Go USF!
Go for it!
Here’s hoping USF’s decision earlier this week to move forward and approve the funding for a new [COLOR=var(--primary)]$340 million on-campus football stadium[/COLOR] will help the Bulls join UCF in the Big 12 someday.
“As you all know [in Orlando], this can make a huge difference in the trajectory of your athletic program,” [COLOR=var(--primary)]USF athletic director Michael Kelly[/COLOR] told me on Friday when asked how this might help USF during the next round of conference realignment. “Obviously, you don’t do this strictly for that reason … but I do think this makes us much more attractive for whatever our future might hold.”
I’ve been consistent over the years in my contention that the Big 12 should have added UCF and USF whenever it chose to expand. It’s always baffled me why a Power 5 league wouldn’t want to have two thriving, growing universities in huge TV markets. If the Big 12 had UCF and USF, it could dominate the I-4 corridor that runs through the center of one of the most populated, recruiting-rich, football-fanatical states in the country.

Even former UCF football coach George O’Leary — certainly no fan of USF — was pushing for the Big 12 to take the Knights and Bulls as a package deal several years ago. O’Leary rightfully believed that geographic rivalries are the lifeblood of college football and often said that the Knights and the Bulls being in the same conference and playing each other every year elevated both programs.
“When you combine Orlando and Tampa, we’re the fourth-largest TV market in the country behind New York, L.A. and Chicago,” O’Leary told me once when asked if the Big 12 should consider UCF and USF. “That brings substantial revenue to any conference that is looking to expand. I think we have a lot to sell, but you need to be ready or you’re going to be left behind.”
UCF’s program, of course, was in the right place at the right time while USF’s was not. That’s why the Knights are moving into the Big 12 and USF is left behind in a watered-down American Athletic Conference. The Knights were the first college program in the state to build an indoor practice facility and followed that up by moving out of the old Citrus Bowl and into their new on-campus stadium 16 years ago.
Shortsighted USF fans and former administrators used to make fun of UCF’s cheaply built “Bounce House” while the Bulls were playing in the Tampa Bay Bucs’ palatial NFL stadium. However, Kelly and USF’s current administration commend UCF’s foresight all those years ago. While the Bulls were paying rent to the Bucs, UCF was building financial equity by owning its own stadium and investing that equity in the infrastructure of their program.
In addition, when the stadium opened, Saturday afternoons became a gathering spot where former students and current students tailgated together. O’Leary and late president John Hitt were amazed at how many longtime alumni told them that the stadium brought them back to campus for the first time since they’d graduated. As a result, booster donations rose significantly.
“Having an on-campus stadium injects a great school spirit into campus life, which obviously is a great asset to athletics,” Kelly said. “Also, ironically, the three teams from the American [UCF, Houston and Cincinnati] that are moving on to the Big 12 have all either built or done significant $100 million renovations to their stadiums in the last 15 years or so. It’s not coincidental that this has led to their opportunity.”
Then again, it takes more than an on-campus stadium and upgraded facilities to get into a Power 5 league; it takes some luck, opportunity — and winning. Let’s face it, the main reason UCF got into the Big 12 wasn’t because the Knights had an on-campus stadium; it was because they had back-to-back unbeaten seasons in 2017 and ’18 and built a national brand. If the roles were reversed and USF had been the “hot” program when the Big 12 was realigning, the Bulls would be in the big-time and UCF would be left behind.
The major question those in Tampa are having centers on whether USF’s gamble pay off. After all, the Bulls are planning to borrow more than half of the cost of the $340 million stadium — $200 million over 20 years with an interest rate estimated at 5.5%. Will the new stadium generate enough money to pay off the $18 million annual debt and still generate significant revenue for the athletic department? In contrast, UCF’s stadium was built for about $60 million with very little debt and became an immediate money-maker.
Although the Bulls are moving forward with the new stadium, upgrading their other athletic facilities (they just opened a new $22 million indoor practice facility) and enhancing their academic reputation (USF just got invited into the prestigious Association of American Universities), there is no guarantee they will ever get invited into a Power 5 league.
Even so, when I asked Kelly if the $340 million stadium gamble is worth it, he didn’t hesitate.
“Oh, yeah, I think it’s absolutely worth it,” he replied. “A lot of athletic departments have to take on debt to get certain things done. And one thing I know for absolute certain, if we’re going to build a stadium, it’s not going to get any cheaper moving forward. As our board [of trustees] chairman said, ‘The best time to plant a tree was 20 years ago, but the second-best time is now.’ ”
Here’s hoping USF’s tree will someday soon be growing beside UCF’s tree in the Big 12.
Go Bulls!

• Dislike
Reactions: Knight59
Does Bianchi ever get bored of recycling the same articles?

I am hoping we were the last guy/gal off a sinking ship. They deserved to be punished for not being proactive , some of these same leaders were smug and were sure playing at Raymond James was an asset

Orlando....ORLANDO Sentinal. Always has been and always will be a joke in their support in UCF. Always find a way to say stupid shit. I never click on anything from the OS or subscribe to anything they publish. He writes like we actually give a shit about USF and their future. USF can burn in hell and I still wouldnt care. :)

• Love
Reactions: FoxKnight
"It’s always baffled me why a Power 5 league wouldn’t want to have two thriving, growing universities in huge TV markets."

“When you combine Orlando and Tampa, we’re the fourth-largest TV market in the country..."

Why have 2 when 1 would take most if not all of the other's market. 1st, get rid of the myth that Florida is football crazy, it isn't. It's name brand football crazy. There is a difference. Football crazy would actually mean a nearly capacity attendance, every week. It means a professional non-NFL team would be supported. That means to get the 4th largest market, you just need 1 team that broadcasts the name brand conference and name brand teams. Taking both just limits your market. Which do you delete- Ohio? 'national' footprint of BYU? Just so you could take in a market you'll already have? It never made sense and I only was for it because we were the little one who needed help-- a selfish not logical reason.

Reactions: ProAttitude
I'm sure USF will eventually get into a P5 conference one day (if college football even resembles what it looks like today) but it's going to be at least 12 years away.
12 years they'll be a member of the ACC, which will be part of the G7. But just wondering, what makes you think they're get in eventually? What are they doing that others haven't done years ago, or are in the process of doing? Before you mention education, both Tulane and Buffalo have had that distinction for a long time. Not causing an argument here, I just don't see anything they're doing that would get attention over a bunch of others.

Reactions: Knight59
not all markets are the same. Tampa has become a pro focused market. they with an OCS is more likely to be similar to Houston than UCF. And Houston was close to being left out till the Rockets owner got involved

Bianchi conveniently left out how they Genshafted us years ago. He forgets that with USF in a lower conference than us, we won't have to fight with them for a good recruit who wants to stay close to home. There is no way USF getting into a P5 conference helps UCF. None. Even though he's been here a long time, I think this shows he doesn't truly understand the animosity between the two schools, maybe because he went to UF. I agree with what Beelit said above ... might be his worst article ever.

Bianchi conveniently left out how they Genshafted us years ago. He forgets that with USF in a lower conference than us, we won't have to fight with them for a good recruit who wants to stay close to home. There is no way USF getting into a P5 conference helps UCF. None. Even though he's been here a long time, I think this shows he doesn't truly understand the animosity between the two schools, maybe because he went to UF. I agree with what Beelit said above ... might be his worst article ever.
I’d be fine playing them every year, but no way usf helps being in a P5 or has ever helped us progress in the past (quite the opposite, it’s been well documented). F those guys and their shitty fans.

TV markets are overrated for college sports, its more about how much control you have over the market and how connected you are to the culture. Pro teams have better control over the markets in large metros since the only "prerequisite" is living in said city versus universities where many fans are alumni or somehow directly connected to the school. Being realistic UCF has limited influence in the Orlando market, same with USF and Tampa. Even pro teams in FL have poor influence, there are too many people from all parts of the country that move to FL that create diverse loyalties. Same can be said for many large cities.

Small town schools have an advantage in building that culture since the can be the large fish in a small pond i.e. Gainesville, Tuscaloosa, Clemson, etc... Fans take that passionate culture then spread it. Long story short: adding USF does not help us "dominate" the I-4 corridor.

I'm assuming that when the media deals expire (ACC+), USF will presumably have righted their ship so to speak. I think like CA, FL can accomodate 5+ P5 schools.
12 years they'll be a member of the ACC, which will be part of the G7. But just wondering, what makes you think they're get in eventually? What are they doing that others haven't done years ago, or are in the process of doing? Before you mention education, both Tulane and Buffalo have had that distinction for a long time. Not causing an argument here, I just don't see anything they're doing that would get attention over a bunch of others.

I’d be fine playing them every year, but no way usf helps being in a P5 or has ever helped us progress in the past (quite the opposite, it’s been well documented). F those guys and their shitty fans.
All seven of them!

I will never forget that!

Just reading that name gets me fired up. I remember teaching my kids why I hate USF.

"Judy Genshaft (USF President) is behind this. She unsuccessfully tried to stand in the way of UCF getting a medical school and now she's trying to stand in the way of UCF's football program. It's becoming very transparent, and it's time for our state legislature to say enough is enough." - former Florida Senator Lee Constantine

Just reading that name gets me fired up. I remember teaching my kids why I hate USF.

"Judy Genshaft (USF President) is behind this. She unsuccessfully tried to stand in the way of UCF getting a medical school and now she's trying to stand in the way of UCF's football program. It's becoming very transparent, and it's time for our state legislature to say enough is enough." - former Florida Senator Lee Constantine
despite UCF admissions being more desirable than USF the youth of our medical school is why we have issues to get the status they suddenly care about

Orlando is a better college market than Tampa

any UCF fan that actually agrees w Bianchi is a naive idiot. Just look at the visits we are getting this next recruiting cycle. We have all been saying ‘just get us close to the same financial playing field and watch the potential explode’ . UCF has a chance to get way ahead and never look back.

The Orlando Tampa TV Market is huge! I love the rivalry. They'll suffer for a few more years....and maybe longer but there's too much money to be made by not eventually getting them into the BIG-12....IMHO :cool:
As unpopular a take as you have, you are 💯% right. The only reason these entities want USF to improve is purely financial. UCF will ultimately benefit from USF raising its level.

As for now, UCF is head and shoulders above USF and should operate as such. You people should not consider USF your equal. I do not want UCF folks to continue to consider USF a rival UNTIL USF improves its status.

In fact, your fanbase should step over USF like a businessman in San Francisco steps over a whino on the sidewalk on his way to work.

As unpopular a take as you have, you are 💯% right. The only reason these entities want USF to improve is purely financial. UCF will ultimately benefit from USF raising its level.

As for now, UCF is head and shoulders above USF and should operate as such. You people should not consider USF your equal. I do not want UCF folks to continue to consider USF a rival UNTIL USF improves its status.

In fact, your fanbase should step over USF like a businessman in San Francisco steps over a whino on the sidewalk on his way to work.
NICE write up Auburn! I'm impressed! :)

A rivalry with usf gives Bianchi something to write about. He can’t really be a hypocrite and suddenly say he’s against usf joining the Big XII when he‘s been supporting UCF‘s inclusion in a P5 conference and supporting us through our undefeated seasons.

I get so much satisfaction from leaving usf and their delusional, self righteous fans in our rear view mirror that I can’t bring myself to hope for good things for them. I’d rather include FAU in the BigXIi and build a rivalry with them. Still within driving distance for both schools‘ fans and a convenient travel partner for our teams.

A rivalry with usf gives Bianchi something to write about. He can’t really be a hypocrite and suddenly say he’s against usf joining the Big XII when he‘s been supporting UCF‘s inclusion in a P5 conference and supporting us through our undefeated seasons.

I get so much satisfaction from leaving usf and their delusional, self righteous fans in our rear view mirror that I can’t bring myself to hope for good things for them. I’d rather include FAU in the BigXIi and build a rivalry with them. Still within driving distance for both schools‘ fans and a convenient travel partner for our teams.
Tom Herman admitted a few months ago that they were copying the ‘UCF blueprint’ . It would be funny if FAU beats them a few times in a row then starts becoming the G5 darling and they now have a good basketball program

They were so f-in mean to us for years!! Payback is hell!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT