ADVERTISEMENT

Dealing with mid-Afternoon Hangriness

UCFBS

Todd's Tiki Bar
Gold Member
Oct 21, 2001
USA
Q: How do people here deal with hunger when dieting, especially if you've used intermittent fasting?

Details/TL;DR:

After a couple of months, I'm finding my intermittent fasting works best by eating mid-afternoon, and no later than 6pm, as I hit I try to the sack by midnight. After 6+ hours after I've ate, my 'pangs' die down so I can sleep without waking up, at least most of the time.

So my eating hours are always within 1400-1800 (2-6pm, 4 hours), although I've been trying to keep it 1500-1700 (3-5pm, 2hours), and sometimes I get so busy, it slips to just eating 1600-1630 (4-4:30pm).

The problem is if I don't eat by 1300 (1pm), I really get 'Hangry.' It's really bad by 1430, and by 1500, I'm biting heads off. It's getting noticed at meetings, especially since I end up having a lot of meetings 1400-1600 most weekdays.

I also don't like eating before 1400 at the earliest, because that cause a -- well -- 'movement' within 30-60 minutes, and I usually have meetings. There's also limited bathroom availability at work (no joke, it's really bad, many jokes at work among all us men too) from noon to 1500.

Hence the call for input, suggestions, anything at this point ... other than, "eat before 1400."

Drink heavily, pass out, wake up hours later weighing less.
I've never drank in my life, but I am tempted to start drinking a single glass of wine in the evenings to reduce my stress and even help various other aspects.

Of course, that doesn't help me in the morning before work. ;)

I eat OMAD on weekdays since I find it way easier than weekends. Once I'm at work and getting after it, it's pretty easy to stop worrying about being hungry and just move onto other things.

The worst is typically around 930 or so but I have a coffee and water and I'm good.

Get home by 430 or 5, workout, and eat a huge dinner.

Weekends are harder but I eat 2-3 meals on weekends anyways.

I've never drank in my life, but I am tempted to start drinking a single glass of wine in the evenings to reduce my stress and even help various other aspects.

Of course, that doesn't help me in the morning before work. ;)
1-2 glasses of red wine at night is supposed to lower your risk of heart disease

1-2 glasses of red wine at night is supposed to lower your risk of heart disease
Yes, and I'm an 'uptight' and 'stress-heavy' person. My annual physical is next week, so I'll be bringing this up.

I'm also trying to get a couple of screenings that insurance normally doesn't cover under age 50, because my younger brother now has cancer, and the regular screenings missed it entirely (it actually took 2 biopsies).

Reactions: Ucfmikes
Drink heavily, pass out, wake up hours later weighing less.

An old friend told me that when he used to travel with his band in his younger days, he would take a shot of Nyquil instead of eating because he was too poor. Your theory has merit.

Reactions: Ucfmikes and UCFBS
It sounds like an old man type of fix, but just drink a glass of water with a couple tablespoons of metamucil.

It sounds like an old man type of fix, but just drink a glass of water with a couple tablespoons of metamucil.
Fiber gummies help, but I still take them closer to eating time at 1500-1600 or so.

I eat OMAD on weekdays since I find it way easier than weekends. Once I'm at work and getting after it, it's pretty easy to stop worrying about being hungry and just move onto other things.
The worst is typically around 930 or so but I have a coffee and water and I'm good.
Get home by 430 or 5, workout, and eat a huge dinner.
Weekends are harder but I eat 2-3 meals on weekends anyways.
That's basically where I'm at, OMAD, or 'the meal' within 2 hours mid-afternoon. I just eat a bit earlier than you at 1400-1600, and try to not eat after another 2 hours. My aimpoint is 800 calories, but I slip to 1,200 at times.

I mean, none of this is unexpected. I'm basically fasting so my body will eat itself, as I'm way, way obese. It's working but is getting tougher.

I also do 1,200-2,000 steps up stairs a day (x2 that to include walking back down). Our stories are a bit taller, 40 stairs, as our datacenter is split-level for power-cooling distribution, and the ceilings are tall, so it's really 3 flights (13 steps per flight) per our 1 story (2 split level of 15 foot ceilings each). I end up doing 30-50 * 40 = 1,200-2,000 steps of our stories a day at a minimum, usually 20-25 morning, 10-25 evening, although sometimes I just do the 30 in one run. The stairwell I use is very secluded.

That's basically where I'm at, OMAD, or 'the meal' within 2 hours mid-afternoon. I just eat a bit earlier than you at 1400-1600, and try to not eat after another 2 hours. My aimpoint is 800 calories, but I slip to 1,200 at times.

I mean, none of this is unexpected. I'm basically fasting so my body will eat itself, as I'm way, way obese. It's working but is getting tougher.

I also do 1,200-2,000 steps up stairs a day (x2 that to include walking back down). Our stories are a bit taller, 40 stairs, as our datacenter is split-level for power-cooling distribution, and the ceilings are tall, so it's really 3 flights (13 steps per flight) per our 1 story (2 split level of 15 foot ceilings each). I end up doing 30-50 * 40 = 1,200-2,000 steps of our stories a day at a minimum, usually 20-25 morning, 10-25 evening, although sometimes I just do the 30 in one run. The stairwell I use is very secluded.
Since you described yourself as obese and you have the willpower to diet I'm going to give you a suggestion. There's a company called Standard Process that has a 21 day cleanse/detox program. I'm actually doing it right now and it's my third round of it in 10 years, and I can say unequivocally that it's a really good starting off point for losing weight. One of my best friends is a nutritionist and we have talked a lot about what the best ways are for losing weight and getting healthy. It all starts with the gut. The absolute first thing a person needs to do is make sure that their intestines and colon are functioning properly if you want to lose weight. Once that is done, you need to do whatever you can to make your liver and kidneys be able to process fats and sugars adequately. Until you do that, your body isn't able to absorb nutrients and start utilizing the fat stores in your body so you'll go into starvation mode and whatever you eat will just get stored.

Other than Standard Process, there is a product system by Colonix that I used a couple of times that is really good at cleaning out the gut. It doesn't require the same kind of willpower but it can be a little bit uncomfortable and you have to make sure that you are near a bathroom in the mornings. They work in different ways but both are very effective and a good starting point.

Since you described yourself as obese and you have the willpower to diet I'm going to give you a suggestion. There's a company called Standard Process that has a 21 day cleanse/detox program. I'm actually doing it right now and it's my third round of it in 10 years, and I can say unequivocally that it's a really good starting off point for losing weight. One of my best friends is a nutritionist and we have talked a lot about what the best ways are for losing weight and getting healthy. It all starts with the gut. The absolute first thing a person needs to do is make sure that their intestines and colon are functioning properly if you want to lose weight. Once that is done, you need to do whatever you can to make your liver and kidneys be able to process fats and sugars adequately. Until you do that, your body isn't able to absorb nutrients and start utilizing the fat stores in your body so you'll go into starvation mode and whatever you eat will just get stored.

Other than Standard Process, there is a product system by Colonix that I used a couple of times that is really good at cleaning out the gut. It doesn't require the same kind of willpower but it can be a little bit uncomfortable and you have to make sure that you are near a bathroom in the mornings. They work in different ways but both are very effective and a good starting point.
As long as they are low in sodium, I'm interested. I have Conn's Syndrome so I have to watch my sodium intake to a whole new level.

As long as they are low in sodium, I'm interested. I have Conn's Syndrome so I have to watch my sodium intake to a whole new level.
The SP system has no sodium, I can't say on Colonix because I haven't done it in a while and don't have any jugs of it left. With SP, it's basically 2 steps. The first lasts for 7 days: you have 3 "shakes" a day and take 7 cleanse pills and 3 fiber pills, 3 times a day. The cleanse pills are for your gut. The next 2 week you replace the cleanse pills with 2 green food pills that are intended to help your liver and kidneys and keep taking the shakes. You can only drink water and only eat certain vegetables and fruits while you're doing it, but in all honesty I still drink coffee in the mornings, have a couple of beers every once in a while, and have a cheat meal a few times. Obviously, the stricter about your diet you can be the better but it's not like you can't cheat. It's better to keep taking the pills and shakes regularly no matter what, which some people don't seem to understand. A diet or cleanse never has to be all or nothing, just do your best.

For me personally, the first time I did this system I lost about 20 pounds in 3 week and then went on to lose another 20 in the few months that followed. This time around, I'm on day 8 and I'm down about 7 pounds so pretty much on track. For reference, I'm 5'11 and got up to about 215 but I'm pretty muscular so I wouldn't call myself obese. The first time around I got down to about 185 over the whole course of things, cleanse followed by P90x and I was pretty ripped, although still technically obese by the governments BMI chart.

I went from 212 to 188 that way. I cut out a lot of sugar too.
I might have been able to do that in my early 30s, but not in my late 40s. I lost 70lbs. that way in my early 30s. But I've gained 30lbs of it back since.

I might have been able to do that in my early 30s, but not in my late 40s. I lost 70lbs. that way in my early 30s. But I've gained 30lbs of it back since.

That probably has to do with anything but a 16-8 eating schedule

I went from 212 to 188 that way. I cut out a lot of sugar too.
Honestly ive read alot that anything after 12 hours of no fasting is productive. Beyond 16 IMO is a little crazy and i would wonder if it supports the ability to produce the necessary nutrients to build muscle etc

Honestly ive read alot that anything after 12 hours of no fasting is productive. Beyond 16 IMO is a little crazy and i would wonder if it supports the ability to produce the necessary nutrients to build muscle etc
When you're as fat as me, I think the rules are different.

I ran my weight to 310 in 2013 after my brother died. I have gotten down to a still fat 244 with IF but i follow a flexible 12-14 hr fasting period. If im hungry after 11 hours, i eat once i go 12. If i feel i can make it to 14 or even 16, i do so. For me though it is the exercise that is crucial to keep it off. I workout 4-5 days per week high intensity. Probably why im injured everywhere

Most everything we were taught about nutrition, building muscle, kickstarting a metabolism, etc was wrong. That's the issue and now everyone with science is trying to correct what we've been doing wrong for years.

Mon-Fri when I'm home, I am doing OMAD. 22 hours fasting with 2 hours allowed for a meal and a drink or two. During those days, I typically will go to the gym and lift at lunch. A quick, 20-30 minute high intensity lift session. HIIT. As many max out reps that I can do on a 4-5 rep basis. I will then either go back to work or go home (work from home often) and then around 5 pm I'll do some form of a 20 minute high intensity cardio DVD. Insanity is the choice usually.

I've never once felt lacking energy or felt like I couldn't sustain energy. Quite the opposite actually; I'm stronger on weights at 34 than I was at 24 and when fasting I have incredible focus and energy.

Even with a "huge" dinner, I can still realistically only eat 1,500 calories or so at one time. Most people are taking down 3,500 to 4,500 calories a day in this country. I am completely full and satisfied every day, I just drink a ton of water.

I essentially eat once a day and that's sometime between 6-8pm. I'm a rarely hungry between but sometimes will snack or have something light in the morning. In the instances I eat lunch then usually I just have a snack before bed. Probably been doing it for 5-6 years now and thought it was funny when this whole fasting thing became a thing. Weekends I might smoke on the grill and eat earlier. 2 or 3 Sundays a month I'll do my favorite hot breakfast food's and on those days might actually end up eating 2 meals lol.

Just try this.

Put on one of those UCF podcasts (there are a ton) with your headphones, walk for 20-40 minutes every day on the treadmill with an incline or outside, and drink 1-2 glasses of wine at night on days you are stressed. Additionally, increase your caffeine content. It burns calories. Increase your water content to feel full

There’s no magic diet or pill. No secrets.
Burn more calories than you take in.

I’m older than you, have one of the most stressful jobs and a crappy diet for the most part, but I’m still fit.

Just try this.
Put on one of those UCF podcasts (there are a ton) with your headphones,
I have several subscriptions on Player FM, including 2x UCF, for the drive back-forth to/from work, but I usually "climb" (see next) to Lave Radio.
walk for 20-40 minutes every day on the treadmill with an incline or outside
I do 1,200-2,000 stairs up, not steps, stairs up (double to include stepping back down) ... a day ... over 2x 20 minute sessions. So that's not the issue, especially since it burns 300+ calories, easily, possibly 500 for 2,000 stairs with my weight.

and drink 1-2 glasses of wine at night on days you are stressed.
This is what I'm considering. I've never drank, and I've been wondering if my liver is not as ideal as it could be as a result.

Additionally, increase your caffeine content. It burns calories.
So I went caffeine free 2-3 years ago. I find I sleep a lot better. But it is also a diuretic, so it may be related to my Conn's Syndrome. I need to get back to the endo.

Increase your water content to feel full
I already drink 3-4L of water a day. In fact, I may be over-hydrating. I drink so much, mainly because of my allergies, and try to avoid anything else. Sometimes I"ll have 0.5-1L of G2 or Powerade Zero.

Last edited:
I do 1,200-2,000 stairs up, not steps, stairs up (double to include stepping back down) ... a day ... over 2x 20 minute sessions. So that's not the issue, especially since it burns 300+ calories, easily, possibly 500 for 2,000 stairs with my weight.

This is what I'm considering. I've never drank, and I've been wondering if my liver is not as ideal as it could be as a result.

So I went caffeine free 2-3 years ago. I find I sleep a lot better. But it is also a diuretic, so it may be related to my Conn's Syndrome. I need to get back to the endo.

I already drink 3-4L of water a day. In fact, I may be over-hydrating. I drink so much, mainly because of my allergies, and try to avoid anything else. Sometimes I"ll have 0.5-1L of G2 or Powerade Zero.
Sounds like you should be thinner. Have you had your thyroid checked?

Sounds like you should be thinner. Have you had your thyroid checked?
It's next. My mother is in thyroid failure, so it's definitely in my genetics. So far I have more of my father's (e.g., haven't grayed much, etc...) but, alas ... this might be one I have of hers I have.

As I said, I've gotta get back to my endo. Right now I've been working with the cardio more. My 2nd BP number shot up to over 100, even over 110, resting at age 44 (2.5 years ago to start 2016), after being always under 80 prior, including my last 4 physicals done at 40, 41, 42 and 43, without issue.

That's when my endo discovered I had Conn's Syndrome. Every other cardiologist in Orlando just keep trying to slow my heart with Beta blockers, until it was approaching 40bpm, for 0 impact (still 100-110+). The cardio here in BHM sent me to an endo. I've had some permanent nerve damage in my hands due to that stupidity (some reversed by mid-2017 thanx to the endo).

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT