ADVERTISEMENT

Declaring Yourself National Champs So Pathetic

The best comeback anyone can give us is "if."

1. If we played this...
2. If we were this...
3. Yadda yadda yadda

Tired and nothing but excuses from the haves. We are the have nots and did everything in our power with what was given us and that's why we claim it.

First, let me say congrats on an amazing year. I think Scott Frost is the real deal and your team should be ranked #3 in my opinion.

I just think having a parade declaring yourself National Champs makes you guys look bad. Imagine if next year you get the 4th slot to the playoffs and win the National Championship and the team who got ranked #5 and misses out does the same?

I know you UCF fans will never agree, but you must do an compare apples to apples comparison in terms of scheduling and the grueling week in week out games. It is very tough to have to get a team up for multiple big games against top teams. Just look at the 4 teams who made the playoff.

For example, there is a big difference in having to play 5 straight opponents like (Cincinnati 4-8, East Carolina 3-9, Navy, Austin Peay and SMU 7-6 and UCONN 3-7) versus having to play a 5 game stretch like having to play a 5 game stretch in the SEC like LSU, Texas A&M, Georgia, Missouri and and South Carolina. I'm sure you would agree. Injuries mount up do to playing a more physical week in week out schedule.

In closing I feel UCF had a great team, great year and great coach. I do believe in UCF had been in the SEC, Big 10 or ACC for example, you would have never been undefeated and I dount you would have made the playoffs. I would predict a 2 losses which is still a GREAT YEAR.

I know Auburn is a legit team but I do feel the loss to Georgia let the air out of their balloon and their final four games before they played you guys were Georgia, Louisiana Monroe, Alabama and Georgia which is very tough and did cause injuries, but no excuses. I do feel if UCF had played Oklahoma, Alabama or Georgia they would have lost.

But do not call yourself National Champs when you are not because it makes you look like a bad losers, cry babies and makes you look like you do not respect the system. The key to top teams is winning every year. Not a great year then 10 more years of average.

I wish I had the kind of time this dude has... To be able to go on other teams boards and type several letters.

I barely have time to read my own alma mater's message boards, let alone respond with thoughtful text.

I guess I am blessed with purpose in this life.

First, let me say congrats on an amazing year. I think Scott Frost is the real deal and your team should be ranked #3 in my opinion.

I just think having a parade declaring yourself National Champs makes you guys look bad. Imagine if next year you get the 4th slot to the playoffs and win the National Championship and the team who got ranked #5 and misses out does the same?

I know you UCF fans will never agree, but you must do an compare apples to apples comparison in terms of scheduling and the grueling week in week out games. It is very tough to have to get a team up for multiple big games against top teams. Just look at the 4 teams who made the playoff.

For example, there is a big difference in having to play 5 straight opponents like (Cincinnati 4-8, East Carolina 3-9, Navy, Austin Peay and SMU 7-6 and UCONN 3-7) versus having to play a 5 game stretch like having to play a 5 game stretch in the SEC like LSU, Texas A&M, Georgia, Missouri and and South Carolina. I'm sure you would agree. Injuries mount up do to playing a more physical week in week out schedule.

In closing I feel UCF had a great team, great year and great coach. I do believe in UCF had been in the SEC, Big 10 or ACC for example, you would have never been undefeated and I dount you would have made the playoffs. I would predict a 2 losses which is still a GREAT YEAR.

I know Auburn is a legit team but I do feel the loss to Georgia let the air out of their balloon and their final four games before they played you guys were Georgia, Louisiana Monroe, Alabama and Georgia which is very tough and did cause injuries, but no excuses. I do feel if UCF had played Oklahoma, Alabama or Georgia they would have lost.

But do not call yourself National Champs when you are not because it makes you look like a bad losers, cry babies and makes you look like you do not respect the system. The key to top teams is winning every year. Not a great year then 10 more years of average.
Not that it matters. But technically UCF isn’t claiming a National Championship. Major publications have actually proclaimed and awarded them a share of the National Championship. It isn’t like UCF is the only ones that claim they won it. Other major outlets have also recognized them as National Champions.

So what’s your argument?

TL; DR just skimmed your post

UCF is the National Champion because they played 11 games without a break. No bye weeks. What other team in the country played 11 games over 11 weeks? Don't be butt hurt that UCF did what others couldn't do. We have computer models from the BCS era that show the CFP's bias over P5 schools. We are a Co National Champion with Alabama this year whether you like it or not.

Who else other than Colley?
Wobus http://www.vaporia.com/sports/
Boyd ISR http://football.kislanko.com/2017/ISR_current.html
KRACH http://sports.vaporia.com/collegefootballkrach.html
Ernst Zermelo http://docs.wixstatic.com/ugd/84c233_579a9c93fa5c4c8fbd6c56072c459070.pdf
MJS http://sagedrive.com/mjs_standings/2017/summary.htm
Mark http://mcubed.net/ncaaf/2017/index.shtml
Roundtable Retro http://www.rtsratings.com/curCFBRetro.asp

In the 6 major selector computer rankings UCF finished #1 in only Colley Matrix. #2 in A&H and Wolfe, #3 in Billingsley, #8 in Massey, and #13 in Sagarin (though #1 in pure ELO). Sagarin non ELO formulas have bias toward historical rankings.

I wish I had the kind of time this dude has... To be able to go on other teams boards and type several letters.

I barely have time to read my own alma mater's message boards, let alone respond with thoughtful text.

I guess I am blessed with purpose in this life.
He's P5 poster....has the budget to back it.

Reactions: Nautiknight

This all started because the media wanted an 8-team playoff, and the CFP committee head -- post-Peach -- said UCF wouldn't have made it, and stood by their ranking outside the top 10.

That's really it.

Even Danny White has repeated the message ... in a year where many P5s lost, most to teams not even in the top 50, it really was screwed up. We need not only an 8-team playoff, but a BCS + human poll system (UCF would have been #7 = #3 comp avg + #10 human poll svg), and not this "We consider the American a crappy G5 conference."

The Big XII and PAC 12 are pretty much no better, and even worse (in the case of the PAC 12 this year), than the American.

OK, take a 90% revenue cut, lose your Sec stadium, play in the iron bowl in front of 25-30K fans, lose your high profile coaches (all of them), lose your recruiting budget and then come win the American or better yet, go undefeated. I’ll hang up and listen..

TL; DR just skimmed your post

UCF is the National Champion because they played 11 games without a break. No bye weeks. What other team in the country played 11 games over 11 weeks? Don't be butt hurt that UCF did what others couldn't do. We have computer models from the BCS era that show the CFP's bias over P5 schools. We are a Co National Champion with Alabama this year whether you like it or not.
I think Miami did too. But they lost 3 straight.

OK, take a 90% revenue cut, lose your Sec stadium, play in the iron bowl in front of 25-30K fans, lose your high profile coaches (all of them), lose your recruiting budget and then come win the American or better yet, go undefeated. I’ll hang up and listen..
these bandwagon idiots would ditch college football if they lost their P5 tag.

We didn't get injuries because we are faster than other teams and we eat better than other teams. We played 11 straight weeks with few injuries.

Alabama went 3-1 against the top 25. We went 4-0.

Alabama lost to Auburn. We beat Auburn.

Alabama lost a game. We went undefeated.

Alabama claims national claims, nobody has a problem until we do.

Why are the rules different?
It comes down to strength of schedule during the regular season. Before playing Auburn we were ranked 67th. There were 2 Power 5 programs that ranked lower than us. Kansas at 70th and Illinois at 77th. That is it. Up until the playoffs Bama was 10th. That unfortunately is the difference. Until we start creating a tougher schedule we will never be taken seriously.

It comes down to strength of schedule during the regular season. Before playing Auburn we were ranked 67th. There were 2 Power 5 programs that ranked lower than us. Kansas at 70th and Illinois at 77th. That is it. Up until the playoffs Bama was 10th. That unfortunately is the difference. Until we start creating a tougher schedule we will never be taken seriously.
A tougher schedule can be done another way - with the teams you play having a good year.
But this is dangerously getting close to merging a thread.

Last edited:
Again...a lot of that is just perception and bias. Why would kansas and Illinois schedule be that low? They played their conference schedules. Why would they be that different than half the other teams in thier conference.

Last edited:
Reactions: GoKnights2003
Again...a lot of that is just perception.
Correct but the facts are - 2010 Big East had an AQ - three way tie for first with UConn - a 4 loss team going to its BCS bowl.
2011 Big East - 23rd ranked team with 3 losses going to a BCS bowl
Big East loses its AQ status after.
2014 American - three way tie for first with 3 losses
2016 American - conference title featuring 3 loss teams that are unranked.

These are the seasons we need to avoid.

Reactions: Knight Badger 80
When the committee decides who is tough and who isn’t, SOS is affected how ever they want it to be. They can say Kansas’s is tougher than FIU even though FIU would probably beat them because they can do that. SOS means jack when they control that too.

Not sure what numbers you are looking at but Sagarin strength of schedule put Alabama at 38th after the playoff. Not sure how you look at that schedule and come up with top 10. Also 2/3 of the SEC ended up with a strength of schedule on par with UCF and tell me how many of them were undefeated.

You’re right, we don’t respect the system it’s rigged and biased towards P5

Reactions: UCFBS

giphy.gif

Reactions: muckdawg24
When the committee decides who is tough and who isn’t, SOS is affected how ever they want it to be. They can say Kansas’s is tougher than FIU even though FIU would probably beat them because they can do that. SOS means jack when they control that too.
They will say, with a straight face, that a win over Texas is better than a win over Maryland. Even though UCF dominated Maryland a week after Maryland blew out Texas.
The CFP doesn't use SOS to compare teams, they use Strength of Brands.

This is what keeps going over the heads of fans that have been conditioned to believe polls. Your opinion doesn't matter, my opinion doesn't matter. We have a system that's based on people's opinions rather than settling it on the field. It's the only sport in professional, college, high school, middle school where champions are selected off of people's opinions. Alabama didn't even win their division let alone their conference but because in everyone's opinion they would beat UCF it's ok to call them national champions. UCF has just as much right to claim a championship as Alabama does until the system is fixed.
I agree, This is bigger than UCF it's about a broken playoff system. I guess if your an SEC fan your happy with the system since two SEC teams was selected. I would put Ohio State or Penn State up against Alabama this year. We will never truly know who the best team was in 2017. I am not convinced Alabama was the best! :sunglasses:

Damn those SOBs!!!
Yep. We literally need to refer to that from now on, a constant message.

"The CFP doesn't actually consider Strength-of-Schedule (SoS), and they definitely don't use Strength-of-Record (SoR) at all. Their primary measure is Strength-of-Brand (SoB)."

I love how these trolls say if we were in a different conference we wouldn't have gone undefeated. We'll never know this. But at the same time do we get all the benefits of being in said conference, like $$$, and the difference it would make in our recruiting??

If you take an AAC team and put them in the SEC, he is correct we would probably lose a game. But given SEC goodies, we would be just fine.

It really is a stupid argument.

This 100 times over.
Wed be a completely different team if we were already in a P5 considering the recruiting hurdles we have as a G5. Idiots dont get it.

The only good team on that list was Georgia. LSU was barely average, Texas A&M was down right pathetic, Missouri and South Carolina were were Average.

Your Analysis sounds like those fools at ESPN. Yep we were suppose to lose badly to Baylor yeah that didn't happen. No chance against Auburn and yeah that didn't happen either. I can't help you can't see past a name and see the team, maybe that is why you thought Texas A&M was a tough opponent. You may now go back to being blind to reality and return to your own board.

Your week in week out schedule is so tough. I'm so impressed with wins against the Mighty Bear cats then having to get up for the huge game the next week against the 3-9 Pirates. How in hell did you guys get through that game and have to play National power House Austin Peay the next week?

Keep stroking yourselves. You would have NEVER gone undefeated in a tough week in week out conference. It's not the one or two tough games the entire year. Its having to play 4-5 in a tougher conference and having to get up each week for a Kentucky, Florida and Texas A&M versus East Carolina, Austin Peay and the Fag Bear Cats
Admit it, you're stroking yourself.

Reactions: Mikesi
They will say, with a straight face, that a win over Texas is better than a win over Maryland. Even though UCF dominated Maryland a week after Maryland blew out Texas.
That's why the win over Auburn was huge because of their brand even though objectively a win over a higher ranked 11-1 Big 12 conference champ in the Fiesta bowl was better. People have probably already forgotten that Baylor had the best offense of any team this century and finished ranked in the top 13 4 out of the last 5 years under Briles.

That's why the win over Auburn was huge because of their brand even though objectively a win over a higher ranked 11-1 Big 12 conference champ in the Fiesta bowl was better. People have probably already forgotten that Baylor had the best offense of any team this century and finished ranked in the top 13 4 out of the last 5 years under Briles.

In both games we "reversed" the spread (or nearly did).

Baylor was a 16.5 point favorite. Take out the garbage TD they got at the end and we beat them by what THEY were favored by.

Auburn was a 10.5 point favorite. If we make just one of those FG's we beat them by what THEY were favored by.

Nothing like beating the team by the same amount of points that the so called experts said they would beat you by.

Reactions: Knight_Light

While I agree that we can improve our schedule (no FCS teams) to increase our SoS, the bias will still exist. Even with Kansas at 70th and Illinois at 77th, if either of those teams go undefeated with their schedule they would have been in the playoff without a debate. No way that the CFI can or will leave out an undefeated P5. We did not even get in the top 10.

Reactions: ucfast00
Yep. We literally need to refer to that from now on, a constant message.

"The CFP doesn't actually consider Strength-of-Schedule (SoS), and they definitely don't use Strength-of-Record (SoR) at all. Their primary measure is Strength-of-Brand (SoB)."

Could not agree more. This is how it has been and always will. I have no doubt that if Notre Dame had played our exact same schedule this year and went undefeated they would have been in the playoff.

Sagarin combo SoS rankings 2017

Virginia Tech 52
East Carolina 54
Washington 55
Tennessee 57
LSU 58
Miss State 59
Navy 60
South Carolina 61
Arizona 62
Kentucky 63
Colorado 64
Tulsa 65
Vanderbilt 66
Ole Miss 67
Houston 68
UConn 69
UCF 70
Missouri 72
Memphis 75

The gap between an AAC schedule and a P5 schedule is razor thin.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT