ADVERTISEMENT

DG to UCLA

Great campus and University but like I said in the mega thread this definitely wasn’t his initial plan

and Chip Kelly runs his QBs a lot, his Offense is more similar to Gus’s than Heupel’s
Chip is being considered for Oregon and from what I understand is just difficult to work with. And UCLA is a high academic international student body that doesn’t care about football.

Good luck selling your socks lol

• Haha
Reactions: FoxKnight
Chip is being considered for Oregon and from what I understand is just difficult to work with. And UCLA is a high academic international student body that doesn’t care about football.

They already hired someone. The day after Kelly interviewed.

I was looking at their roster. They have about 5 QBs. Most are taller and can run. They just signed a 4 star kid that’s 6’4” and can run. Not sure why he and KZ picked P5 schools with other options. Struggle for a quarter and you get yanked.

Reactions: jtGoldenKnights
Nice guy, great arm just...we all have decisions we made when we were young that we wish we could have taken back. At least he'll be close to family. CA. will tax the crap out of his NIL money.
What NIL money? I doubt he makes much money pedaling socks now, and our fan base loved him. I guess we’ll just see how it works out. I gotta agree with the previous poster that the program isn’t any more of a higher profile. The complaint has always been nobody watches the west coast games anyways so now less exposure.

Reactions: Poolside Knight
What NIL money? I doubt he makes much money pedaling socks now, and our fan base loved him. I guess we’ll just see how it works out. I gotta agree with the previous poster that the program isn’t any more of a higher profile. The complaint has always been nobody watches the west coast games anyways so now less exposure.
The same company that has naming rights to our arena was paying him. I’m sure there were others we didn’t know about. Every player in every sport gets something. I forget name of company but they give everyone that plays a sport money.

And UCLA is a high academic international student body that doesn’t care about football.

for a normal student it isn’t a bad thing but for a QB that seems to want to be the center of attention he just chose to play for the LA College Football version of The Clippers. Their basketball program gets their students more engaged

ironically UCF has a higher ranked recruiting class than UCLA according to 247 and we still got another year as a G5

Reactions: KnightLife1
Has anyone considered that maybe Gus just didn't want DG? Maybe the combo of skillsets, fit within the offensive scheme and attitude was not in line with what Gus wanted?

Reactions: PhDee
Has anyone considered that maybe Gus just didn't want DG? Maybe the combo of skillsets, fit within the offensive scheme and attitude was not in line with what Gus wanted?
Did you see our QB play after Gabriel went down? Do you think Gus saw our QB play after Gabriel went down? No I don't think that's what happened.

There is a difference between not wanting him and a QB/coach that are not on the same page. For all we know they could have been bickering behind close doors since February when Gabriel was close to bolting. We do know that the relationship started off on the wrong foot immediately, and it ended the way it did. There was more that happened in-between. Gus was never going to kick out his only good QB, but it also didn't mean he liked him behind closed doors either.

There is a difference between not wanting him and a QB/coach that are not on the same page. For all we know they could have been bickering behind close doors since February when Gabriel was close to bolting. We do know that the relationship started off on the wrong foot immediately, and it ended the way it did. There was more that happened in-between. Gus was never going to kick out his only good QB, but it also didn't mean he liked him behind closed doors either.
I think Gus was open to building a relationship. DG wasn’t.

DG is the worst ever. He can hock those socks in the homeless partitions of LA.

From DG to Double gin in a flask

What do you mean things started off on the wrong foot?

What do you mean things started off on the wrong foot?
When he showed displeasure for Malzahn getting hired and scrubbed his social media pages of UCF.

Which there was many on this board and Twitter that had similar negative responses when Malzahn was closing in on the job.

Reactions: PhDee
I still don’t get this UCLA still has Dorian Thompson Robinson coming back I thought. DTR is a pretty damn good QB and a four year starter. Don’t see DG beating him out for the job.

Reactions: KnightLife1
I still don’t get this UCLA still has Dorian Thompson Robinson coming back I thought. DTR is a pretty damn good QB and a four year starter. Don’t see DG beating him out for the job.
I just read an article saying DTR is almost certainly entering the draft.

even if DTR leaves the other QB Garber played well in relief ..not as empty of a depth chart as I originally thought

The same company that has naming rights to our arena was paying him. I’m sure there were others we didn’t know about. Every player in every sport gets something. I forget name of company but they give everyone that plays a sport money.
Yeah, they had Dillon's image on their website home page not too long ago. They had his image in one of the branches, too, when you walk in. They used to only use Knightro's image. I imagine that they'll be using more UCF player images in their promotional materials going forward.

Reactions: BlakNGoldAllDay
Last word...he had great stats but which team won the last game he was the starter in? He got hurt on the last play after he lost his last game played for us. The defense had just made an incredible play against their very talented QB and we had the ball in a great position to go ahead.

He needed to stay here and lose the "loses the big, tight game against good competition" label which never happened in his two years as a starter. What did Gus do wrong other than get the job from a coach who left everybody high and dry? Gus was forcing him to grow in his skill set and he didn't like it. Now in order to get the starting position at UCLA he will have to play the position exactly the way that Gus was asking him to play it. Go figure his decision ???

Last word...he had great stats but which team won the last game he was the starter in? He got hurt on the last play after he lost his last game played for us. The defense had just made an incredible play against their very talented QB and we had the ball in a great position to go ahead.

He needed to stay here and lose the "loses the big, tight game against good competition" label which never happened in his two years as a starter. What did Gus do wrong other than get the job from a coach who left everybody high and dry? Gus was forcing him to grow in his skill set and he didn't like it. Now in order to get the starting position at UCLA he will have to play the position exactly the way that Gus was asking him to play it. Go figure his decision ???
Move on...

No need to move on, I like your review. DG was awesome and could have grown and excelled in Gus’ system, which he was way more efficient in while developing in more than just a deep ball seam route throwing qb. He threw for 300+ yards in 2/3 of his games with Gus, obviously they struggled against Louisville but we had so many impact players injured I feel that was more the issue. He also had a lot of success running, which if he did in 2019, we go undefeated again (minus bowl game - not against BYU).

Also, I have to point out, he hit Amari Johnson in the lead shoulder that resulted in the pick 6 to lose the game. Hard to blame him, I was in attendance with awesome seats, Amari prob gets an easy 15-20+ yards if he catches that, maybe even a TD. Would have been a totally different season and DG would either be drafted or coming back for Sr season…we would have never had to watch the ineptitude that is MK, probably ever. Just think about it, Amari Johnson screwed everything

Last edited:
No need to move on, I like your review. DG was awesome and could have grown and excelled in Gus’ system, which he was way more efficient in while developing in more than just a deep ball seam route throwing qb. He threw for 300+ yards in 2/3 of his games with Gus, obviously they struggled against Louisville but we had so many impact players injured I feel that was more the issue. He also had a lot of success running, which if he did in 2019, we go undefeated again (minus bowl game - not against BYU).

Also, I have to point out, he hit Amari Johnson in the lead shoulder that resulted in the pick 6 to lose the game. Hard to blame him, I was in attendance with awesome seats, Amari prob gets an easy 15-20+ yards if he catches that, maybe even a TD. Would have been a totally different season and DG would either be drafted or coming back for Sr season…we would have never had to watch the ineptitude that is MK, probably ever. Just think about it, Amari Johnson screwed everything
That's the reason that qbs are taught not to lead a receiver into a possible collision with an oncoming linebacker... bad things often happen, which it did. The incompletion and interception are the fruition of the risks that qbs are taught to avoid.

If you leave you car unlocked with your rolex and laptop on the seat do you only blame the thief who stole them or do you accept responsibility for the fact that you enabled circumstances known to lead to the outcome? Both are true, but only one initiated the domino effect.

That's the reason that qbs are taught not to lead a receiver into a possible collision with an oncoming linebacker... bad things often happen, which it did. The incompletion and interception are the fruition of the risks that qbs are taught to avoid.

If you leave you car unlocked with your rolex and laptop on the seat do you only blame the thief who stole them or do you accept responsibility for the fact that you enabled circumstances known to lead to the outcome? Both are true, but only one initiated the domino effect.
You must love Mikey Keene and his roll to the right and throw the ball out of bounds at the first inkling of any sort of pressure style of play.

Gabriel did everything right. Receivers need to make plays in traffic, like the other guy mentioned he was even going to have room to run if he makes the catch, he’s gotta make the catch.

I know man its like a divorce...I'm processing through it :) I do like the kid but he looks funny in the picture of him in his new uniform with UCLA.

Reactions: U C to the F
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT