ADVERTISEMENT

Did Cincinnati's poor performance in the CFP hurt UCF 2022's chances?

Central Floridave

Todd's Tiki Bar
Aug 21, 2001
(Hey, I'm getting good at these cick-bait titles, but follow along.)

With Cinci's 27-6 drubbing in the play off game with Bama and with them more-than-likely-going-to-have-a-down year in 2022, does their loss hurt 2022 UCF's chances of making the CFP 4 game play off if we go undefeated?

UCF 2022 Schedule:
Date Opponent
Sept. 1 (Thur.) SOUTH CAROLINA STATE
Sept. 9 (Fri.) LOUISVILLE
Sept. 17 @Florida Atlantic
Sept. 24 GEORGIA TECH
Oct. 1 SMU*
Oct. 13 (Thur.) TEMPLE*
Oct. 22 @East Carolina*
Oct. 29 CINCINNATI*
Nov. 5 @Memphis*
Nov. 12 @Tulane*
Nov. 19 NAVY*
Nov. 25/26 (Fri./Sat.) @SOUTH FLORIDA*
Dec. 3 AAC Championship Game
*American Athletic Conference game

Good in-depth article on Cinci spring progress on finding a new Qb & Rb.

Reactions: Knight Strength

With Cinci's 27-6 drubbing in the play off game with Bama and with them more-than-likely-going-to-have-a-down year in 2022, does their loss hurt 2022 UCF's chances of making the CFP 4 game play off if we go undefeated?

UCF 2022 Schedule:
Date Opponent
Sept. 24 GEORGIA TECH
Oct. 1 SMU*
Oct. 13 (Thur.) TEMPLE*
Oct. 22 @East Carolina*
Oct. 29 CINCINNATI*
Nov. 5 @Memphis*
Nov. 12 @Tulane*
Nov. 19 NAVY*

This is a funny thread.

Reactions: Stormthecourt?
Remember Cincinnati got in because they had one loss season prior and that one loss was by 3 points to Georgia in a NY6 Bowl then in 2021 they played an always over rated but national ranked Notre Dame team and also a what was supposed be a good Indiana team for their non conference schedule, UCF ain't getting in unless some the non conference teams on schedule are ranked at the end of year plus couple conference teams are ranked with one only losses was to UCF

Last edited:
Like Cincinnati, need to have every team in the nation lose 2 except for 4 teams and one of those 4 lose to UCF.

Great insights. Cinci broke the glass ceiling but the poor performance, in my opinion, will ruin UCF chances. And, of course, probably zero chance to begin with. But, maybe we face Houston in conference champ game and they are highly ranked. Houston was 12-2 last year and beat Auburn in the bowl game. UCF needs some help in Strength of Schedule. That is if we go undefeated (knock on wood, throwing salt over my shoulder). I think we can but this time of year got my black-n-gold glasses on tight!

UCF should be a better team than last year and the schedule is in our favor with Loserville, GaTech, and Cinci at home.

Yes. Even if the stars were aligned for us the way they were for Cincy we would be denied. Sadly it's over for AAC teams.

I was not aware that Cinci showed poorly. Thought it was a valiant effort against the national champs. Better than ND and others had done
True, it was actually close most of the game. Cincy offense struggled though.

UCF has no chance for 2022 regardless. It takes at least 2-3 years of being ranked top 10 consecutively as a G5 to be considered getting in. We almost had a shot during our run but lost to LSU. If Cinci goes undefeated in 2022 I bet you they dont get in again.

I'm still in conspiracy mood, Cincy got in because they became a P5, via invitation. It was a no-threat invite. Same goes for all 4. No 'real' G5 will get in. But, since it was done once, they can wait another 10 years till they do it again. As long as Vandy, Kansas etc are considered P5, hence important wins, schedules don't matter.

Reactions: Central Floridave
Cincy never had an explosive offense and this was exposed in that last game. Last season was a fluke as many teams had 2 loses and couldn't jump Cincy in last polls. They got the one big win over Notre Dame and held onto that for making the playoffs. 2023 it's on us to produce a perfect season to go to CFPs if Putin doesn't blow up the world by then.

UCF 2022 Schedule:
Date Opponent
Sept. 24 GEORGIA TECH
Oct. 1 SMU*
Oct. 13 (Thur.) TEMPLE*
Oct. 22 @East Carolina*
Oct. 29 CINCINNATI*
Nov. 5 @Memphis*
Nov. 12 @Tulane*
Nov. 19 NAVY*

In that case, then, Michigan, Oklahoma, Oregon and Notre Dame should never be invited to the event because they got blown out of the water.

Also, no need to worry about the invitational as I don't think the team will go undefeated.

Reactions: Square Knight
In that case, then, Michigan, Oklahoma, Oregon and Notre Dame should never be invited to the event because they got blown out of the water.

Also, no need to worry about the invitational as I don't think the team will go undefeated.
You're talking about some blue bloods who people think are a class above the rest of us. Its not right but, after Cincy's performance, perception of "G5" teams will prevent us from making the CFI in 2022.

Top part is spot on.

Going undefeated is hard, but I don't see a team on the schedule that we cannot beat. We have more talent all around, and we will have better QB play throughout the season. No one expected us to go undefeated in 2017, but we did.

Reactions: U C to the F
Top part is spot on.

Going undefeated is hard, but I don't see a team on the schedule that we cannot beat. We have more talent all around, and we will have better QB play throughout the season. No one expected us to go undefeated in 2017, but we did.
And no one expected us to go winless in 2004 or 2015.....

Reactions: PositYourself
Top part is spot on.

Speaking of better QB play, I would personally feel way better about our chances if JRP is out there instead of MK. For some reason that’s not a shared sentiment, don’t understand why though. If MK is the starter, he better have made some big strides or it’ll be another frustrating offensive year.

JRP adds another dynamic that will open up more opportunities for the WR and more running opportunities for both QB and RB. I’m excited about that.

Cincinnati showed that a G5 team can make the playoffs and it’s not a conspiracy theory. Sure…, they had to win every game, beat Notre Dame on the road, beat another P5 team etc. Everything had to align perfectly for them, but they broke the barrier

As far as the game, they played better than a lot of teams did in the playoffs. It wasn’t a blowout. They broke the barrier for another G5 team, but that soon won’t be a issue for us. We escaped the G5 hell

IMO, they were outcoached. They should have ran Ford more. Ridder missed a few throws, but he wasn’t going to beat Alabama with his arm or run away from them. He clocked surprisingly fast at the combine though

Defensively, Nick Saban was going to run the ball and try to wear them down. It worked. Cincinnati should have stacked the box, played man coverage and allowed Young the Alabama QB to beat them. They were lacking receivers and some say that “Sauce” is the best PLAYER in the draft.

Speaking of better QB play, I would personally feel way better about our chances if JRP is out there instead of MK. For some reason that’s not a shared sentiment, don’t understand why though. If MK is the starter, he better have made some big strides or it’ll be another frustrating offensive year.

JRP adds another dynamic that will open up more opportunities for the WR and more running opportunities for both QB and RB. I’m excited about that.
Your thoughts on JRP are accurate...IF he significantly improves his passing.

If JRP's passing is like it has been in the past, defenses can pretty much focus on stopping the run...regardless if it is a RB or the QB carrying the ball.

Ohio State lost to Clemson like 33-0 or something right. I guess it's ok for teams like Ohio State to get blown out and not ok for teams like Cincy. Nobody said they didn't belong after Clemson dismantled then. The media pundits and p5 fans are just idiots . Soon we will be amongst them. 😂

If UCF goes undefeated and there are maybe one or two others , we got a shot. Do I expect it ? Nope . But, Gus has some star cache story , Auburn coach fired, builds UCF into another undefeated team kind of story. Who am I kidding, they shut us out again.

Ohio State lost to Clemson like 33-0 or something right. I guess it's ok for teams like Ohio State to get blown out and not ok for teams like Cincy. Nobody said they didn't belong after Clemson dismantled then. The media pundits and p5 fans are just idiots . Soon we will be amongst them. 😂

If UCF goes undefeated and there are maybe one or two others , we got a shot. Do I expect it ? Nope . But, Gus has some star cache story , Auburn coach fired, builds UCF into another undefeated team kind of story. Who am I kidding, they shut us out again.
With our schedule, I honestly think it’s a zero % chance even if we run the tables

If you want to talk about perception and 'blue bloods' all you gotta do is look at the ESPN preseason top 25. Gators are in it. UCF beat Gators in the bowl game and are coming into 2022 as a better team than 2021. Gators have a new coach and a lot of their returning players left (one even came to UCF). Yet, they are in the top 25 and UCF ain't. It is what it is.

If you want to talk about perception and 'blue bloods' all you gotta do is look at the ESPN preseason top 25. Gators are in it. UCF beat Gators in the bowl game and are coming into 2022 as a better team than 2021. Gators have a new coach and a lot of their returning players left (one even came to UCF). Yet, they are in the top 25 and UCF ain't. It is what it is.
It really is insane isn’t it?

Houston is getting some preseason love by ESPN with it's preseason poll at #13. Their schedule looks doable to keep them highly ranked if go undefeated.

So best case scenario, UCF goes undefeated and meets a Top Ten Houston in the Conf Champ game and wins. Then consideration?

All rhetorical as going undefeated is difficult and just off-season discussion.

Houston is getting some preseason love by ESPN with it's preseason poll at #13. Their schedule looks doable to keep them highly ranked if go undefeated.

So best case scenario, UCF goes undefeated and meets a Top Ten Houston in the Conf Champ game and wins. Then consideration?

All rhetorical as going undefeated is difficult and just off-season discussion.
Meh. I will firmly believe that we are going undefeated until the team proves me wrong.

It really is insane isn’t it?
Effing buuuuullshiiit, is what it is!
I hate preseason polls. The 2 so-called major polling platforms shouldn’t be allowed to list polls until at least 3 weeks into the season.
Corrupt as it may be, at least the CFP waits several weeks before issuing their rankings.

Reactions: sk8knight
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT