ADVERTISEMENT

Do we have a chance against #11 Cinci tomorrow night? Away?

I'd say maybe a 1 in 10 chance to win @ Cincinnati. Williams will have to be unconscious. They have been played close by Temple twice, SMU, and Tulsa. Anything can happen.

Reactions: UCFhonors
I'd say maybe a 1 in 10 chance to win @ Cincinnati. Williams will have to be unconscious. They have been played close by Temple twice, SMU, and Tulsa. Anything can happen.
Yeah, Almost everything would have to go our way.....Mattie hitting like 60%, Tacko rebounding, hitting low post, and making his free throws. Keep turnovers low.

Could get ugly :-/

Did I mention "away" :)
Realistically this could be a blow out. Depends on who shows up for UCF.
Traditionally, seems like we don't play well on the road at all.
Thoughts?
We clobbered a very good Charleston (essentially an away game) and a good Team Miss. St. (on a neutral court) without AD and before Nate was available to spell BJ. The 10 pt. loss in the tourney championship vs. top-ranked Villanova was surprisingly close. We edged a decent UMass despite horrible games by our BJ, AD, and Tacko (because Tank and Nick hit everything they threw up). Got beat convincingly at GW, but without BJ and just after losing to a worse Penn team at home. So during OOC games, the road didn't seem to be a deciding factor.

In league play, home cooking more clearly helped. UCF split their home-and-away with Houston and Memphis, though both away losses were close. However, blowouts at Tulsa and UConn (along with at GW) were our worst of the season.

Yeah, Almost everything would have to go our way.....Mattie hitting like 60%, Tacko rebounding, hitting low post, and making his free throws. Keep turnovers low.
Could get ugly :-/
Definitely could. But we can't win by trying to avoid mistakes. Upsets occur when opponents get into the heads of the superior team: causing their players and fans to doubt themselves or not take us serious enough, and then expect to come back because they always have.

Their coach is an a-hole perfectionist who is always riding his players for every error. His teams continually get eliminated early in the NCAA tournament, so he seems frustrated and obsessed about doing well in mid-March while dismissing his AAC opponents as minor league. That arrogant viewpoint has been adopted by Cincy players. So it would be so cool to be the ones in our conference to cut them down to size!

Speaking of being blown off the court, Tulsa got outscored 2 to 1 at Memphis in the second half, losing by 22. Nobody seems to be able to beat the other away from home. Now we are tied with Tulsa at 6-5, after once high-flying Tulsa has lost in succession to Cincy, SMU, and Memphis! However, Memphis who we just nailed, now leads us by a game and a half. UConn and Houston are sure to win tomorrow night (against USF and Tulane).
So if we lose to Cincy, we fall to 7th, but if we win, we'll be all alone in 5th (right now we're tied). And if we win both games this week and Houston loses at Tulsa, we'll be tied for 4th at 8-5! That's how close the middle 5 teams are.

Looks like we are -10 to -13 point dog. A 1:3 odds of winning with a 23.6% chance of winning -realtimerpi

I don't think this is a "we have to play perfect to win" type of game. Profs keys to win the game is great. It shows that we have 2 very different styles of play. It's so important that we force the game into our style of play.

That's what the rest of the nation says. Big whoop! They're projected to be a 4 seed in the NCAA tournament and probably get upset again by a 12 seed. How long since they had Oscar Robertson?
how long since you've sniffed the tourney? decade plus?

6. Cincy is confident/arrogant.
lol proof of this?

Arrogant Cincy world-beaters fell apart to Tulsa.

Their coach is an a-hole perfectionist who is always riding his players for every error. His teams continually get eliminated early in the NCAA tournament, so he seems frustrated and obsessed about doing well in mid-March while dismissing his AAC opponents as minor league. That arrogant viewpoint has been adopted by Cincy players. So it would be so cool to be the ones in our conference to cut them down to size!
this part isn't even close to being true, and i guarantee you have no evidence of this. were you posting this bullshit under the assumption no one would call you out?
here's him dismissing the AAC opponents as minor league speaking positively about our recent AAC opponents:

boy oh boy, so much hate from one little man. don't worry, sweetheart. i'll be back occasionally to keep an eye on you. someone's gotta call you on your BS. :)

go cats

Actual discussion sure.

BJ Taylor our PG is our best player - probably a top 4 guard in the league - AAC. He is a scoring PG and only averages about 4 assists a game.

Then our 2, Matt Williams has unbelievable 3 point range. He is a big SG, at 6'5". We play very well when he is driving to bucket and getting assists.

BJ, Matt, and Tacko are our big names. Our other 4 main players have to get involved for us to have a chance.

Who should we be looking out for on Cincy?

And FIFY
moving to this thread

lol (toknight) - gave me a chuckle

forgot about Williams. volume shooter and efficient to boot. that's not a great matchup for us, as we're around the 100th "best" 3pt defense.

as far as cincy goes, this is Mick's most balanced UC team ever. i saw an earlier post that basically said "UC relies on the 3", then later said "UC relies on Washington's inside game". that's exactly it; they're very well-rounded. they play very good inside out ball.

UCF's fg% defense is #1 in the country i believe. so if Tacko is doing his defensive thing inside, the rest of the Knights can hypothetically contain the perimeter (keep in mind our centers and forwards step outside and shoot as well, which might be key to this game).

but on a player-by-player analysis:
washington: almost self explanatory. 6'10" with the softest hands in the world. an absolute monster against centers 7' or shorter (absolutely destroyed Brimah) on the offensive end. somewhat of a liability on the defensive end. shoots the long ball well. (junior)

clark: 6'7" power forward. possibly the most complete player we have. gets it done on both ends. incredibly high basketball IQ. willing passer. AAC defensive player of the year last year. shoots the long ball well. (junior)

caupain: 6'4" PG. having a somewhat down year but easily our best clutch/big moment player. as of last week, had the best assist-to-turnover ratio in the country (senior :(). 5th all time in assists in UC history, just passed Oscar recently.

evans III: 6'6" guard. best pro prospect. has a silky jumper. defense is okay. takes himself out of games (mentally) sometimes. (sophomore)

cumberland: 6'4" big body guard. TRUE FRESHMAN. absolute stud. can drive, finish, and can be lights out from 3. liability on defense most games.

kevin johnson: 6'3" guard - easily our best on ball defender. solid spot up shooter. couldn't finish a 5-on-0 drive to the hoop; just simply can't.

arguably one of our best interior defensive players (Brooks - 6'11") is most likely out with a hyperextended knee.

we're one of the (if not THE) worst FT shooting teams around.

Last edited:
moving to this thread

lol (toknight) - gave me a chuckle

forgot about Williams. volume shooter and efficient to boot. that's not a great matchup for us, as we're around the 100th "best" 3pt defense.

as far as cincy goes, this is Mick's most balanced UC team ever. i saw an earlier post that basically said "UC relies on the 3", then later said "UC relies on Washington's inside game". that's exactly it; they're very well-rounded. they play very good inside out ball.

UCF's fg% defense is #1 in the country i believe. so if Tacko is doing his defensive thing inside, the rest of the Knights can hypothetically contain the perimeter (keep in mind our centers and forwards step outside and shoot as well, which might be key to this game).

but on a player-by-player analysis:
washington: almost self explanatory. 6'10" with the softest hands in the world. an absolute monster against centers 7' or shorter (absolutely destroyed Brimah) on the offensive end. somewhat of a liability on the defensive end. shoots the long ball well. (junior)

clark: 6'7" power forward. possibly the most complete player we have. gets it done on both ends. incredibly high basketball IQ. willing passer. AAC defensive player of the year last year. shoots the long ball well. (junior)

caupain: 6'4" PG. having a somewhat down year but easily our best clutch/big moment player. as of last week, had the best assist-to-turnover ratio in the country (senior :(). 5th all time in assists in UC history, just passed Oscar recently.

evans III: 6'6" guard. best pro prospect. has a silky jumper. defense is okay. takes himself out of games (mentally) sometimes. (sophomore)

cumberland: 6'4" big body guard. TRUE FRESHMAN. absolute stud. can drive, finish, and can be lights out from 3. liability on defense most games.

kevin johnson: 6'3" guard - easily our best on ball defender. solid spot up shooter. couldn't finish a 5-on-0 drive to the hoop; just simply can't.

arguably one of our best interior defensive players (Brooks - 6'11") is most likely out with a hyperextended knee.

we're one of the (if not THE) worst FT shooting teams around.

Great breakdown. Much appreciated!.

The big thing I'll be looking for is if we can stop Washington down low AND guard your 3pt shoots. That in a nut shell is our defense (Tacko defending down low and the other 4 guarding the 3) and is why we are #1 in FG% defense. The other big thing is how can we dial back Cincy's aggressive defense who I always perceive as great at forcing turnovers and scoring off of turnover (Don't know if stats backs that up, - just my perception). Some games, we forget that you're allowed to pass. If that happens, again, it could be an ugly game for us.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT