ADVERTISEMENT

Do you hang your diploma?

cnsaguy

Diamond Knight
Gold Member
Sep 18, 2002
For those of you that have offices, do you hang your diploma on the wall? Either under grad or grad or both. Attorneys don't count because we know they do.

I used to but don't anymore. I'd have to take down my National Champ flag to make room and pissing people off is more important.

Reactions: fabknight
For those of you that have offices, do you hang your diploma on the wall? Either under grad or grad or both. Attorneys don't count because we know they do.

I used to but don't anymore. I'd have to take down my National Champ flag to make room and pissing people off is more important.
None of my 5 diplomas are on display because there's no need to show off how educated you are. It's tacky.

Nope. Still in the “Do Not Bend” envelope in my dresser at my parents’ house.

And cue the USF jokes...

Being a traveling consultant for most of my career, I haven't for most of it.

One time I had to vacate a 'troublesome client' and didn't get all my stuff back -- books and even some work memorabilia that was dear to me. This includes one client keeping my signed Hera from CRC @fabknight. I wish I still had that, as CRC was my first, salaried job, and it meant a lot to me. I'm still pissed at that client's manager.

So I didn't for a long time.

But at my current, full time employee (FTE) job, I do. I want people to know I actually graduate from UCF. It's not an arrogance thing.

Being in IT, I don't hang my 4 dozen IT certifications (less than half of them are active/non-retired). I only keep them in a binder in case a client wants 'verification' (especially older ones not on-line), which several have required. To display those would be far more arrogant.

One time I had to vacate a 'troublesome client' and didn't get all my stuff back -- books and even some work memorabilia that was dear to me. This includes one client keeping my signed Hera from CRC @fabknight. I wish I still had that, as CRC was my first, salaried job, and it meant a lot to me. I'm still pissed at that client's manager.
Seriously? They wouldn't let you keep your Hera photo? That was a long time ago so do I assume it was Jeff or Diane?

I can check to see if I have any extra photos if you'd like. I may have one boxed up somewhere.

What is a “Hera”?
It was a target missile developed to test missile defense systems. It utilized a lot of modified Minuteman parts (rocket motors, the Integrated Electronics Unit (IEU), etc) with re-entry vehicles (both unitary and separating configurations) to simulate foreign threats.

It was a target missile developed to test missile defense systems. It utilized a lot of modified Minuteman parts (rocket motors, the Integrated Electronics Unit (IEU), etc) with re-entry vehicles (both unitary and separating configurations) to simulate foreign threats.

Aka a simulated ICMB [sic], cool!

Nope. Still in the “Do Not Bend” envelope in my dresser at my parents’ house.

And cue the USF jokes...

Have you seen some of the dolts on this board who apparently have UCF degrees? We really can’t rag on your for going to USF.

Seriously? They wouldn't let you keep your Hera photo? That was a long time ago so do I assume it was Jeff or Diane?
Yep, I was under Jeff (1996-1999).
Neither Jeff nor I wanted to move me under Diane. I was actually going to transition more to 100% coding on the software team. handing off 100% of my duties, before I had the offer (with a 40% pay increase, and 5 miles from my house in Oviedo) from that semiconductor startup in mid 1999. The latter still exists, but I got laid off with 85% of the company in 2001.

Jeff was of my favorite managers of all-time, until my current one. Especially back when I was young, brash, had wasn't always the most tactiful. I mean, I'm still a bit stubborn and definitely detailed, but I really lacked a lot of tact in my early years (especially for someone being such an 'outside-the-box' and '3rd party viewpoint' any way).

I can check to see if I have any extra photos if you'd like. I may have one boxed up somewhere.
Oh, it's okay. I miss the signatures on it, and the comments, more than anything. But greatly appreciate the offer.

I still love the "Bryan, remember ..." with "Core Dump" and a big red circle and line through it, by another long-time GKC and Dungeonite here. Even my current boss loves the "Bryan, no core dump on this one," when it comes to something she needs quick.

What is a “Hera”?
This post was more for @fabknight and a couple of others. But since you asked,
Hera is a family of ballistic missiles, including air dropped/launched (Hera-SRALT from C-130, Hera-LRALT from C-17).
I worked with a lot of smart people well beyond my young experience at the time.

Last edited:
Reactions: fabknight
Have you seen some of the dolts on this board who apparently have UCF degrees? We really can’t rag on your for going to USF.

I'll agree with you there, you'd think a college grad would be able to spell a 4 letter acronym correctly.

Mine is hanging for the first time to fit in with the normies. If I was still working somewhere where no one else did I wouldn’t.

So it was a model of a rocket that was signed? At least that is what I gather. If so, pretty cool!

So it was a model of a rocket that was signed? At least that is what I gather. If so, pretty cool!
It was a photograph in a nice frame. In the early days of Coleman Research Corporation, when you left the company, everyone signed a photo and they'd frame it for you. The company evolved after being acquired a couple of time and it later just became a printed copy of a whatever missile program you worked the most.

I left the company twice so I have two of them in a box somewhere.

Reactions: crambone
I staged my graduate degree behind me when I was interviewing for a job over Skype, its still there, and its been like 6 months.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT